PDA

View Full Version : Sealant for gauge tapping?

SparkyTX
06-30-2003, 17:40
What kind fo thread sealant did you guys use for your pyro and boost taps? I got all the parts rounded up (finally) adn am ready to do th install. Plan the pyro in the passenger manifold and the boost on the aluminum "downshaft" to the manifold after the intercooler.

DieselDixon
06-30-2003, 23:05
I used anti seize on the pyro I put in.

SoMnDMAX
06-30-2003, 23:48
Antisieze on the pyro probe.

Teflon paste on the boost fitting.

SparkyTX
07-01-2003, 06:56
Not familiar with "anti-seize". Is this something I can pick up at the local NAPA?

chuntag95
07-01-2003, 07:16
Yes, anti seize is at any auto store. It's function is to allow you to get the fitting back out later. It is normally used on high temp bolts because the expanding and contracting of the bolt will create a mechanical bond or friction weld itself into place. Anti-seize puts a very thin layer inbetween the two surfaces to prevent this bond.
Another option is thread sealant. Permatex makes a high temp version that will handle the manifold temperatures if you are worried about leaks. I did several hot tests with a laser temp probe and found that the temps weren't as bad as I thought. 300-400 degrees F. I'm sure that can go higher if you are leaning on it good.
If you think you will ever remove the fitting and plug the hole, go with the anti-seize. If you will never take it out, go with the sealant. Or use both, put sealant on the fitting into the manifold and then anti-seize on the compression fitting that holds the probe in. That way if you have a probe go bad, you can replace it.
For the boost, you can use teflon tape or the Permatex thread sealant either one. The temps are near as high. Don't go grabbing the thing after running for 8 hours as it will be toasty, but not at manifold temps.
Just my 0.02 and thank you for shopping at AutoZone. tongue.gif :D

SparkyTX
07-01-2003, 10:53
Thanks for the info. I was originally planning on using the high-temp sealant that I use on head bolts when building my hi-perf gassers. Never had to worry about things seizing themselves as I usually blow those motors within the first 6k miles! Maybe I will have to pick some of that up for this one. I hope to not be messing with this one for a few more than 6k!