PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Recomendation

RCF
12-08-2003, 06:26
Stranded in Mexico this past week with alternator shot. Local mechanic in small village in Sonora jury rigged an alternator that allowed me to get rig out of Mexico. Now need to return loaner alternator and buy replacement for my Burb. This will be the 3rd alternator on vechicle in 100,000 miles. Both prior alternators were from the "stealer" (CS-130 105Amp DelcoRemy).
Is there a better alternative after-market or upgrade alternator out there or should I stick with the GM replacement?

Dick

1994 6.5L TD Surburban 4x4
100,000 Miles (Origional owner)
Kennedy PMD with Extention
ISSPRO Boost & Piro (Piller)
Racor post lift pump filter
Flowmaster 3" exhaust
Hypertech Chip
Rancho 5000 Shocks
Michelien 265x75xR16's
Mickey Thompson Forged Alluminum's
CorrecTrack rear axle spacers

DmaxMaverick
12-08-2003, 06:43
If you go through alternators like that, I'd suggest getting one from Autozone or Kragen, or the like. IMO, they are no better than the GM's, but can be had with a lifetime replacement warranty. Also, they are typically less than half the price of the dealer. It would even be practical to buy 2, and keep one under the seat for such ocasions.

Fortunately, alternators are not like starters (which can also be plagued with the "replace monthly" syndrome). They are relatively easy to replace.

britannic
12-08-2003, 07:42
Or you could get your alternator rebuilt by a good shop and get them to install HD parts. I had both of my alternators rebuilt that way.

CareyWeber
12-08-2003, 08:07
RCF,

I went about 100,000 miles on my factory alternator before went out.

Replaced it with a Napa lifetime alternator and then replaced that one 3 times in 1.5 years.

After the last time I finally replaced the last 2 battery cables (these were the ones from the bat to the starter and the alt to the battery), and I haven't hard any more issues.

Carey

cruzer
12-08-2003, 09:42
Be sure to keep the pulley and install on new alt. The tach gets its RPM off the alt and
pulley size is critical.FYI

Bobbie Martin
12-08-2003, 11:08
The Delco CS 130 has a reliability record that would make a Lucas alternator proud! I went through several of the NAPA "lifetime" alternators (which means you will spend your lifetime replacing it) and ended up getting one built with an iceberg (http://www.duboismarketing.com/iceberg.html) case. The iceberg case has cooling fins at the back by the diodes - sort of an FSD cooler for your alternator. The only problem is the mounting brackets hit the iceberg fins. I modified my brackets without too much trouble. The other problem is the pulley. The pressed steel pulley has a problem of coming loose. Installing a cast pulley seems to help. There is also a big front bearing that can be installed. I suggest you pay a visit to an alternator shop and have them build you one to your specifications. With the iceberg case, cast pulley, big bearings, etc. it's about as good as you can get. I have finally gone over a year with no alternator problems with this set up. I have had the iceberg case for several years and no diode problems since. You can see pictures of my set up by clicking here. (http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=87&subpageid=24530&ck=)

[ 12-08-2003, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Bobbie Martin ]

jspringator
12-08-2003, 16:10
My alternator has 150,000 miles. I have replaced and upsized the + wire between the batteries, + wire to main circuit panel, and wire to block ground. I upgraded to Optimas and did the Battery connection fix. I really think that it is the battery connections that cause the repeated alternator electrical failures. Should I be carrying a spare?

Or can I use the DC out on my travel trailer generator to wire into the system to get me home? Since the batteries are tied together {charger circuit with no diode}, if I connected the generator DC out to my TT generator, they should be tied together, at least enough to get me home. Does this sound right?

RCF
12-08-2003, 17:32
To update my problem, I took my bum alternator to Tucson Alternator & Starter Exchange here in Tucson. They specialize in heavy duty repairs for the copper mines in this area. They sold me an alternator with the heavy duty upgrades,(bearings,diodes etc)so we shall see how this one performs. I have done Dr. Lee's batt terminal upgrades and am waiting for this set of AC Delco batteries to take a powder and plan on installing Optima's at that time. Also plan on buying a spare alternator for my Mexico fishing trips. I already have numerous filters,hoses,belts,PMD,etc. but Mexico is not a fun place to have break downs. Thanks to all that responded

Dick