PDA

View Full Version : Peninsular Diesel

RLAM
03-17-2004, 10:11
How about a little feedback on Pininsular. I am looking for a short block and am tossed between"Jasper " and "Peninsular". I dont think that jasper offers short blocks and the price of a complete motor is pretty high. I scored a cil. wall at 18,000 miles (a long story) and I think my heads are fine. Also, how would the 18 to 1 pistons work considering that evreything except for injectors (BD high pop) and Heath torque master. The motoe is a 97 with electronic pump.Thanks for the input.

patrick m.
03-17-2004, 15:37
from what i understand about penninsular engines they are great. the parts and processes used in assembly are top notch.
diesel depot is at the same level (all of this is from listening to people who have used products from these places, and reading about them.)
kennedy also has engines with all the "goodies" inside.

Jasper produces a fine product, in most cases warranty repairs can be made anywhere in the country. BUT it wont have such things as "ceramic coated piston crowns", balanced reciprocating assy", "reduced compression", "main stud girdle" (or splayed mains),and so on.

tom.mcinerney
03-17-2004, 15:50
RLAM--I'm pretty sure Peninsular has a connection with General Engine Products {or whatever the name of current 6.5L production manufacturer is}. They primarily supply new, and marine-modified engines. Avant Salvage makes fine blueprinted reman engines; also any used components as-is, etc. John Kennedy stocks many new components, and can supply anything.
I'd call all three, explain your situation, ask advice; get quote on their suggested solutions....

Uncle Wally
03-17-2004, 16:54
My experience with Jasper Remans has not been good. Remember they are a high output shop, so the attention to detail isn't going to be there like a Pen Diesel or Avant Diesel builds. I trust John Kennedy as I have ordered most everything I have from him, so I would assume that his short blocks are high quality. He hasn't steered me wrong and I have heard nothing but good feedback. I agree with the above advice to calling any of these three.

Waldo

RLAM
03-17-2004, 18:31
Thanks for all your input I will do some more research, but at this point, I am considering doing a 30 thousand overbore and going with the penn diesel 18to 1 pistons. Pattrick, where can I score the main girdle. Sounds like a good plan due to some of the stories I have heard about webb cracks.I am trying to come up with the best I can for as little as possable.As I said before, the engine only has 18,000 miles and I don't expect any problems with other components. The reason for the current problem is that the motor home sat without running for three years and aparently stuck some rings. After purchace I drove it 8000 miles with no problems, then up jumped the devel. Funds are short but when this is done, I would like to live long enough to put 300000 Miles on it. Again, thanks for the input.

tom.mcinerney
03-17-2004, 19:53
RLAM--Definitely check block for cracks beforehand. See the post by More Power (this forum, this page) 3/14/'04, thread='Block main girdle '. Are other suppliers, too. Kennedy Diesel installs 'splayed main' bolts/studs, also relevant. In view of low miles on your rig, consider just using a rigid hone to enlarge the cylinder in question--see if you can get the OEM piston that is a few thou oversized which maintains weight and volume for that cylinder--there is discussion these in Helm manual under block work, not sure if 'Service' or 'Unit Repair'. Why do whole engine if just a little damage one cyl?
I'd call Kennedy , ask his advice.

eracers999
03-17-2004, 22:18
No way on the Jasper.
Kent

C.K. Piquup
03-18-2004, 03:24
Jasper doesn`t support their warranty,at the expense of the shop and/or customer.Check into Diesel Services Group since you`re in the NW.They sell short blocks/heads/completes,all hand-built w/upgrades(like Avante,but in your corner).18:1 pistons would work fine if they were the only mod to your engine,it`s what GM should have done(they do now/Dmax).

RLAM
03-18-2004, 08:32
Good information guy's. I agree with the connsept of just repairing the one bad hole,however, In the motorhome application, getting the engine out and back in is a real hassel. It has to come out the bottom. My thought is being that it is out and apart, I might as well do the 18 to 1 upgrade.
I talked with Bill Heath and he can get the same pistons for a better price than Penn.He also says that the girdle would not be necissary with the lower comp. engine. Less load on the moving parts. Thanks forthe help, I will keep ypu posted.

Journeydog
03-18-2004, 10:25
RLAM...

