PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft Balance Damper

gmenor
01-01-2004, 16:03
Question, just change out my harmonic balance. It still has an unusual wobble. It is not bad but is it not as balanced as a gasser. I had a rude awakening to know that the crankshaft pully is also the harmonic balancer. Doe anyone else notice that the crankshaft pulley wobbles a little or am I just too critical? I plan to change it out the crankshaft damper tomorrow - if the dealership has one.

pannhead
01-01-2004, 17:53
i have changed my crank pulley also (that rubber is a POS)..the dealer wanted $220..NAPA had it for $70....the "wobble" is not normal and could or is throwing things out of balance which could cost you a crankshaft....sounds like you're getting right on it..good luck ;)

tom.mcinerney
01-01-2004, 18:16
A slight wobble in the crank pulley [outer piece bolted to harmonic balancer/vibration dampener] might be unavoidable--the outer pulley ring is driven by a 1"fat round wad of rubber. But this ring is supposed to be guided on its circular oscillation by a regular ball bearing in the hub--the cast spoke arms attach to the inner bearing race. This piece absorbs/moderates pulses rather than transmit to belt and accessories.
The inner harmonic balancer/vibration dampener must not show anything but smooth rotation to the unaided eye; it's the end balance weight for the crank, simultaneously absorbs crank rotational pulses.

gmenor
01-02-2004, 04:49
Thanks for the replys. I'm going to change the vibration dampener out just to be safe.