PDA

View Full Version : New info on the 04 duramax

koolgt
10-03-2003, 10:20
we start full blown production of the 04 duramax starting nov. 1st 2003...ahead of schedule, so those of you that are waiting, the wait is almost over:)

aero
10-03-2003, 10:31
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 03-04. IS THE 04'S ON THE LOT NOW NEW OR OLD ENGINE? PLAN TO BUY ONE THAT IS BEING BUILT RIGHT NOW

koolgt
10-03-2003, 11:12
Originally posted by aero:
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 03-04. IS THE 04'S ON THE LOT NOW NEW OR OLD ENGINE? PLAN TO BUY ONE THAT IS BEING BUILT RIGHT NOW the ones on the lot right now have the 03 engine in them...theres lots of differences in the 04 just search and see:)

koolgt
10-03-2003, 12:09
mike i do not know, depends on how fast they can ship them out of the truck plant, but i dont have any idea on there situation up there

McRat
10-03-2003, 16:27
How reliable is this data?

I would REALLY like Santa to bring me one with the new motor.

Think if I ordered Nov. 1, it would come with the new engine and arrive by Christmas? What would the odds be?

MAV
10-03-2003, 16:30
How reliable is this data?
KOOLGT works at the Duramax plant and helps build the motors. Can't get anymore reliable than that. tongue.gif

McRat
10-03-2003, 16:31
I guess what I would need to know is:

When do you think they will run out of existing engines?

aero
10-04-2003, 03:35
please, please give us a build-out date so we can order MORE POWER!!!!

koolgt
10-04-2003, 08:17
well, this is what i know so far, every engine we make GM has already bought, for october they want 16,500 engines, hince y i have to work on veterans day and over thanksgiving break :rolleyes: , but anyways, the build out date im not sure of, as we have to clear out our plant of the 03's and our warehouses, then u have to make time for the new 04's to trickle into the truck plant, so maybe just ask a dealer, once november hits, if they have any of the new duramax engines, it may be close to christmas time till they make there way to the dealer, but it would be a great christmas present :D

DATSBAD
10-04-2003, 17:07
so what are the specs for the new motor , do you really think they will do this mid year ? i kinda think not !

koolgt
10-04-2003, 17:13
Originally posted by DATSBAD:
so what are the specs for the new motor , do you really think they will do this mid year ? i kinda think not ! the new specs are all over the board search and see...and yeah i KNOW they are coming out with this new engine cause i make it ok...y come out with the new motor the same time ford does? give time for it to sizzle out then beat ford with our new one...seems like a good idea to me

stutzismydog
10-04-2003, 18:41
Koolgt~
What is the point in being vague and coy about the question that was asked about the specifications on the new 04 Duramax???

Your response that the "info was all over the internet" is not good enough Bud. You should post the link,.... you brought up the subject that would cause the obvious questions that would be asked by posting the topic. :confused:

koolgt
10-04-2003, 18:56
Originally posted by stutzismydog:
Koolgt~
What is the point in being vague and coy about the question that was asked about the specifications on the new 04 Duramax???

Your response that the "info was all over the internet" is not good enough Bud. You should post the link,.... you brought up the subject that would cause the obvious questions that would be asked by posting the topic. :confused: cause im lazy i get one day off work, i dont feel like doing it:), just use the search feature on this site..type in 04 duramax, or 2004 theres tons of subjects, i just dont feel like doing it all

JMarz
10-04-2003, 19:09
Originally posted by koolgt:
we start full blown production of the 04 duramax starting nov. 1st 2003...ahead of schedule, so those of you that are waiting, the wait is almost over:)

More Power
10-04-2003, 19:21
Go here for the info:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000188

MP

bluenote
10-05-2003, 04:31
koolgt-

Please try to ignore the couple of rude posters who seem to think they know more, or that you owe them something. :rolleyes:

I think I can speak for a VAST majority of us when I say we appreciate the information that comes from someone "in the know." Guys like you and dmaxallitech are some of the best things going in these forums. Keep the info coming! :D

aero
10-08-2003, 03:48
dealer says lly only available in srw3500 not drw. anyone know different?

hd90rider
10-08-2003, 07:57
At some point on here,it was mentioned the 04 would also upgrade the Allison to a six speed auto.,when the new engine came out. Any more news on this. :confused:

DonG
10-08-2003, 15:10
hd90rider,

I heard there were to be changes to the allison to handle a little more power, but I do not recall any plans to install the sixth gear.

