PDA

View Full Version : slow acceleration

redrider#1
08-27-2005, 05:32
My truck is slow to accelerate until rpm's get up to 2000rpm, then it rips! The slow acceleration seems to be excessive and makes it hard to get in and out of traffic. Is this normal? I am having the fuel filter changed today under the recall, as I do not know when it was changed last. The air filter is new.

More Power
08-27-2005, 10:35
A turbo diesel takes a moment to spool up the turbo, before it can make real power. In addition, engine management is such that the computer won't give the engine a lot of fuel till boost rises enough to keep smoke at bay.

Some power modules can add fuel quickly regardless of boost. This make the truck more responsive to throttle, but smokes more till boost catches up. The Edge Juice comes to mind for quicker throttle response (and more initial smoke), while the Predator programmer and the VanAaken "consumer" modules don't (they feel slower, but make roughly equivalent dyno power).

So to answer your question - if what you're reporting is a significant change from what it was, there may be an issue. Would be helpful to know if the power "comes in" when boost reaches a certain level or if it is really RPM related. I suspect it's boost related.

Jim