PDA

View Full Version : Went to the track today

Jorday
04-03-2004, 15:13
In 4wd I ran 14.30 at 91 mph and also 14.32 at 92 mph. My 60 ft times were mid to high 1.9s mostly. I was launching in 4wd from about 5 pounds of boost.

For mods, I have the standard juice with the attitude monitor, kennedy exhaust, and a drop in uni filter. I also have 33 inch BFG mud terrains. I was pretty pleased with how good the truck ran for so few mods. smile.gif

Jorday
04-03-2004, 15:14
BTW, I was racing at the track in Lapeer, MI.

Tough Guy
04-03-2004, 17:58
How does that compare to your Camaro?

Cheers

andrewfessler
04-03-2004, 18:39
How does that compare to Edge on 0? Or did you not make any runs without Edge running on some level?

Jorday
04-03-2004, 23:11
I didn't make any runs on any power setting but level 5, so I don't really know what it would do in any other power level.

The camaro is down right now due to the second transmission failure since I bought the car last May. It is pretty heavily modded, though. Last trip to the track with the Z I was running 11.60s at around 117 mph, high 1.5 60 ft times. The car has much more in it than those times would lead you to believe, though. There always seems to be some issue(s) causing the car to not run to its full potential...ET streets not hooking all the way, shift points programmed incorrectly causing massive hitting of the rev limiter during the 1-2 and 2-3 gear changes, poor track conditions, etc. If I could get the car out to the track and have a good day of racing with it I expect to see 10.90-11.20 ETs at 120-121 mph with high 1.4 or low 1.5 60 ft times. Never raced it stock but I would expect to see maybe 13.5 at 105 or so out of it.

dmaxalliTech
04-04-2004, 18:56
Jorday, off topic abit, what trans is in your Z? 4l60E? Are you having it built? might be able to help you with it..should be able to add some considerable strength.

On topic, I hope to get ahold of Tomac tomarrow as last I knew he was going to Stanton today... I think your 33's are slowing you down a bit, do you have some smaller tires that arent 245's?

Jorday
04-05-2004, 06:05
Yes, it's the 4L60E in the Camaro. The pump went bad in the original transmission, so I decided to replace the whole transmission with an aftermarket 4L60e unit that was supposed to be stronger. I bought a complete transmission from place called Yank. It has vacuum controlled line pressure, and supposedly a bunch of internal upgrades.

The 3-4 clutch pack burned up in the aftermarket trans is what happened this time. I got the trans out of the car and tore it down and was disappointed to find that pretty much everything was stock except for the all the clutches were blue plate. The 2nd gear band looked stock to me.

Upon removal of the 3-4 clutch pack I found out what happened to it right away. Whoever assembled the transmission had gotten the order of frictions and steels confused while installing the 3-4 clutch pack. Right in the middle of the clutch pack there were two frictions right next to each other followed by two steels right next to each other. Probably holds really well that way. :rolleyes: I'm going to talk the guy who sold me the transmission and ask him if he wants to help me get it fixed since it wasn't really my fault the 3-4 clutch pack burned up.

All I want to do is get the car working again for the cheapest possible price. I'm thinking about maybe selling it once I get it fixed. I hardly ever drive it, I'm tired of paying for it and fixing it and I really, really LOVE my truck. :D

dmaxalliTech
04-05-2004, 19:37
Sounds like that would cause a problem for sure. Just Blue's huh? I would hope for some v/b mods too... oh well. Hope all goes well

Jorday
04-05-2004, 19:57
I have heard lots of people having bad luck with the same transmission that I bought. Same story every time. Usually the 3-4 clutch pack that fails, and everything inside is basically stock except for the blue plate clutches, the vacuum control line pressure and maybe a shift kit. :(

Spartus
04-06-2004, 16:40
Jorday, they also replace a lot of the springs, boost valves, steels, reaction shell, and other things. Unless you know what you are looking for it would probably look stock on the inside... I'm on my 5th 4L60E, all BUILT by three different places. I keep a spare out in the barn.... This is in a Caprice/Impala clone making 352 rwhp.... I've broken a lot of hard parts. Sprags, drums, and 3/4 clutches. One mistake some builders make is that they don't put the heavier springs in the 3/4 to help disengage things quick enough at the upper RPM's..

drgracr
04-07-2004, 17:43
Jorday there is a guy dowm my way with the same problems a few years back, 6 trans later (4l60e) ended up putting a turbo 350 in the car, works great ended the problem, other than having no OD..just a thought.
Was it a little cool up in Lapeer? You should bring the truck up to Grandbend, shake up the street class :D

andrewfessler
04-08-2004, 18:56
I too went to the track tonight smile.gif

My first run was 1/4 mile in 14.89 at 88.58 MPH
My second run was 1/4 mile in 14.79 at 89.53 MPH.

I ran my Edge with attitude on level 5, defuel disabled and pre fuel on level 5 (most smoke).

Engine temp was around 160 - 175. I started in 4x4 both times and disabled it about 60ft out. It felt like it dropped out of 4x4 the first time, not sure about the second.

There was another guy there who had an 04 DMAX CC like mine with 10k miles. He had edge juice with attitude as well as he had a upgrade his air intacke to a performance unit that has I think 4x more surface intake area. If I remember correctly, his best time was 14.61. I dont remember the speed. His second and third times were around 14.7

I'll say this, I never expected to feel such power from this truck. The Edge with Attitude is definately worth it and strongly recommended!!

dmaxalliTech
04-09-2004, 19:08
might drop a few more tenths once the trans learns how to handle all that power.