Don

bluenote
10-08-2003, 16:24
Another question, if anyone has heard...what will be the option cost of the LLY Duramax? Heard a rumor over at rv.net that it will be $1600 more :confused: That seems like quite a jump!!

kbrowns
10-09-2003, 06:00
I would think they would have to keep the option price pretty close to the same. They have to stay competitive with the other 2. In my opinion it shouldn't cost a penny more :mad: The price of these truck is already too high. Their selling them with big rebates and still making a good profit. Plus they seem to be improving on perceived weak points, so they shouldn't charge for what should've been right in the first place.

koolgt
10-10-2003, 10:23
well the new duramax will probobly cost more due to they all have that expensive emision crap on them, i mean a egr cooler itself is almost 800 dollars, but even with the rebates were still making money but dmax is still trying to pay themselves off, so we still gotta make a decent profit:)

chuntag95
10-10-2003, 11:36
Originally posted by hd90rider:
At some point on here,it was mentioned the 04 would also upgrade the Allison to a six speed auto.,when the new engine came out. Any more news on this. :confused: I talked to an engineer for Allsion. The 04 changes were adding a solenoid, some valve changes and an extra wire in the harness with an extra wire to the TCM to control the new solenoid. The "purpose" is to have the excess fluid that was dumped back into the sump go to the cooler instead. This increases the flow at idle to keep the tranny from getting hot when using a PTO or in stop n go traffic. I can't see them adding another gear, even though there is a space for it. It would be a second overdrive and we would need 2 OD lockouts then. tongue.gif The change was really more for the medium duty models that use the same case, but I think the 04 guys will benifit from it.

hd90rider
10-11-2003, 15:15
Thanx guys for the reply's smile.gif :cool:

carco
10-27-2003, 17:16
I know this topic was beat a couple weeks ago but I am seriously considering ordering a K2500 soon. The deal structure has already been hammered out with the dealer, just waiting on the engine. I want the new Dmax version w/ revised heads and secondarily the latest Allison update for the tranny. Koolgt said production should start 11-1-03, does this still hold??? Chuntag95 mentioned that cooling updates would make the 04 Allisons, is that all 04's or only after 1-04 production???? Any other info that could be made public as production time nears?? Thanks bob

McRat
10-27-2003, 19:04
I'm in the same boat. I want the revised motor and trans, and will order it the minute someone can confirm the "switchover" date.

The Ford switch happened exactly how predicted, so I hope I can get good intel on the GMC.

TXDMAX
10-28-2003, 07:00
Koolgt,
I've heard a rumor that there has been a hiccup w/ the new engine and that production has been pushed back 3-4 weeks (came from GM source). Is this true? If so i'm glad they found it before we start getting them on our lots to sell.

Keep pumping out those engines, we sell everyone we get when it gets off the transport. smile.gif

koolgt
10-28-2003, 10:57
Originally posted by TXDMAX:
Koolgt,
I've heard a rumor that there has been a hiccup w/ the new engine and that production has been pushed back 3-4 weeks (came from GM source). Is this true? If so i'm glad they found it before we start getting them on our lots to sell.

Keep pumping out those engines, we sell everyone we get when it gets off the transport. smile.gif yes there was a snag in the road...but its fixed thats all im gonna say:)

McRat
10-28-2003, 15:41
Did they move the date?

smartfix
10-28-2003, 17:53
hello all

Why in the world do you want to wait for the new Engine.. Its not tested .. 1st year out.. Our close
friend told us just to stick with the LB7 for a year
before ordering some thing new.. We order 100 more
units today.. LB7.. I dont want the new one till after 1 year it hits the road to make shore all the
bugs our out of them.. YOU know when they make changes it can be Good or REAL bad.. There is no Reason to wait

From steve
Fleet Dept ;)

D-max Man
10-29-2003, 04:48
The turbo is hydraulically actuated. They opted to use hydraulics over electric due to the high heat of the turbo (electronics & heat don't get along).

