PDA

View Full Version : LLY Juice cough

pgreen
01-03-2005, 17:37
Recently installed a Juice / Attitude on my brand spanking new '05 LLY. After a long acceleration (50% throttle or better) it will cough real hard. Almost sounds and feels like an old carburated car backfiring through the carb. Any other LLY owners seeing this? I called Edge today and they didn't really have an answer. They are working on some programming fixes, but nothing yet.

It doesn't seem to matter what power setting it is in, or even if the truck is up to temp enough for the Edge to be active.

Edge suggested I have the ECM flashed with the latest program (truck was built Dec. 15, 2004!)

Not sure what to do at this point. I really liked the Juice in my LB7 3500, but not real happy with the LLY Juice so far.

dmaxalliTech
01-03-2005, 18:55
Pete, there is no updates for the 05's.. At least not yet.

Sounds typical of Edge problems I've heard/read about for the LLY's :(

Kennedy
01-04-2005, 06:29
I've heard this on other LLY trucks, but mine has never done this. Are you rolling off the pedal after accelleration, or maintaining steady pedal?

rickdlance
01-04-2005, 08:30
Sounds like the turbo may be overboosting and poping the waste gate. I have 3 of the Edge boxes, 2 LB&'s and 1 LLY, and I do not have that problem. I would send it back to them for a replacement.

pgreen
01-04-2005, 17:00
Originally posted by kennedy:
I've heard this on other LLY trucks, but mine has never done this. Are you rolling off the pedal after accelleration, or maintaining steady pedal? Just steady. Doesn't even have to be full throttle. 1/2-3/4 throttle sometimes will do it.

Performance is NOWHERE NEAR my LB7, even though the truck is supposed to have more HP / Torque, and the Juice/Attitude has a level 5 with again ore HP / Torque. Best 0-60 time on level 5 has been 8.8 seconds. Level 3 is about 9.8. Stock is 10.5. LB7 on Level 4 (Juice 4.6.1) ran mid 6 second 0-60 without even blowing much smoke. I have chased cars out of the lane behind me with the LLY in level 3, 4, and completely blasted them in L5.

I am really kind of bummed that my '02 LB7 is gone now.... I hope this LLY pulls my 13K trailer as good as my LB7 or I won't be a happy camper. I ran in level 4 all the time before, even towing. No problems (except a driver-induced one).

Not sure what to do.

JK, think it's worth swapping to another box? Edge wasn't real encouraging or of much help. I was a die-hard believer in their product for the LB7, but I'm quickly changing my mind with the LLY.

Phil

pgreen
01-04-2005, 17:03
Originally posted by rickdlance:
Sounds like the turbo may be overboosting and poping the waste gate. I have 3 of the Edge boxes, 2 LB&'s and 1 LLY, and I do not have that problem. I would send it back to them for a replacement. How can I see if this is the problem? I'm not even sure where the waste gate is. I haven't seen over about 29 PSI boost. But, it is making the cough noise and stumble at higher revs, probably at a boost peak. Where is the factory waste gate set? Maybe this is a big part of the problem, maybe not at all, but I'd like to find out!

Thanks!

P

RdTxTd
01-05-2005, 17:43
Originally posted by rickdlance:
Sounds like the turbo may be overboosting and poping the waste gate.
Does the LLY have a waste gate? This article says the variable vane turbo eliminates the need for a waste gate.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/lly2004.htm

Dave

pgreen
01-06-2005, 09:33
Yep, you're right:

"This computer-controlled variable action provides real-time control over boost pressure, eliminating the need for a wastegate."