PDA

View Full Version : "Sir, your turbo ate your air filter"

dmaxalliTech
03-12-2003, 19:35
Ok, I hate to bring dark light on our bright group, but I must pass along something that I have heard today. One of our porters has family that lives north of us. His hometown dealer( i think its near Silver Lake, MI) has a truck in with the airbox issues with water getting in. It turns out that water got in filter, froze and partially plugged up airway. cust noticed decreased power( from lack of air) and drove to dealer, As truck warmed air filter came apart and got sucked into turbo and distributed bits of turbo blade and air filter through out engine.... Might want to keep a close eye on your filters. I thought this to be very odd, but its true.

mackin
03-12-2003, 19:39
dmaxalliTech

Which model year??
Like to see it eat a Amsoil oily couch cushion !!!!!!

MAC :D :D :D

dmaxalliTech
03-12-2003, 19:42
It was an 01. Was running stock filter. Are any of you haveing problem with oiled filters and MAF, I really want to upgrade my induction, but am leary of MAF, JK says Amsoil is the way to go and I trust him 100%, what about a FIPK or AFS setup?

mackin
03-12-2003, 20:10
I drilled out my stock air box in the front and put some "drain" holes in the bottom......It still will collect some water in the honey comb in the bottom especially after I wash the truck.....Ran the Amsoil many miles (approx. 15,000) prior to cleaning (see more D/A PICS) ..... I have since put on a AFE setup (ditto on PICS) ...... When removing snorkel when installing AFE,the stock snorkel was squeaky clean right to the turbo inlet, while running stock box and Amsoil filter.....

The AFE Looks good, great turbo sound,it sounds sweet, could be a better engineered fit...Not sure of filter efficiency compared to Amsoil.....I will run some oil analysis this spring summer for safety sake......I wouldn't hesitate returning to Amsoil if I see a problem.....

I will use both according to the season ...... I didn't swap it out as I was going to, because I limited my exposure to sandy roads do to lack of driving do to current cost of diesel......I've used my crasher.....

But when I have, it pulls strong and ,right to the limiter Hot Juice no "visual" SES .... Same as with Amsoil when it was installed till I took it off......

MAC

Kennedy
03-12-2003, 20:11
Don't worry about fouling the MAF sensor. They are easily cleaned if need be...

Kent Tuttle
03-12-2003, 20:37
dmaxalliTech

No problems to date with the Amsoil filter in mine. I have cleaned it once since installing. The truck had 12K when installed and now has 30K. I would make the switch!

Bobcat698
03-12-2003, 21:12
I made a post on this a while back & no one believed me....

I guess the guy that told me about it wasn't bullshi**in guys!

Garrett

jbplock
03-13-2003, 07:02
Is it correct to assume that the 02/03's have a redesigned air box that prevents water from getting to the filter? :confused:

Dave_WB3FYV
03-13-2003, 11:22
Doesn't the air go from Airbox, to Turbo, then thru the Intercooler before getting in the the engine???
I can see replacing a turbo and intercooler, but damage to the motor guts should be nearly impossible with big chunks of metal and paper.

but that's just my opinion... :confused:

wakely
03-13-2003, 12:55
Can someone tell me what a MAF sensor is, what does it do, and where is it located (so I can find it on my truck)?

TIA, wakely :confused:

Cobra-R
03-13-2003, 13:26
Doesn't the air go from Airbox, to Turbo, then thru the Intercooler before getting in the the engine???
I can see replacing a turbo and intercooler, but damage to the motor guts should be nearly impossible with big chunks of metal and paper.

but that's just my opinion...

When pieces of a airfilter get run thru a turbo spinning 100,000 rpm, there is going to be no such thing as "big chunks" ;)

[ 03-13-2003: Message edited by: Cobra-R ]</p>

D-max Man
03-13-2003, 14:13
Wakley,

The MAF is a Mass Airflow Sensor. It is what the wiring harness plugs into at the air box. It measures air flow and sends that info to the computer which uses the info and other things like air temp., throttle position, gear position, barometric pressure and the like to determine the proper amount of fuel to give the engine.

All,

The 2001 models had a snorkel that drew air from inside the fender behind the headlight and drew it back behind the fender and down (where it was supposed to drop the water out at the bottom) and then back up to the air box. However the water was still sucked into the engine.
The fix for this was to remove the snorkel from the air box and block off the hole in the fender allowing the engine to draw air from under the hood.
The 2002 models could still get water into the air box because the new opening (Snorkel removed) was directly under the seam between the hood and the fender and water would run in when it was raining.
I don't know how GM addressed that issue or even if they have yet.
The engine has a great deal of suction at the air box and if the filter gets plugged (Iced over) it can suck the filter in. This is why GM went to 5 glue strips on their air filters (instead of the usual 3), because the filter was being sucked into the engine.

GMCTRUCK
03-13-2003, 15:54
I've noticed that ever since I drilled holes in my airbox lid that my air filter seems to stay alot cleaner alot longer. My MAF sure does get dirty fast though. I can't understand it. :eek: ;)

Disclaimer: For those not too savy, do not drill holes in your airbox lid.

sonofagun
03-13-2003, 17:41
GMCTRUCK

Your post says:
Disclaimer: For those not too savy, do not drill holes in your airbox lid.
Why please?

JK,

Your post says: Don't worry about fouling the MAF sensor. They are easily cleaned if need be...

How please?

Regards,
Bob

Budz
03-13-2003, 18:49
I have had experience with two different brands of oiled foam air filters deteriorating and getting ingested. Amsoil filter in a tractor fell apart after a few years. Had a TPSI foam filter in a Z-28 w/LS1. Engine went lame and idled rough, lost power over 2700 rpms. Again the foam filter degraded, MAF sensor caught some foam and started screwing up the air flow readings. I'll stick with paper or cotton thank you.

GMCTRUCK
03-13-2003, 20:16
Sorry for the confusion son of a gun, that post was meant as a joke. If you notice the airbox lid is after the air filter. Hence if I had actually drilled holes in the lid unfiltered air would be going into the engine.

sonofagun
03-14-2003, 16:13
GMC---

DUH ___ I should learn to read!

Regards,

Bob :D