PDA

View Full Version : Water in Fuel / Filter Question.

DarylB
01-03-2005, 22:30
Have any of you guys gotten the water in fuel light? This being my first diesel, I knew that could be an issue, However, it hasn't happen yet. (60k miles). At filter changes the most water I've seen in the bottom might be a teaspoon. I was just wondering. Most of the fuel stations I buy at are big truck stops so I guess they dont have that problem.

More Power
01-04-2005, 07:48
In 18-1/2 years of driving a diesel pickup, I've not seen a WIF light - nor have I found any water in the fuel filters I've looked at (didn't open that many).

MP

madmatt
01-06-2005, 18:34
you've probably never had enough water in a filter to worry about, but just to make sure your light works, does it come on when you first turn your key to the on position? I seen a TSB on the WIF lights being inop on the PC @ work the other day but i didn't get around to reading it.

DarylB
01-09-2005, 23:14
Originally posted by madmatt:
does it come on when you first turn your key to the on position? I seen a TSB on the WIF lights being inop on the PC @ work the other day but i didn't get around to reading it. Nada, no WIF light. I was just asking if anyone had ever seen a WIF warning as I have not. This being my first diesel I was wondering about how common it is to get contaminated fuel. Looks like it's pretty rare.

madmatt
01-10-2005, 15:04
i've only seen a couple cases of accidental fuel cantamination from pumps, the most common fuel contamination cases are filling w/ gas, farmers who use their own metal bulk tanks @ home w/ out filters on them, and the occasional p!ssed off ex-boyfriend/former employee getting back @ someone kinda deal.

rsgs
01-11-2005, 05:57
My truck wasn't even a year old when it quit running. After towing it to the dealer, he told me I had water in the fuel and that they would have to replace the fuel pump, injector pump, filter, and various other parts and r&r the system to the tune of $1800.00 dollars. He said if it had reached the injectors, it could have cost me around $8000.00. Oh, and by the way, this was NOT covered under warranty. It was a "fuel contamination" problem, not a product issue. When I asked why the WIF didn't come on, he had no answer. I trust those WIF lights about as far as I can throw them...

madmatt
01-13-2005, 16:03
sorry i misunderstood the tsb. It is about cust. complaining about no wif light on 05's catch is there isn't one. it will be a message displayed on the DIC. Not sure if this applies to early LLYs.

dmaxalliTech
01-13-2005, 19:57
WIF light is worthless. Only time I have seen them come on is when the wiring shorts out on the bracket behind the alt. :rolleyes:

Kennedy
01-14-2005, 06:05
I've seen severely rusted filters, but no evidence of any large qty of water, and seldom if ever a WIF light.

I should add while on the subject that Eric and myself offer a very nice WIF wrench so you don't need to use a channelock any more. My contribution was the wide bar screwdriver flat on the tail end for the bleeder. While the AC line crwods it a bit, it still should bminimize/eliminate bleeder plug issues due to undersized drivers...

madmatt
01-17-2005, 18:37
clarifaction: you do not have a wif light on during your bulb test on LB7s because they don't have one. it is displayed in the DIC like the LLYs, which they are releasing/have released a updated software for.