A couple of data points for you. As you indicated, R&R of the engine in your motorhome is a huge undertaking. Count on about $4-5K for that which then factors into the decision of whether you want to go all the way with a replacement engine or rebuild the one you have.

You didn't say which motorhome you have. The other commonly used approach for the engine R&R is through the copilot side window. At least in the Treks.

As you can see in my signature, I've been there done that and ended up going with a totally new Peninsular-modifed engine. I haven't been able to put many miles on it yet, so I can't comment on whether I'm fully satisfied with it or not. One of the major factors when having the engine installed is your selection of the guy that's going to do the work. In my case, my guy was a pig-headed butcher and had my m/h tied up for over 3 months while he worked on road kills.

Matt Koenig of Peninsular is very easy to deal with and will build whatever you want, and Bill Heath is the prince of public relations, knowledge and honesty. Either of them are good choices. I tried to contact Jamie at Avant many times over a week and a half, but never could get with him. John Kennedy I'm sorry to say, pretty much buzzed me off when I tried to ask him a couple questions I had about buying one of the AMG reman engines from him. I'm positive he knows his stuff, but his manners need some PR training. I sure he's too busy most of the time, but if you want me to buy your product, you'll need to answer a question or two. BTW, you can buy the same AMG engine from any large NAPA dealer. Peninsular is now offering drop-in modified engines for motorhomes.

Good luck with your decision. Whatever you do, jump out there for the installation before the summer m/h travelers stick you in a long term parking lot que.

JoeyD
03-18-2004, 11:01
Just removing the motor and reinstalling in is 4-5 grand? Thats a lot of dough$$$$$$$

RLAM
03-18-2004, 11:45
Journeydog:
Looks like we are twins. Mine is a 97 "Trek". iIt is the same color with a dolphin mural on the back.I bought it about 8 months ago with 10,000 0n the clock. The bad part was that it sat in AZ. for three years without running and aparently a couple rings froze up. Now I have this problem.
Sounds to me like a real pain to get it out and back in. If the money gods smile on mee I may go with the big power Penn. I don't want to do this again in the near future. I notice that you have had exactly the same experiances with the same people that I have been talking to for the last two weeks.My opinions ar the same as yours. Bill Heath amazes me and I had a long talk with Matt.
I hope to get this thing back togather soon as we have most of the summer planed and are working hard on next winter. Hope to see you "Out There"

Journeydog
03-18-2004, 12:31
Mine has the Orcas. The original owner was from Anchorage, so that made sense.

When I was in the buy process, Bill Heath offered me a good deal on a new in-crate HUMMV engine that he had bought for another purpose, but it had the center turbo. He was pretty sure it would fit OK, but after many phone calls around the LA basin, I didn't want to go through the pain of trying to work with some innovator around SoCal to install it. I even looked into having a trucking company haul the whole m/h up to Bill so he could install it.

Watch out for a long install wait that can really upset any travel plans for this summer. Mine sat in three repair shops from the 1st of June until after Labor Day. Bummer... :(

Have you joined the Trek Tracks group? Good info there too. Also, watch for "ucdavis" here on TDP. He's got the same rig and knows his 6.5 stuff.

[ 03-18-2004, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Journeydog ]

Journeydog
03-18-2004, 12:38
Originally posted by Joey D:
Just removing the motor and reinstalling in is 4-5 grand? Thats a lot of dough$$$$$$$ That's right Joey...cost me just about ten legs and five arms by the time I got it back. About $10K for the engine and a couple bucks less than $5K to slide it in. With a motorhome, you don't have the time or money for another hobby.

How's life in Ahhlington? Grew up there.

RLAM
03-19-2004, 15:00
Journeydog:
We are twins. I don't know why I said Dolphins. I have Orca's and three small crabs on the rocks. Send me your E mail and I will send pictures.
Rlam103323@aol.com

dstoops
03-19-2004, 20:27
My experience was quite the same as Journeydog. I was predisposed to do biz w/ Kennedy because of his apparent support of the DPage but he was too busy to answer Q's. Matt at peninsular was very helpful even while driving down the road talking to me from his mobile phone and Bill Heath was also very knowledgable so they are the ones I spent my $ with!