PDA

View Full Version : How do I launch my duramax?

AndyG
08-23-2005, 01:23
OK, when I try to launch (stomp it to the floor) from a dead stop to time 0 to 60 or just have some fun....I seem to just creep along and go through the gears as if I was at part throttle ?? My old gasser would squall tires and haul butt. I must be doing something wrong. Sometimes when I pull out of a parking lot and get on it, the duramax will go hard like I want it to.
So, the question is... am I doing something wrong? How do you launch a turbo charged diesel truck at the dragstrip?

:confused:

Kennedy
08-23-2005, 07:07
More detail would be nice, but suffice to say the turbo needs to be spooled (spinning faster) to get a good start. This is done by holding the brakes hard and bringing the revs up to 1500 or more, then releasing the brake and "matting" the go pedal simultaneously. Don't hold it all day as it heats the transmission, and the more rpm's (directly related to boost) you build the harder it will launch. This works up to the point where the rear tires break loose...

AndyG
08-23-2005, 20:01
Isn't holding the brakes while revving up the engine extremely hard on the rear brakes? Sounds like the ultimate way would be the old line lock (solenoid which maintains pressure on front brakes so pedal can be released to let pressure off rear).

Kennedy
08-24-2005, 08:46
You need all the braking you can get. By simultaneously matting the go pedal and releasing the brakes you aren't spinning with the brakes applied. If you lock out the rears the tires will just go up in smoke...

REDTRUCK05
08-28-2005, 19:27
I am trying to love my new truck. 2005 2500HD 6.6, There is a real "spool up time" from a dead stop. I dont know how it will change if I chip my truck. I do know with my 2001 F250 7.3 it would break the tires loose from a dead stop. Only after being chipped.