PDA

View Full Version : block casting numbers

patrick m.
10-03-2003, 17:58
i just had a friend give me the old long block out of his van, the number is "506".
Evidently the eng was replaced due to a cracked head. (i was told he got it done under warranty, i dont know how he talked 'em into a complete eng)
My question is, are blocks different from van to truck (center mount turbo/side mount turbo)?
and would this block make a good candidate for a build-up? of course it would have to pass a machine shop inspection

also, the lower end appears to be in good shape, this weekend i will measure a few things to determine wear.

[ 10-03-2003, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Patrick m. ]

Jim P
10-03-2003, 18:16
I guy told me that the van blocks are different because they have a special oil hole in the v of the engine for a return for the turbo oil. But maybe you could just plug the hole and still use it. I'm sure somebody here will know alot more about it than me.

whatnot
10-03-2003, 20:24
What year was it out of? I thought that the 506 blocks are the oil spray piston ones that suposedly crack the worst.

patrick m.
10-04-2003, 19:49
i think it is out of a '99 model, but not sure. ill ask him next week.
whatnot, i hope the "506"s arent the ones that like to crack, if so, my free eng may have to be used as a core :rolleyes:

richard7
10-05-2003, 10:56
The "506" block ('99-up) is a stronger block than the previous one. It has smaller oil jet holes and is beefier in some areas.

It can develop cracks like the others do, but it is a good block. For high horspower applications, engine builders tend to prefer pre-oil jet blocks.

Go to 506 block (http://home.cinci.rr.com/mainous/EnhancedBlkID.htm) for more info about the 506 block.

Brandon
10-05-2003, 12:16
It is possible to weld the holes where the turbo goes. Other than that it will work. I ran one from a '99 Hummer for a 100,000 before it finally died. It cracked no. 7,5,3, and scored no1,4,6. I don't think that the oil spray is what they say it should be. It ran hoter than the original motor.