Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: 6.5L Turbo Diesel Blazer Project

Thumbs up September 2, 2024 Update - Rough Country, High Mountain Lakes!

Here are 3 photos we took on a camping trip about a month ago.

The above photo shows the Blazer on the road to a pair of lakes here in Montana's Bitterroot Valley called "Twin Lakes", elevation about 6500'. It's a 20 mile drive from US-93 to the lakes, about 15 of it on gravel. This mountain valley was formed via glacial action during the last ice age. Lotsa granite boulders...

The above shows the lower of the two lakes. The fish were biting! Cutthroat Trout... Access was not that great, forcing boaters to scramble across the boulders to put in. Not a lot of "scrambling" at my age...

Here's the Blazer at the camp site we chose. Lots of vacant sites to choose from. The CG had 12 sites in total, but just 3 were occupied. Our site's fire-ring and nice picnic table are just out of sight behind the Blazer. The well kept FS outhouse is just a stone's throw away to the left.

The 270 degree Oztent awning was deployed here. On the way out we stopped to pick wild berries (Oregon Grape and what looked/tasted like Blueberries - actually Service Berries). Didn't see any bears... Fun Trip! The 6.5TD did a great job! Sarah drove both ways.
    Last edited by More Power; 09-03-2024 at 11:14.

I remember as a kid camping sights like that in Califurnika. Now mostly paved with 3 year advance reservations. Florance lake was a great one. Primitive camping spaces and piles of obsidian where you could find broken and imperfect arrowheads. Had to have been 1959 / 1960. Or near June Lake a place called Skunk Meadows. And a hike to Little Tahquitz Valley known now as the top of Palm Springs Tram'
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Quote Originally Posted by a5150nut View Post
    I remember as a kid camping sights like that in Califurnika. Now mostly paved with 3 year advance reservations. Florance lake was a great one. Primitive camping spaces and piles of obsidian where you could find broken and imperfect arrowheads. Had to have been 1959 / 1960. Or near June Lake a place called Skunk Meadows. And a hike to Little Tahquitz Valley known now as the top of Palm Springs Tram'
    I tried to hunt deer while stationed in the central valley of CA in the fall of 1977 or 78. We (my on-base neighbor and I) went to the periphery of Yosemite one fall to hunt the small deer there. It wasn't like Montana. People everywhere - with impenetrable thorny patches that the terrified little deer hid out in. The thorny patches here and there were so thick you could walk across some of them. Bad idea... I got a thorn in my leg that penetrated nearly an inch and broke off. My legs were so beat up that I somehow didn't even notice the broken off thorn till I got home that evening. Incidentally, I talked to one hunter who shot a deer across a ravine (about 100 yards wide). Someone took his deer and raced off before he could get to it. Insert his sad face here...

The camping trip this time was different - fewer people for sure. The last time I'd been to these lakes was in 1967 or 68... A buddy and I each rode a motorcycle that time.
    Last edited by More Power; 09-03-2024 at 11:17.

Thank you for sharing the great pics.
    So glad y'all had a great time....
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Smile 6.5L Turbo Diesel Blazer Project - Back from the Dead

Introduction: This "Murdered Out" 1994 6.5L Turbo Diesel Chevy Blazer was brought Back from the Dead after the engine sat in a thousand pieces for over 11 years. We solved the problems caused by melted pistons, a gouged crankshaft, and cracked cylinder heads.

Had fun with this one! Check it out. There's some new video that hasn't been shown before... including at the very end.

Jim

Great Video Jim,
    I watched the whole thing.
    Good Content!
    d
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Absolutely wonderful presentation.
    The excitement in your daughters voice says it all.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Thanks Dave and Robyn!

Sarah also shot some of the video and stills used in this video. She had 100% confidence in the end result as we worked through the project. No pressure! I'm still amazed...