PDA

View Full Version : duramax injectors dealer comment

moedog
12-29-2004, 17:11
i was at the local gmc dealer picking up some supercharger oil for my wifes buick and asked the parts guys ( they are usually more honest than the service managers ) if they get many 6.5s in still having fuel system problems. he said a fair amount but the bigger problem is the duramax injector failures at 500.00 per injector. yikes!!!!! and sorry to hear that!!!!
glad i have a cummins ready to go into my 6.5!

Tough Guy
12-29-2004, 19:37
Those $500 injectors are covered under warranty for 200,000 miles... :eek:

No worries smile.gif

Cheers,

The "Boy" TG ;)

64postcarnut
12-29-2004, 20:27
Where did you get the 200K mile number? Mine's covered to 100K.Is there a policy extension?

Tough Guy
12-29-2004, 20:39
This is a quote from More Power:

"The LB7 Duramax fuel injectors now have a factory warranty for 7 years or 200,000 miles. This eases the uncertainty for lots of folks..."

Cheers

yankee
12-30-2004, 02:38
Originally posted by Tough Guy:
This is a quote from More Power:

"The LB7 Duramax fuel injectors now have a factory warranty for 7 years or 200,000 miles. This eases the uncertainty for lots of folks..."

Cheers Even 03 and LB7 04's? I don't think so.More like I'm positive their not.

TanM998
12-30-2004, 15:23
I believe the warranty extension was for a LB7 engine, regardless of the year. As they had the issue fixed for the LLY version.

To be certain, give your dealer a call and ask them, they will know the definate answer on if your particular truck is covered or not.

Scott
'85 Tan M998 W/CTIS

Tough Guy
12-30-2004, 18:07
yankee

I took a few moments and dug up some posts concerning 03 injector replacements....there are more than a few. With time 04's will probably show similar symptoms on the same level.

The writing on the wall would indicate that all LB7's will eventually be included for the extended coverage (7yr 200,000 miles).

But as it stands now you are some-what correct, the only owners to receive an "official" letter from GM are 01 and 02 owners.

So...if you have info particularly excluding 03 and 04 LB7 engines, it would peak my interest.

Cheers,

The "Boy" TG ;)

moedog
12-30-2004, 18:30
ITS ALWAYS GOOD TO HEAR WARRANTY WILL PAY, BUT MY TIME, MY FAMLIES VACATION RUINED, THE DANGER OF BEING ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD WAITING FOR A TOW TRUCK, ETC. ETC. BY THE WAY, THE 6.5 EXTENDED WARRANTY ON THE INJECTION PUMP WONT PAY FOR ( TOW TRUCK BILL ) OR YOUR MOTEL WHEN STRANDED. WHY CANT GM JUST GET IT RIGHT. HELL! THEY BROUGHT IN THE JAPS THIS TIME AND THE GERMANS AND ALL THREE STILL SCREWEDUP THE MOTOR FOR GOING WITHOUT MAJOR TROUBLE! YIKES WHATS GOING ON WITH OUR ENGINEERS?

rjschoolcraft
12-30-2004, 19:17
Unfortunately, there is a reality out there where trade-offs occur. As a design engineer myself, I've been told "no" before by cost conscious bosses who wanted to "get by the cheapest way." So, ultimately, it comes down to the engineer making a good enough technical case (which I've been quite good at) and getting the boss to give you the extra funds to do the job. Some engineers don't want to rock the boat badly enough to stand up to the boss. That's the way life is. The good news is that most of these problems eventually get resolved one way or another. By the way, Moedog, my Suburban has over 223,000 miles on it now.

dcalex
12-31-2004, 00:47
But as it stands now you are some-what correct, the only owners to receive an "official" letter from GM are 01 and 02 owners.I was at the Chevy fleet dealer today and he confirmed what Tough Guy said.

dcalex
12-31-2004, 01:05
By-the-way is was just at a Dodge forum.....they have an injector poll going too. They're now running an 11% failure with 108 reporting to the poll so far. This was on their "3rd generation" trucks, so they are reporting fairly new trucks. They also had to close out and remove a whole thread on the tranny as well as issue some real tough guidelines as to tranny posts....things were getting pretty heated I guess. I'm not slamming Dodge, they make good trucks too. My point is, that they all have their quirks and problems it seems. In my own mind, I know that they all can make better trucks, but I doubt we could afford them when they did. As for me....I'm still looking and asking questions, but if I get a D-max I'll also get the extended dealer warranty.....would do the same for a PowerStroke or Cummins.

yankee
12-31-2004, 03:33
Originally posted by Tough Guy:
yankee

I took a few moments and dug up some posts concerning 03 injector replacements....there are more than a few. With time 04's will probably show similar symptoms on the same level.

The writing on the wall would indicate that all LB7's will eventually be included for the extended coverage (7yr 200,000 miles).

But as it stands now you are some-what correct, the only owners to receive an "official" letter from GM are 01 and 02 owners.

So...if you have info particularly excluding 03 and 04 LB7 engines, it would peak my interest.

Cheers,

The "Boy" TG ;) In reading the current TSB replace all 8 extended warranty campaign it is Vin specific.Last I heard 03 and beyond are still in the traditional 3 year 36 and Engine 5 year 100,000 mile warranty.As you imply the writing maybe on the wall, but it hasn't been put in print yet that I know of.

moedog
12-31-2004, 16:20
THIS IS A GREAT FORUM ON ALL THE IFS AND ANDS AND WISH IT COULD BE'S. I HEAR YOU ON BUDGETS AND DESIGN AND YES THE DODGE TRUCKS DEFENITELY HAVE ISSUES, MY FRIENDS REAREND WENT OUT OF HIS 04 DODGE AT 700 MILES. THEY REPLACED AND NOW THE SEALS ARE LEAKING. MY NEIGHBORS 03 POWERJOKE WAS FINALLY BOUGHT BACK BY FORD AND HIS 04 WONT STOP STRAIGHT.
MY OTHER FRIENDS DURAMAX IS ON THE 3RD OR FOURTH FLYWHEEL AND STILL CHATTERING.
MY BIGGEST CONCERN-COMPLAINT IS ALL OF THESE ISSUES ARE ITEMS THAT HAVENT HAD PROBLEMS IN THE PAST. LIKE THE FLYWHEELS AND 1998 OR OLDER CUMMINS INJECTORS, NO TROUBLE AND WHEN WORN OUT THEY ARE 300.00 FOR ALL SIX!
I HAVE EXAMPLES OF TOYOTA ENGINES FAILING WITH 10,000 MILES. BLAH BLAH BLAH.
I SOMETIMES WONDER IF MAN IS GETTING SMARTER OR JUST MORE COMPLICATED THAN NEEDED.

HAPPY NEW YEARS TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Springcrik
01-01-2005, 08:00
Quote:" They also had to close out and remove a whole thread on the tranny as well as issue some real tough guidelines as to tranny posts....things were getting pretty heated I guess."

You are correct that the tranny issue is heated, but it doesn't concern the factory transmission. (which a is not heavy-duty enough to stand up to bombing, but that's a different subject.) The tranny issue concerns a "war" between supporters of the after-market DTT and ATS brands. The owner of DTT got banned from the TDR (unfairly, IMHO.) Things can get real ugly in a real hurry so my-daddy-can-beat-your-daddy tranny threads are not allowed over there. ;)

Tractor
01-01-2005, 09:06
We got a new Sterling with a Mercedes diesel, no oil pressure. Only got 700 miles and about 25 hours on the engine. Loaded on the lowboy the other day and hauled it down the road to Gillette, Wyo. The dealer has to replace the engine, because they can,t figure it out. As I was rollin down the highway at least the truck looked pretty riding on the lowboy. Yea MOEDOG I hear you load and clear with your statement.
TRACTOR

Jimamatic
01-01-2005, 09:49
In an earlier post, RonnieJoe hit it on the head. If the engineers had a free pass to design
trucks these trucks right, you would see a much
higher quality product. I can see it in many areas on my truck.

1. Body metal is too thin.
2. Tires too small.
3. Shocks are junk.
4. Steering clunk problem, (sleeve instead of a
bearing).
5. Wire gauge too small making lights pathetic.
6. Paint chips easily.
7. Tie rods too small.
8. etc. etc........

Don't get me wrong, I like my truck. But you can
see where the engineers have designed every area
down to an absolute minimum. The reason IMHO comes down to three reasons, profit, profit, and
more profit. I've had to spend a cosiderable amount of money on my truck to get to a point as it should have come from the factory. I'm not done yet either. I still need to upgrade my wiring harness to get some decent lighting. We
recently purchased a Nissan mini van and you should see how this thing lights up the night sky. It puts my truck to shame. This practice will continue until sales begin to suffer, which
I don't see happening any time soon. Just my two
cents. HAPPY NEW YEAR......

2001 2500 hd cc sb d/a 33,000 miles

64postcarnut
01-01-2005, 15:25
So,let me see if I'm close to grasping this mess.The 01's and 02's had a factory 36K warranty on their drivetrain,correct? Or was it always 100K? Has anyone tried to get their injectors warrantied under the new extension WITH a bombed truck? Is the extended warranty being voided?

I want to put an exhaust on next,but I'm afraid of voiding my warranty.Esp. if it gets extended to 200K.It's conceiveble that I could have to pay out of pocket($10-15K) for several sets of injectors over a 200K mile period.

Colorado Kid
01-03-2005, 13:52
We started out with 3 year/36,000 miles on everything and 7 years/100,000 miles with a $100 deductible after 3/36 on the duramax engine (just engine, not drivetrain). Then those of us with 2001 and 2002 trucks got a letter notifying us of a warranty extension on the injectors to 10 years/200,000 miles, no deductible.

dcalex
01-03-2005, 23:26
Springcrik

Thanks for the clarification. I got to the forum after the thread had been closed out, but I read the new posting guidlines. Like I said, I wasn't slamming Dodge, but trying to make a point about all of them having their own problems. Slamming another manufacturer is about the most pointless thing I see in any forum and I visit forums a lot. I'm a tractor restorer by hobby and the same thing happens there.

4diesels
01-04-2005, 07:52
The new Dodge trannies have actually been holding up very well. The old 47re version was a problem, no doubt.

The injector issue on the CTD is a little different than the one here. First off the poll rate is about half what it is here. Second, they do not do a wholesale replacement of all the injectors like GM is doing. Part of the reason is the location of the injectors. On the LB7 a leaking injector can contaminate the crankcase with diesel, this isn't an issue with the Cummins.

I think it is a cruel joke that niether brand can get the fuel injectors right. GM has been having problems since '01 and they still go bad on new trucks, that is sad. Then Dodge/Cummins goes out an fits its new trucks with similar injectors and guess what? Problems, even IF they don't seem as prevalent yet. That is just plain stupid. IF somebody made a powerful diesel without these problems maybe they would do it right the first time. Better look out, looks like Toyota might get into the game :eek: I have NO brand loyalty, I just want what works.

Woodsworth
01-05-2005, 16:50
I have an '02, bought in Canada December 02, but no letter regarding the injectors. (The only letter I have received regards the tailgate cables).

