Thread: Stamped-Steel Rocker Arms - Brass Buttons

Lightbulb Stamped-Steel Rocker Arms - Brass Buttons

The plastic buttons, used with the 6.5 rocker arm assemblies, came up recently here in our forum, and that reminded me of a photo member MJ McCarroll sent to me some years ago.

As I recall, MJ used a specially hardened tap to thread the holes that were used by the plastic buttons., then added bolts and brass washers.

My experience with the factory plastic buttons has been a good one. I've not had a problem, though I do replace them whenever I do cylinder head work.

Through the years, I've heard from a couple of 6.5 owners who had varying degrees of problems with plastic button breakage. In one case, the buttons kept breaking even after replacing them... I suspect the root cause was a problem with the valve train that was causing the breakage (i.e. bent rocker, bent pushrod, bent valve stem or something other).

I liked MJ's idea, so I thought I'd show you all what he did. Thanks MJ!

Im haven the same issue wih the buttons. new heads using the old valves and rockers. have had it break 3 differant buttons in less then 500 miles on new heads. I am going to tap and rplace with bolts and brass washers I was just hope that any one Or MJ Mcarrolcould tell me wharethey foundrhe rass washers atso donthave to waist timend mile looking. Thanks

I suspect MJ produced his own brass washers for his project using brass round stock and a lathe.

There must be an underlying cause of the button breakage in your situation. Something is bent, broken or out of alignment... or there is a piston clearance issue. something... something is out of the ordinary. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by zippy555 View Post
    Im haven the same issue wih the buttons. new heads using the old valves and rockers. have had it break 3 differant buttons in less then 500 miles on new heads. I am going to tap and rplace with bolts and brass washers I was just hope that any one Or MJ Mcarrolcould tell me wharethey foundrhe rass washers atso donthave to waist timend mile looking. Thanks
    You should be able to locate brass washers at the hardware store... like ACE. You may need to stack a couple to get the thickness you want, or you may need to chuck them in a drill/drill-press to file/sand the outer edge to reduce the diameter a bit. The rocker shafts are pretty hard, so buy a quality tap, use cutting fluid and go slow.