PDA

View Full Version : 93 hard starting

Firefarm
12-08-2003, 17:12
I'm having problems with my 93 not starting. The glow plugs are cycling. It can be plugged in all night or not start after sitting for 5 minutes. The engine just cranks over and kind of rocks a little about every 3rd revolution. Once it is running, everything is fine. I've replaced the batteries and rebuilt the starter and changed the fuel filter. Any ideas???

catmandoo
12-08-2003, 17:33
sounds like maybe the fuel solenoid on the pump ,turn key on and go out and take the pink wire off the pump ,should here a definate click .otherwise has to be glowplug related weather they are getting power or not i've had the relays clicking in and out like normal yet put no power to glowplugs.

Firefarm
12-08-2003, 20:06
It still doesn't start after the engine is warm either. The only way to get it to sart is to give it a little breath of ether...a very little breath...

KrisHull
12-08-2003, 21:42
I know that mine is hard to start because it is low on compression. I don't have to ether it, but it does take some time to get it started.

bobt
12-08-2003, 22:10
Years ago I had trouble with my '93 not starting when warm. After shut down for about 30 -45 minutes, wouldn't start. Had to wait another 15 -30 minutes for it to cool off more before it would start. The problem was the glow plug controller was bad. Engine was just cool enough that it needed a dose of glow plug, but the controller didn't recognize the need. Once it cooled off slightly more, the controller would give it a quick shot of glow plug and it would fire right up. Replaced the controller and problem never recurred. I think excessive heat destroyed my first controller.
Bob