PDA

View Full Version : heated fuel filter?

Jeep Puller
07-04-2003, 02:25
I've finally decided to go with a Racor post OEM secondary fuel filter. I hear though that these are available with or without a heater. Could someone please explain to me the benefits and downsides of having a heated fuel filter? Where would you pick up power for such a heater?
Thanx guys!

LanduytG
07-04-2003, 06:28
The down side of a heated unit is that it adds another $50 to the cost. When I install the heated units I use and aux relay that is activated by the key switch. I then get power from the fuse block under the hood to feed the relay witch then powers the heater. The heater has a thermostat so you do not need to worry about turning it off and on. As far as needing a heated unit where you leave is up to you. But just remember that fuel filters freeze up on the coldest day of the year and never at a place where its convenant.

Greg

dmaxalliTech
07-04-2003, 08:11
the oem system uses a heater on it, comes on when fuel temp is below 40ish degrees. If you are putting in another place to potentially collect water, i.e. another filter, its a good idea to add it if its available. Its worth the 50.00 if it freezes on you once!! I have installed some of Greg's filter set ups and they are a nice install, heater is effective, or at least seems to be. I have one customer with pre 2 micron with nearly 15k on it, no hiccups or signs of plugging up. We are gonna change it when he hits 15k and cut it open...

Jeep Puller
07-05-2003, 22:39
OK, thanx, guys. That makes sense. But now I have another question. If the relay is activated by the key switch, then the heater only functions when the key is on, right (motor running, presumably)? If the motor is running, it seems that the flow of fuel through the filter would make it less likely to freeze up then than it would be just sitting in the driveway overnight. Or am I missing something?