PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in 4th gear

Murray the Cop
10-04-2003, 18:37
I am running the Quad 135 in the 135hp setting and am on the third tuner. Everything was fine untill I attempted a pass on the hwy. I was at about 75 and hit it to pass, around 85 the truck bucked as though I left the speed limiter on, laid down a nasty smoke screen and then I was stuck in 4th gear. What happened? Checked codes and 0700 code comes up. This is not the first time for the code hence the third tuner. It is the first time for the 4th gear thing. Set the truck back to stock but left the code for the dealer. I'm not sure thats the right thing to do. SI clear the code first? Thanks

mackin
10-04-2003, 18:46
Called LIMP mode ..... Shut truck off, let it set a few minutes and restart .... Truck should shift normal but still show a MIL lamp .... It will eventually extinguish it self with a few start stops of the ignition cycle ..... Sooner than later it wont full limp but zing to neutral ....The code will remain unless you have access to a Tech II or similiar ....
Keep handy =>
www.suncoastconverters.com (http://www.suncoastconverters.com) .....

Mac ;)

Kennedy
10-05-2003, 15:16
The Quad tuner can reset the codes. Sounds like you zinged the transmission. This is why I suggest the "managed" boxes as they are far less prone to do this...

MAV
10-05-2003, 15:57
You limped 5th gear. I did this yesterday with my Quad 135. You most likely have 2 codes there. Plug in your tuner and turn the key on. The screen says unleash the power or get DTC codes. Use the down arrow and select the DTC. Hit Y. Use the up down arrow to scroll. I has these 2 in mine.

DTC P0700 Transmission Control Module (TCM) Requested MIL Illumination

DTC P0735 Incorrect 5th Gear Ratio

It will give you the option to clear the codes.

I cleared them with the Quad and was on my way.

Murray the Cop
10-05-2003, 18:41
Mav,I did check for the codes and all it said was DTC 0700.No 0735 code. It did not give a descripton. Was it supposed to or were you just leting me know what it was? Is the control module damaged? How about the tranny itself? I thought that the Quad did defuel at the shift point in order to save the tranny. Is tranny damage inevitable with this box? Come to think of it the engine itself is kinda noisy with the tuner installed. I noticed this because after the limp mode I changed it back to stock.I wasn't sure what was going on so I figured I would wait for a reply. I'm starting to think I made a mistake looking for more power. Should I be stressing?

Kennedy
10-05-2003, 19:11
That PO700 seems to sneak in when we get rough with the Allison. Almost as if it was intending to set the code, but something distracted it, or the condition was corrected in time.

If you run it hard, you'll tear it up. Switch down the power till the transmission is beefed up.

FYI, it's actually 3rd that you get "punted" into for limp mode. A shift to N and back to D will get you on your way so long as it is a minor fault.