PDA

View Full Version : Injectors??

jlars
06-28-2003, 08:26
Just curious...I noticed the last couple of times that I floored it I had greyish-brown smoke come out of exhaust, also some dark oily spots on tailgate. I thought of injectors and when I had my oil changed at dealer I talked to serv manager about it and he said that they could do some tests. He said that any warranty item over the 3 yr-36,000 mile has a $100 deductable charge. I have not heard of this. Any opinions on above...thanks

DinoMax
06-28-2003, 09:11
If you've got spots on the tailgate, chances are it is an injector problem :( If you have access to a predator, you can go to "live data" and check the balacing rates. Or, just take it to the dealer and let them check it out. Your injectors are under warranty to 100K, but your service manager was right. If you are over the 3/36, you will have to pay the $100. deductible. A small price to pay if even one injector needs replacing, as that is an expensive job. If they do find a problem, try to get them to replace ALL of them, or at least the 4 on the bank where the problem is. BTW, how many miles on your truck? Good Luck, DinoMax

mackin
06-28-2003, 09:12
Originally posted by jlars:
Just curious...I noticed the last couple of times that I floored it I had greyish-brown smoke come out of exhaust, also some dark oily spots on tailgate. I thought of injectors and when I had my oil changed at dealer I talked to serv manager about it and he said that they could do some tests. He said that any warranty item over the 3 yr-36,000 mile has a $100 deductable charge. I have not heard of this. Any opinions on above...thanks All system normal .....After all it is a oil burner .....
;)

The oily deposit is soot ....MMMMM Soot !!!!

3yr/36 "no" deductible .... After that the 100k on Engine and it's contents is or has a 100 Dead Washington's deductible .....

Carry on ...

Mac :D :D :D

jlars
06-28-2003, 09:18
I have 56,000 miles on truck. It is a 2001 and have had injection pump replaced at about 25,000 miles.

DinoMax
06-28-2003, 14:04
jlars, I'd have it checked just to be on the safe side, especially since you have had injection pump replaced in the past. No offense to mackin, but oil and/or fuel on the tailgate isnt just soot. I get puffs of black smoke when I get on the go pedal and Predator on the 85HP tune, but no "wet" residue anywhere, just smoke. There has been too many threads about fuel system problems as of late, and I would err on the side of caution in your case. That is what the warranty is for, so play it safe. Good Luck, DinoMax

mackin
06-28-2003, 14:15
DinoMax

No offense taken ....

I'll get wet soot on start up do to condensation ..... If he's, in my opinion,getting diesel fuel buiding up in droplets on his tailgate ,I would have to assume he'd have some run abilty problems ,in addition ....

Any ho get it checked to ease the mind .....

Mac smile.gif

Joe.G
06-28-2003, 16:38
Mackin, just looked at your truck, get that damned toolbox off your bed rails, it will crack your sheet metal. If you need a toolbox, mount it in the bed. Trust me, I have had this problem on 5 or 6 trucks, you can't see it until it appears out from under the toolbox on the side of the truck. There is too much flexing going on in this spot especially if the truck is hopped up which I suspect yours is.

Regards,
Joe.G

DMAX Daddy
06-28-2003, 17:18
Mac's truck isnt hopped up, it just goes by the nickname of "Frog" :D