PDA

View Full Version : YOUR ENGINE MAY BE AT RISK please look within

Searay90
03-20-2003, 18:44
I checked my OEM air at 14,720 miles and found that it was manufactured with a serious defect in it that left an area about 1/2 wide by 6 inches long that had no filter pleats on it. So for almost 15K miles I have been letting dirty unfiltered air into my DMAX. Please check your OEM filter carefully and let me know if you have the same problem. My e-mail address is on the web page below. I have an appoitment in two weeks with the dealership and the GM Factory Rep for Dallas TX. I need your help to see if this issue has happened to others out there.

I have sent off an oil sample and am awaiting the results.

Thank you for helping out a fellow D-MAX owner.

http://home1.gte.net/hstearns/defective%20air%20filter.htm

[ 03-20-2003: Message edited by: Searay90 ]</p>

FirstDiesel
03-20-2003, 19:38
Ow, that's nasty.

george morrison
03-20-2003, 19:55
I would highly suggest you capture an oil sample and send it in immediately. It takes but a teaspoon of dirt to destroy a huge CAT V-16 engine! Obviously much less to sand a Duramax. Be prepared, know what you have going into the meeting. You can capture a sample without draining the oil via the use of a thief (vacuum device using a plastic tube that you can insert into the oil dipstick). A spectrographic analysis would be a good baseline for future analysis trends.
Also a spectro + ferrography would give you a very complete picture and give an even better indication if there was severe wear taking place asa result of the high potential contaminant levels.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Searay90
03-20-2003, 20:21
George, I purchased an oil analysis kit from a local Amsoil dealer as I wanted that Oil out of my motor ASAP. I should have the results back soon. The kit was from "Oil Analyzers" and sold by Amsoil dealers.

Do you know what type of analysis they will be doing??

Thanks,

Harry

TraceF
03-21-2003, 05:16
A recommendation to perform Ferrography after a

More Power
03-21-2003, 16:26
Quote from:

SAE Technical Paper #881827, "Review of Lubricant Contamination and Diesel Engine Wear".

"Even abrasive powders containing particles up to 80 microns did not cause as much damage as test contaminants in the 0-10 micron range."

Considering road dust comes in all sizes, it would appear the sub-ten micron particles are of importance.

MP

Searay90
03-24-2003, 15:34
UP UP UP.......... has anyone else seen this problem?

WillowCreekStable
03-24-2003, 16:36
I checked mine and asked 2 others I know with Dmaxes. All OK.

An ugly problem. Hope you get satisfaction. :eek: