PDA

View Full Version : ATS converter info

big dipper
12-17-2002, 21:27
I installed my converter and line modifier from Kennedy Diesel this weekend. I only have 2000 miles on this truck and already had the slip and slide going on. The clutches were burnt a bit in the C3 clutch pack, I believe. I will know for sure tomorrow when my manual gets here. Replaced them and the t/c and now she is ready. I had previously ran a best of 14.1 on a G-Tech @102mph, well, on the first run tonight I clicked of a 14.08 @ 103.6! I still think I am hitting the limiter. The 14.1 was ran with the fuel very low and no tailgate, but tonight a friend was with me, 3/4 tank of fuel, and tailgate for a combined total of 6960lbs. You can really feel the t/c in tow/haul mode when you shift into 3rd and up. Without t/h you can feel it very noticably lock into 5th. The shifts are a little firmer in regular and a lot more firm in t/h. Not sure what else to tell you, except to give John a call so you too can feel the "whole juice".

hdmax(mike)
12-18-2002, 15:56
How much work involved in doing it yourself?

AzKevin
12-18-2002, 19:42
Does anyone know if the clutch has a break-in period? It would seem possible that new surfaces would need time to worrk correctly, but I'm only guessing. :confused:

big dipper
12-18-2002, 20:14
Removing the transmission and transfer case is pretty easy. However, the torque converter bolts are a job in their own. You can only access them through the starter hole which takes up most of the time as the bolts are recessed in the flywheel.
The tranny is actual pretty simple too!

After driving the truck more today, the shifts are very nice. They seem to be good and firm, but not abrupt. It is kind of simiar to the truck shifting in t/h when it is cold, only it is in regular mode now.

[ 12-18-2002: Message edited by: big dipper ]</p>

mackin
12-18-2002, 20:23
big dipper

Ah don't think we aren't paying attention......But if I'm pulling the tranny, I'm doing it once, hopefully.....To tose more then the HOT JUICE at the Allison it's going to take more then a TC upgrade,I believe.....Well that's where I'm heading....So I hope that something comes of NC,to address the weakest clutch pack ......We shall see....

MAC

I'm off after next week till next year ,maybe I'll go visit Detroit Diesel / Allison, here in New England,with a copy of that thread..... :rolleyes:

[ 12-18-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

big dipper
12-18-2002, 20:37
Mackin,
I deleted some of that post because I remember what happened last week. I didn't want any trouble.

I can only comment on what I found out about the shop in NC. They denied knowing anything about the truck that was described.

The guys that put the clutches in my tranny didn't seem to think the increased holding capacity of the clutches was going to come manually rather electronically. The valve that comes with the ATS kit probably does more good than some would think.

From what I have found out, even though you have a "hot juice", you are not using all of the hot if you know what I mean. I can tell from the g-tech and how the truck feels that I am getting more from the juice now.

There is an Allison shop around the corner from me and I poked around there as well. Each shop is going to be different as some guys will know something other guys don't. From what they told me, they don't have any problems in that area out of the Allisons they service so there was no reason to improve it.

Toddster
12-19-2002, 15:43
Yo Mackster, give me a shout, I'll go with ya....I think I'm @ Bum status for the winter now ! :D

mackin
12-19-2002, 17:15
Yo Big "D"trouble?No trouble, Let it fly,how else will we find out ......

Sooner or later the MAGIC kit or solution will appear, with perhaps a price tag that may offend the novice....I have gotten some interesting E-mail lately, that I need to follow up on....

My Personal thoughts are in reference to subject, chop away=&gt;

There does seem to be a bit of mystery in the Big Power Big Limp thread but we'll see.....Hopefully POSITIVE info will come.....I'm not rag'in on anyone or any product lets make that a known priority.....

More then likely we will have to rely on the aftermarket as most Allison dealers are geared for mass transit and heavier transmission and are not true HOT RODDERS,or will want to be ......Not to say there may be some, but are far and few between, I'm sure....I'll find out how up to snuff my near by shop is when I get back after the Xmas holiday....

I half hearted'ly believe that some modification via electronics may be helpful but HARD parts will sooner or later have to be installed, case and point the triple lock.....A quick 1 2 or 2 3 etc.,shift may work but what happens when OD comes around and must reengage, and stay there at 400 plus HP? That clutch pack, and perhaps others will have to be beefed in some way....Either different friction material, additional plates or clutch face......Something,fursure....

Pretty sure JK said he can slip 5TH gear still at (?)......Lets say more then the Super Juice has to offer.....So the whole package isn't available yet.....But I think it's coming,soon.....I'm not standing in line, yet!!!!! I'll take a triple lock, but genuinely feel it will take more then just pressure control of friction elements and shift point control to get it done,right......I do believe there are aftermarket friction plates available for the M74.... I need LP !!!!!

MAC

Toddster I'll be in touch.....

[ 12-19-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

big dipper
12-19-2002, 18:40
Mac,
No trouble as of yet. Still getting used to the shifts.(me I mean)

I think it was you that posted about the clutches being the same size. I can't remember how many were in each clutch pack, but the one that was burnt up in mine had 4 clutches. Maybe there are more cluthes in the other packs. If there are after-market clutches and plates available, I would have loved to have had them Saturday.

The thing about the Triple Lock is, well, your gonna need it probably sooner than later. I have seen a lot of trannies come apart because of the converter. Honestly, I have no idea of the limitations of the stock converter, but I can tell you the looks of the ATS converter alone are impressive! I doubt there will be many of them failing.

Most other trannies would have been anchors by now, in stock form. JK's truck seemed to do fine at the pull off and he had a beta version of the hot juice. I think he even towed his other truck out there in level 4.

I read this forum everyday and am willing to share any results I have. I can tell you where I got this stuff and they can verify it. I by no means am any easier on the throttle simply because I had a little problem before. After all, the 14.08 on the G-tech was just a few minutes after completing the install. I would rather have it fail close to home than be stuck somewhere in BFE with a trailer!

[ 12-19-2002: Message edited by: big dipper ]</p>