The VIN code for the new engine will be

McRat
10-29-2003, 09:23
Originally posted by smartfix:
hello all

Why in the world do you want to wait for the new Engine.. Its not tested .. 1st year out.. Our close
units today.. LB7.. I dont want the new one till after 1 year it hits the road to make shore all the
bugs our out of them.. YOU know when they make changes it can be Good or REAL bad.. There is no Reason to wait

From steve
Fleet Dept ;) It's not exactly a NEW engine, it's a new version.

And GM has had pretty good luck with their motors, even first year ones.

driller37
10-29-2003, 11:50
Originally posted by smartfix:
hello all

From steve
Fleet Dept ;) I bought the first year (2001 d/a) that they come out and am extremely happy, 80,000km and have had no problems, i wouldn't hesitate to buy one if i were in need of a new truck

kbrowns
10-29-2003, 13:14
D-Max man,

good to hear from you. Hope things are going well for you! If I remember right when you were working for the "Good Guys" you had said you were working on the '04 engine. I'm curious as to what your take is on this new version

Koolgt,

any elaboration on the hiccup or is that top secret? I don't want you to have to kill me after you tell me!! :eek: Will the switch over be a knife edge switch?(meaning LB7 will not be produced anymore once LLY is moved into production) or will they continue to make both for a while? Is production start up looking like the end of Nov. still or will it be bumped more. Was hoping for an LLY to show in the garage around X-mas, but maybe not since they don't want to let me order one in a 2500HD. They really don't want to talk about anything they can't order and get right now. So I guess I wait! :mad:

Brian W. Littleton
10-31-2003, 16:47
Dealer advised me today that my 04 3500 SRW D/A with LLY engine order can't be entered until late November as GM's computer system is not set up for the new LLY code. Still looks like I get it by Mid Jan.

koolgt
11-02-2003, 18:03
Originally posted by kbrowns:
Koolgt,

any elaboration on the hiccup or is that top secret? I don't want you to have to kill me after you tell me!! :eek: Will the switch over be a knife edge switch?(meaning LB7 will not be produced anymore once LLY is moved into production) or will they continue to make both for a while? Is production start up looking like the end of Nov. still or will it be bumped more. Was hoping for an LLY to show in the garage around X-mas, but maybe not since they don't want to let me order one in a 2500HD. They really don't want to talk about anything they can't order and get right now. So I guess I wait! :mad: well id rather not share whatthe hickup was, its nothing major at all...just lil bugs here and there, that isuzu and GM engineers have fixed, we are starting production on Dec 3rd..the LB7's will be cleared from the line, but will probobly have some left over in warehouses, but thats all i know and am willing to share:)

fredw
11-04-2003, 07:47
i just tried to order one today, only problem is they have never heard of it, showed them the info here, they said first they have seen :eek:

MaxACL
11-04-2003, 15:27
koolgt

How would one get a tour of your shed?

fredw
11-04-2003, 19:07
Koolgt:
i have a question for yourself, would you know if the new wiring harness are the same on the LLY as older duramaxes, the reason i am wondering is if i can use the same power boxes are if i will need different wiring harnesses, and such, thanks for your time :D

gilroylee
11-06-2003, 23:41
smile.gif Picked up my new 2004 K3500 Ext Cab Dually yesterday. Came with what appears to be the 2003 engine. The only mention of power and torque is in the ads. The owners manual and the diesel supplement manual mention VIN 1 or VIN 2 but do not list any power figures. Made a deal for $500 over invoice and when I picked up the truck there were $3900 more savings in rebates. $400 of that was a GM rebate to make up for the recent California license increase. Hope Arnold makes the license increase go away and returns what DMV has charged. Fantastic truck ! The auto tranny was the main reason I changed from a 96 Dodge Cummins. Great Forum. Thanks for all the info.