PDA

View Full Version : Whistle

Albee
09-21-2005, 17:42
OK, I had a 2002 Dmax with the LB7. Now have a 2006 with the Dmax. This new truck has a whine or whistle when driving. Low speed, medium speed. Dont notice it at higher speeds. Is this the turbo or the tranny? I am thinking it is the turbo. Has there been a change in the turbo? Sounds kinda cool, but was just surprised to hear it. If turbo has changed, what did they do to make it different? Thanks to all.

LeroyR
09-22-2005, 03:55
Mine makes the same sound. It's the turbo and I'm wondering if it's easier to hear since the engine is quieter. I don't know, but it doesn't bother me. I guess if I stop hearing it I should worry. :confused:

sluggerjoe
09-22-2005, 19:13
After driving many larger (much larger) diesel vehicles of many different types for too many years I can tell you that that turbo whine is a comforting sound. When you are hooked onto a 12k load and pulling a hill 75 MPH you couldn't touch with your old 400 Cummins (with a 55k load) at 65 MPH.... that whine is a beautiful thing.

bgruschy
10-06-2005, 04:40
Yes there was a turbo change from 02 to 06 and the whine is more pronounced. Do a search on this site there is a piece on the new turbo...