Did they improve the injectors during the 02 model year?

ovis
01-05-2005, 18:49
Well it is good to see there is a solid warranty in place for our Duramax. Alot of you guys are pretty confident. I'm driving an '01 w/ 110,000 miles and I've been waitng 6.5 weeks for my back ordered injectors. One failed weekend getaway when the loss of power first turned up. dealer assured me it was poor fuel. Next time the family's on board and we're passing a semi at 80mph and power fails. that was a white knuckle evening, only being able to muster 35MPH an the interstate in the dark of night,,,, I'm still waiting for the backordered injectors and my confidence is deeply shaken. Look out you 02-05's, I'm afraid your time will come, warranty or not. I'm able to run around town and short trip the highweay as long as I don't have to get on it and overload my crippled Bosch injectors...I will wait for the reinstall and then decide to comtinue runnimg the rig or get out from under it...shaken in Battle Creek

madmatt
01-05-2005, 19:54
not being one to point fingers but the EPA has their hand in this pot. In their quest to save the world they are forcing mfg's to get tougher on diesel emissions. too meet these requirements, designers are upping injection pressures to to create a finer spray pattern that burns more effiect and cleaner. by doing so they are putting serious stress on the inj. bodies. also while GM owners are usually waiting 3 or 4 days in most cases for injector repairs, 6.0l ford owners are waiting weeks even months for replacement engines after theirs blew a crank or rod.

fishhead
01-05-2005, 20:42
I am sorry to say that I have had 3 sets of fuel injectors (2 of them have been the so called new design) The problem has not ben fixed, Mine are going out again....but I did the lemon law and won...after 80,000. I sure hope that the 05's are better. Good luck to all
Marci

madmatt
01-06-2005, 18:04
is your dealership sure thats the problem? what do you mean by "going out"? what is your actual conaern w/ the truck? hard start, fuel in oil, miss, ses light, etc....? and if the new LLY s aren't better, @ least they'll be easier to put injectors in!!! also I've put a lot of new LB7 injectors in and have never done the same truck twice.

moedog
01-06-2005, 18:38
ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET TO THE CUMMINS BOARD OR FORUM LIKE THIS ONE????
THANKS
DAN

dcalex
01-07-2005, 00:22
moedog

This one is Dodge/Cummins

The Diesel Register (http://www.turbodieselregister.com/)

fishhead
01-07-2005, 15:43
We can usally tell before they are going to go out....service engine light comes on and we start smelling diesel and the usally it ends up all over the place. My new truck will not be in for 4 more weeks...I just hope this ones makes it that long. We tow a boat or I would just get a rental.
marci

Tractor
01-07-2005, 17:00
madmatt
Yep, I think you are right about the high fuel pressure Idea. Had a talk with a buddy of mine at work who is our equipment supervisor for Northeastern Wyoming. Another Mercedes Diesel that is all but new go down east of here. It is a fuel problem from the pump to the rail. The regulator was changed, but that did not stop the problem. It runs a while then dies and won,t start up. He feels the fuel pressure is so high to burn the fuel so clean, that it is causing problems that they can not solve that this time. Another guy can not put enough injectors in his ford that is new. And yet his ole 7.3L is still rolling after 250,000 hard miles. The new emissions and new computers on these new fancy engines will be fine I,am sure. But mans brain will take a while to catch up to the problems
TRACTOR

madmatt
01-07-2005, 20:15
no doubt....i had the LB7 pretty well figured out then came the LLY. I thought, how much could they have changed??? Not much I figured...untill I completly bombed a LB7-LLY engine update course. i flew through the material w/out reading it....and surpise!!! I'm still baffled as to why and what all they changed.

mdrag
01-24-2005, 08:59
We started out with 3 year/36,000 miles on everything and 7 years/100,000 miles with a $100 deductible after 3/36 on the duramax engine (just engine, not drivetrain). Then those of us with 2001 and 2002 trucks got a letter notifying us of a warranty extension on the injectors to 10 years/200,000 miles, no deductible. Just to clarify warranty coverage - the warranty on my 2001 Dmax engine is 5 yrs/100k with a $100 deductible after 3 yrs/36k, and 7 yr/200k extended warranty on fuel injectors...

madmatt
01-26-2005, 18:39
fishhead, i know this is late coming, but has your dealer checked the mating surface of the fuel lines to the injectors. the lines have been know to get corroded and cause this.