PDA

View Full Version : Increasing MPG with D/A

Kowe
09-24-2005, 18:35
I would like to know what modifications that others have found to increase mpg. I know that the greatest mileage variable is right foot pressure. With $3.00/gal and 35,000 miles a year, modifications that work will pay off fairly soon. My D/A is a 4X4 crew and I currently see 16/18 mpg. What has worked for in other trucks? And can anyone tell me anything about a "Green" air filter?

Thanks

mark45678
09-25-2005, 15:09
my lly truck has 61K on it now, since new it would always get ok fuel economy (14~16.5 mpg). I know its not great but its mostly driver that controls fuel economy ! since the fuel cost isnt comming down I have change how I drive. I have slowed down to 72 max with the cruise on as much as possible and if you can stay about 80' behind the car / truck ahead of you on the highway with the AC off at 70~72 mph I will get 18 ~19.5 mpg with the same truck same driver juice still set on 3 ! speed and AC kills fuel economy !

markrinker
09-26-2005, 03:45
If you aren't worried about emissions testing in Indiana - I'd say that losing the cats and 4" exhaust is a sure way to increase both power and mileage. Even losing the cats with stock exhaust should help some.

Add a free flowing air filter and you'll see mileage increase, assuming your right foot is a light one.

I know these are obvious mods - but also the cheapest and quickest ROI.

[ 09-26-2005, 04:00 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

dmax lover
09-27-2005, 11:15
Slowing down just a tad more will help - 68 mph was the "sweet spot" on my '03. 21+ mpg.

jeff

More Power
09-27-2005, 11:28
Run your tires at or near their maximum rated pressure. This decreases rolling resistance.

What I do is set the front tire pressures near their rated max (I run about 70 psi on an 80 psi rated tire), then increase pressure in the rear tires so the squat appears very similar. There could be up to about 20 psi lower pressure in the rear to get the tire squat the same front to rear.

Add more pressure to the rear if you tow or haul.

Jim