PDA

View Full Version : noise at air intake

02bymorris
03-31-2004, 06:01
I have picked up on a noise that I have not previously noticed on my '02 DMAX. It is a hollow cadence when at idle. Do other DMAX owners hear a similar noise from your engine? One comment I got was because diesels do not have a throttle you hear everything through the air tract. Also, are there any recommended valve adjustment interval on these engines?

More Power
04-07-2004, 15:32
Often times, an odd sound can be traced to some part of the engine or an accessory making contact with some other part of the engine or transmission. The intercooler piping, for example, free-floats in the space alloted to it. Any contact with a frame, body or engine component would produce a hollow droning sound at various engine speeds.

Valve adjustments... I haven't run across any recommendations for routine valve lash adjustments. There have been quite a few high-mile Dmax owners report their experiences, but no mention of valve adjustments. The service manuals go into this in detail - relating to other top-end service/maintenance....

MP

Cornell
04-08-2004, 04:42
Do not worry my 2004 LLY makes the same sound, I think what we are hearing is the air resonating through the intake. tongue.gif

Kennedy
04-08-2004, 05:42
I hear a glug-glug-glug in the intake on mine, which intensifies as load increases, as in when I apply my exhaust brake...

02bymorris
04-09-2004, 09:31
Thanks for the comments,
Finally got tired of wondering and worrying, to it to the dealer Wednesday A.M. Late Wednesday the service guy says they hear something thats louder than it should be, have not heard anymore 2 1/2 days later, so we'll see.