PDA

View Full Version : Injectors check good...LOTS of exhaust smoke. Help!

CcabDies
01-05-2005, 19:15
Took the the truck in to see why there was a significant amount of exhaust smoke on heavy acceleration. Tech stated he could not find any error codes or problems with injectors. Couldn't "duplicate" problem even though it happened in route to their shop. If not the injectors what is causing the smoke plum on heavy acceleration? I need some advice.

03 CrewCab GMC DMAX stock.

madmatt
01-05-2005, 19:23
power or shift concerns/complaints?

CcabDies
01-05-2005, 19:28
No. The tranny appears to be in order. The smoke happens when I step on it and especially going up hill. I saw another DMAX on the freeway the other day. The guy stepped on it to pass and a huge plume of smoke exited the truck. Injector bleed issue?
I haven't detected any power loss and the truck starts fine. They replaced 3 injectors last month and found those right away. Could it be bad fuel, a computer issue etc??

More Power
01-06-2005, 08:27
Gray to black smoke indicates an overfueling situation, and whitish smoke indicates incomplete or cool combustion.

Assuming no codes, a plugged/dirty air filter and/or fuel filter need to be eliminated as a cause. Without codes, the computer must be OK with the level of boost pressures - even though they might be somewhat lower than normal.

Guages would be a big help.

Codes & smoke color?

MP

ebwelder
01-06-2005, 10:01
I have the same truck and the same problem .

2003 Chevy Silverado crew cab
All stock for Now.

ebwelder
01-06-2005, 10:26
Could this be diesel soot being blown out of the tail pipe?

madmatt
01-06-2005, 17:29
haven't had one w/ these symtoms yet but I'll check the TSBs @ the shop tomorrow. I had one w/ a faulty coolant temp sensor, no codes, more smoke than normal, but it shifted different due to the fact it was running in a sort of cold mode and was overfueling to compensate for what the engine thought was a cold ambient temps.

madmatt
01-06-2005, 17:31
and no, based on your descriptions, it's not soot.

B1powered
01-07-2005, 08:35
Could there be a charge air leak??
Pressure test the intercooler and check the tubing and connections going to it.

madmatt
01-07-2005, 20:22
w/ a boost leak i'd suspect he'd have low power & a whistling noise under the hood. thats what I first suspected also and is why I asked about power & shift concerns. could still be though, I've seen weirder things happen!

madmatt
01-17-2005, 19:19
found an updated calibration for your concern. have your dealer if they haven't already refer to PIP3129B.