PDA

View Full Version : Engine hesitation during right turns

BigLakeDMAX
06-29-2003, 20:56
I don't even have a guess on this one. Four times in the past two weeks, always while towing my 30' 5th wheel (about 9500 lbs), the engine has hesitated - basically cut out, then surged. This happens while making right turns at slow speeds (5 - 10 mph), as soon as I hit the accelerator as the turn is completing. It's as if the engine stalls for a second, then surges ahead. It's done it while fuel level in the tank is anywhere between 1/2 and full, and with outdoor temps in the 80's. And, on different tanks of fuel, after driving for an hour or better each time. Have 20k on truck now, about 8k on fuel filter and no engine mods.

Anybody have a similar problem or have a guess on this one? I don't even want to take this in to the dealer as I know the odds of their being able to duplicate the problem are nill at this point.

mackin
06-30-2003, 04:16
Is it the Engine dying or tranny lurching in first ???

Mine also will "Lurch" under light throttle,empty .... Fly by wire,quirk .....

Mac

NWDmax
06-30-2003, 07:07
"The surge" I get is as mac describes but happens anytime I back off the throttle real quick @ low speeds.
If I go up my driveway and let off abruptly it does the buck and surge.
It also does it when I stab the pedal but only when going slow.
Turning has not not had any effect on it one way or the other.
Sounds like you got a normal truck. smile.gif

chuntag95
06-30-2003, 08:06
I get the same surge empty when really close to another vehicle in a parking lot. Never fails it surges when I am worried about being close. :rolleyes:

BigLakeDMAX
06-30-2003, 18:22
I was thinking along the lines of a 2 - 1 tranny shift as well, but it seems more engine related. It's not enough to drop gauge readings or illuminate warning lights as in a complete stall. I'm not overly worried about it either, as this thing tows very strong and gets decent mileage. Just reminds me of my '80 Citation that used to kill when you made a sharp turn, right or left I don't remember, as the fuel sloshed to the outside of the bowl and starved the engine out.

Thanks for the replies - they help!

dmaxalliTech
06-30-2003, 21:04
You know,I get that surge also, I was wondering if anybody else got it...I think 6.6l$impalaSS has this same thing.... hmmm

hoot
06-30-2003, 21:33
I can almost make it do it. When on a hill at a stop. Give it a little nudge and it sometimes surges a little after the initial tap.

mackin
07-01-2003, 04:11
Originally posted by hoot:
I can almost make it do it. When on a hill at a stop. Give it a little nudge and it sometimes surges a little after the initial tap. Yup that's it ...... It has to be fly by wire sensitivity issue ....Can be a pain in reverse with the power turned up too,extra sensitive ...... :eek:

On/off delay in voltage change,would be my guess ....

Mac http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

britannic
07-01-2003, 09:49
Anytime I'm trolling slowly along in first at idle and then tap the throttle, it defuels and almost stalls followed by a brief surge, before idling again.

hoot
07-01-2003, 09:53
I think it's the ecm overcompensating when it sees the short low rpm after the tap.

LittleBigRig
07-14-2003, 11:55
BigLakeDMAX,

Almost fell out of my chair; decided to do a quick look on the forum for a "hesitation during right hand turns" and your thread popped up. Mine is 100% reproducible and occurs pretty much anytime I apply the throttle after coasting at low speeds - like right after making a right hand turn!

I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I know what it isn't. It isn't turbo lag because the engine doesn't respond at all - it is almost as if the throttle-by-wire has a delay built-in. Too, I did have the 2-1 downshift problem fixed a few months back; maybe the new shift alorithm holds-off the throttle until the Allison is in the right mode. Either way, you and I seem to have the same problem!

Lone Eagle
07-14-2003, 19:19
I have noticed mine is a lot touchier in first gear since I got Juiced. I always make sure the wheels are pointed straight ahead before I get on the throttle. Later! Lone Eagle :D

Bigwheel
07-15-2003, 00:05
I get the surge also, when coasting then hitting the accelerator, it almost seems like a hesitation, then a surge follows. There have been some suggests of the 2 to 1 downshift problem, possibly a program / tranny software upgrades????, I have not received any service notices regarding issues like this, my 02 is totally stock, I now have 9900 miles, it's been in the shop twice, but never upgraded, programmed, no error codes, so they leave it alone. If it wasn't for this site, I'd never hear other wise. Thanks.. :eek: :rolleyes:

DIESELMAX403
07-15-2003, 11:05
BigLakeDMAX,

I have had this happen 2-3 times while making a sharp right hand turn. It has never happened any other time. It felt as though I suddenly let off of the gas.

My senario is as follows:

When the light turns green, I proceed up a gentle slope, slightly back off the throttle, make the sharp turn and then ease back into the throttle. As I am easing back into the throttle, the hesitation occurs.

Now that I know other people are having the same problem, I will pay more attention to the symptoms. This is a concern to me as it happened one time when I needed to accelerate after cutting out into traffic.

Unfortunately, this is one of those problems were you have to bring it back to the dealer several times before they can reproduce the problem.

BigLakeDMAX
07-15-2003, 12:17
Interesting that I'm not alone on this one. I'm heading out on a two-week, 1500 mile trip with the 5'er this week and am pretty sure I'll have it happen again. I'm actually going to see if I can reproduce it and narrow the parameters of what actually makes it happen. If I can do that, I can try to watch the tach to see if it is an actual engine stumble or if it's perhaps tranny related. That is if the tach responds quickly enough to show it.

I'm wondering if anyone else who has experienced this has any other engine problems? The only other one I have is a regular tapping sound from the right side, variable with RPM and loudest under slight load at 1300 - 1500 RPM. Tech says it's fuel system related as he can manipulate the sound by adjusting fuel pressure with his Tech II. Injectors test OK, although he says one is iffy.

Thanks for the continued replies and as soon as I learn anything more I'll pass it along.

ibelyea
07-15-2003, 21:28
I had it last summer (4-5 times) and thought that it might be a short in steering column. Dealer checked and couldn't find anything wrong. Reprogrammed the TCM and I have not had the problem since.

Bigwheel
07-16-2003, 17:01
BigLakeDmax:
If your going to be around Rogers, Maple Grove, Plymouth, New Hope area, it would be nice to see your truck with the 5'er hooked up, and you could test drive my truck to see if you could duplicate the same surge, hesitating. Drop me a e-mail, would be great to meep up with you. I'm going to pick-up a 30ft Hitchiker from by buddy after I get the tuck'under hitch installed next week, can't wait. Take it easy. :cool:

conradv
07-16-2003, 17:15
I've noticed that mine will be very touchy like that when driving across my none-too-level feld. At idle when I tap the pedal it will pause, then GO. It is almost embarrassing when someone is riding with me as I've driven trucks most of my life and it looks like I'm a goober when the truck "pulses". Well, maybe I am a goober anyway, but that's not the point...