PDA

View Full Version : Injector circuit problem, Please Help!!!!

Rhoward225
09-19-2005, 17:54
I have a 2004.5 2500HD w/ "LLY". I have 4" exhaust, turbo back. Cold air intake and Egde programmer.
I run this truck non stop, 50% under a trailer load. Currently have 162,000 miles on truck in 15 months.
To the problem, on the interstate the other day, and engine light comes on, truck starts missing and I stop. I checked the codes w/ my scanner, and found "Circuit malfunction cylinder #2", and
"Fuel timing error". I cleared code, and continued on to rest stop. As I continued, same thing happened, this time could not clear code. This was Saterday and could not find a dealer open Saterday. Found a shop, took truck to see them. They had the truck for 2 and 1/2 day's, replaced fuel pump, filter ect. and exspected me to pay for this, when it came down to it, they did not have the knowledge or equipment to repair problem. Truck was sent to another shop. They had truck for 2 and 1/2 day's, and tell me they think injector #2 is bad. They replace injector. $410.00!!!! for one. I pick up the truck and continued trip, then back home, about 2200 miles.
I get up the next morning at home, start out the road, get 3 miles, same problem! cleared code, and continued. Drove around for about 2 hour's. Then problem continued. the only way I can get the truck to go, is if I move the wiring harnesses around the front passenger side of motor, and truck will run for a short time down the road.
I am thinking it might be a short in the wiring, as the problem seem's to be caused by bump's in the road, and then I move all the wires and it run's. The second shop cost me over $1000 and I feel like they changed the injector for nothing, and them they tell me, three states away, it was working when I left the shop, sorry.
I pulled a bunch of the wire loom a loose this afternoon, and checked for problem's. I retaped every thing back up, and now truck goes emediatly into trouble when it cranks. so if iI pulled a wire that is causing the problem, I can't find it, and now I'm stuck w/ the truck sitting in my yard!
I'm stuck and running out of money.
Can anyone offer any info. I do all my own maitenance and am religous w/ it. I have also put on all the add on's myself. I haven't had any problem's till now.
Thanks,

01max
09-19-2005, 18:23
there have been problems with the terminal breaking right at the injectors mainly #2 and#7 cylinders the bul. #05-06-04-047a tells how to fix it with terminial kit #98017958 reading the bull. it looks pretty easy should take a little over an hour

Rhoward225
09-19-2005, 18:41
Thank's for the information and the help!
Please forgive my ignorance, but where would I find bul. #05-06-04-047a and terminial kit #98017958.
I'm not a profesional, but pretty handy. I'll never see my $1100.00 again, so hopefully this might be a step in the right direction.
Thanks, again

01max
09-19-2005, 19:08
the part is a new part that should be availible at a gm parts dept. it is a new part so dont be surprized if it has to be ordered. as for the bullition if you ask a gm service dept for a copy they might help. I tried to copy it over to here but none of the pictures came thru. Hope this helps.
Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On with Reduction in Engine Power, DTCs P0202 and P2149 or P0207 and P2146 Set (Install Revised 90 Degree Injector Connector with Harness Support Bracket Service Kit) #05-06-04-047A - (Sep 2, 2005)
Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On with Reduction in Engine Power, DTCs P0202 and P2149 or P0207 and P2146 Set (Install Revised 90 Degree Injector Connector With Harness Support Bracket Service Kit)
2004-2005 Chevrolet Silverado

2004-2005 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series

2004-2005 GMC Sierra

2004-2005 GMC Topkick C4500/C5500 Series

with 6.6L Duramax

01max
09-19-2005, 19:18
I have also seen the harness from the ficm rubbed and shorted on the bracket right above were you check the fuel filter for restriction.

Rhoward225
09-19-2005, 19:30
I can't tell you guy's how much I appreciate all this information! I have been racking my brain all day, I'll be checking into this first thing in the morning, and hope this might be the problem!

Rhoward225
09-20-2005, 13:31
I went to the dealer today, was told repair kit was available to them yet. Talked then to the shop forman. The most knowledgable and nicest fellow I ever met at a dealer. W/ his help we found a way to order the kit through GM, but they were on back order. So it might take a little time to get the part. The shop foreman asked me to remove the bad conectors and bring them back tot he shop tomorrow, and they might be able to fix me up w/ a repair to get me by, until the parts come in. I have been getting the codes for cylinder #2, and thinking that cylinder is secong from front on passenger side. By looking at the pictures from the service bulliten, it looks like cylinder #7 is on the passenger side. You guy's have already helped so much, but could you verify for me the # pattern for the injector's left amd right, so I might get this truck back on the road!
Thanks, again!

DmaxMaverick
09-20-2005, 14:50
Rhoward

The Duramax engine bank order is opposite that of past GM Diesels and current/past GM gassers. The #1 cylinder is on the right/passenger side. The #2 cylinder is the frontmost cylinder on the driver side.

Driver side, front to rear: 2, 4, 6, 8.
Passenger side, front to rear: 1, 3, 5, 7.

Rhoward225
09-20-2005, 16:03
Thanks, DMAX.
After discussing the problem w/ the service manager we agreed the problem is inside the conector itself. I took another look at the conectors this afternoon, and taped on them w/ a screwdriver. Low and behold, the trucks running great, all of a sudden! I can't get it to go into code. So I would have to say, that's the problem, as soon as I can get the repair kit in, I hope to never see this problem again!
Thanks again for the help!

Kennedy
09-21-2005, 05:22
I also suggest removing any aftermarket devices (Edge) when troubleshooting things like this...

madmatt
09-22-2005, 17:19
The kit is available and can be overnighted. I've already installed a few. FYI donot leave the wires on the new connectors as long as they come. before crimping them on, route the wires in a way so as not to bind them, see how much wire you'll need then connect the wires. I done it the way the instructions said the first time and ended up w/ a mile of loose wire and any way I could route it would cause a sharp bend at the connector. Untill you get the new connector. most of the time you can simply pull straight out on the wires from the injector connectors then push straight back in to get you going again.