PDA

View Full Version : 04 LLY DA first trip

carco
04-16-2004, 17:39
Left home @ 323 miles to Naples and Everglades returned @ 2820 miles. WOW nice ride, nice power good no great truck. Engine very smooth, is louder now, but still quiet compared to other brands! Over 2500RPM noise is greater, I assume pilot inj cut out, usually where wife ran 80 to 93 MPH, one of her tanks was only 14 mpg. Trip average was 17.34 mpg, DIC shows 17.6 mpg and 53MPH trip average. Expected better mileage but just now breaking in engine. Need 3.42 rear axle or 6th speed in Allison. Allison is soooo smooth shifting, listen close and try to feel even closer for the shifts!! Installed oil by-pass filter @ 200 miles. Will install additional fuel filter soon. Tried heated seats befor we left, was cold AMs here, great on a cold morning!! However, leather 8-way seats not quite as comfortable as my 93 K20 cloth bucket seats over extended periods. Workmanship of all parts of this truck seem very good. Would recommend this vehicle to anyone. Changed engine oil and rear oil, rear oil looked like Permatex antiseize compound color. This weekend will trailer ATV's, 4500# 50 miles one way, been doing it with 93 K20 6.5, can't wait. bob

cowboywildbill
04-18-2004, 16:46
Welcome, I have towed with & driven Fords P/S. I owned a cummins(HOT HOT with all the toy's), except I went through 6 auto tranny's in 93,000 miles. Thank goodness for the Chrysler extended warranty.And I was impressed with the way the cummins pulled, that is until I bought a D/Max, Wow I couldn't believe the difference with all of the extra power and smooth shifts.
So I know what you are saying about the D/Max.
I have had my 02 3500 C/C D/A for over two years and 43,000 trouble free miles. And everytime I drive it or tow with it, it is like the first time all over again. I am still impressed by it's power and speed and smooth everything. I still get a big smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. And your milage should get better after about 15,000 miles. It takes a while to break in. I get around 15.5 empty, and I always have my foot in it. And I get 11 mpg towing and on a good day almost 13 mpg while towing (14,000 lbs) 12'2" tall and 8' wide 36.5 long. This fifthwheel is is a parachute, and it is no effort to pull. So I am glad with my milage. If your going to get hooked on something, the D/Max ain't such a bad thing. Enjoy your truck. Keep us up to date with your mods and milage changes. PS, I have owned 3 Harley's and I think I have a better time customizing my truck than I did my bikes. Go figure? Drive Safe .

jaoder
04-19-2004, 09:52
I have also gotten a new 04 LLY D/A CC 3500 Dually and so far really like it. This is my first diesel and am really impressed with the power and also how nice the exhaust sounds it really doesn't sound that much like a diesel to me. I haven't had an chance to really pull any long runs with it but did pull a short haul with my loaded 32' enclosed goose neck car trailer and it got 11-12MPG pretty consistanly running a little over 60mph. I am getting a new 40'enclosed GN and am planning on pulling it quite a bit this race season. I just turned 2000 miles and am going to get all the fluids changed. The mechanic at the dealer ship recommended Mobil 1 Syn., he feels it a better oil for these engines so I'm going to give it a try. I hope you enjoy your new truck!

carco
04-21-2004, 15:33
Towed 4500# last weekend like it was not behind the DA. Real nice. Set cruise on way home, tired after 4 wheeling up and down steeeeep hills, pulled a hill out of Ripley Oh. on US68 like it was not there @ 65 mph. 93 K20 6.5l shifts down to 3rd and revs but can maintain 65 mph. Back from Columbus Oh. today 200 miles got 19.1 MPH per DIC, rain and head wind on way back, 65-75 MPH. nice truck!!!!!! bob

sixl
04-26-2004, 06:35
My first trip last weekend bad nothing good to say about the LLY no power no mileage the only good to come out of the trip is it was only 300 miles away. I got 5-6 mpg and not realy any wind and could not go over 75 mph is there some thing wrong with my truck. My camper is 32 ft Cameo one slide about 13,000 or so loaded :confused:

cowboywildbill
05-01-2004, 19:44
Yes that sure sounds like something wrong. We tow heavier than that and get 10 to 12.5 mpg. And it runs too fast. I would have it checked out.

billnourse
05-02-2004, 06:54
sixl,

I would definately say that something is wrong. I tow about what you do and can go faster than I can get it stopped. I usually limit myself to about 65 mph when loaded that heavy, the DMax doesn't really limit me, and I've got the old engine. I tow in the Colorado mountains frequently and have no power issues even though I'm stock.

I get between 10.5 and 12 mpg depending on winds and hills when towing.

Regards,

Bill

sixl
05-03-2004, 06:11
I have a friend that has a LLY, and empty they run the same (raceing) I just put 4"ext. no muffler no cat. and it woke the truck up and seems to pull better now. :D