PDA

View Full Version : Who has had a water pump replaced? Dmaxallitech.

Maverick
06-27-2003, 03:18
I got Dex-Cool leaking from the front of the motor. It looks to be closer to the driver side but close to the middle. Does the big black hose connect to the water pump at the bottom then route over to the passenger side? Looks like its leaking around the big black hose near the front of the engine. Sound like a water pump? Left it sit on new blacktop and it left a puddle about 2' x 2'.

Dmaxallitech,
Whats your estimate on parts and labor for the water pump.

2DAMAX
06-27-2003, 05:55
Their is a little weep hole,were coolant will leak when seal goes bad 2 inches directly behind and twords the rear of the lower radiator hose where the hose clamps .I just had mine done at 25k.Under warranty so I have no cost.

dmaxalliTech
06-27-2003, 08:45
our estimator shows 313.00, parts and labor.
1.3 is book time to replace

dmaxalliTech
06-27-2003, 08:46
WHOA,that cant be right, it pays 3.0 to replace under warr, better adjust that one. pump sells for about 180.00, probably about 4-5 hours to install customer pay time.

sdaver
06-27-2003, 12:47
water pump and orings at metal pipe warrrenty 3ok leaked since new

Maverick
06-27-2003, 14:57
Thanks guys.

Got an estimate today of $300 parts and labor. Sound ok to me.

Left it sit again today and it didn't drip a single drop :confused: . Doesn't make any sense.

dmaxalliTech
06-27-2003, 15:19
THATS CHEAP mav. make sure its oem parts of course

Maverick
06-27-2003, 15:54
He called the Chevy dealer down the road and got a price of $139 for the pump. They have one in stock too. The mechanic that works at this shop used to work on my truck when he was employed at the Chevy dealer. He worked on Duramaxes before so I trust him to do the job.

Its funny its not leaking today?

HotShot
06-27-2003, 19:05
Hey Maverick,

Your truck is just tellin ya its time for a flush tongue.gif

Your milage is usually close to mine, I had to do mine last week.

Its not that strange for a water pump to leak one but not the next, but one day it'll rain out faster than you can pour it in. Check the weep hole on the pump for a stain.

Maverick
06-27-2003, 20:09
Thanks for the tip.

I had all new coolant installed when they did my head gaskets around 85-90K.

I wouldn't think it would need to be changed yet.

BigLakeDMAX
06-29-2003, 19:04
My pump went at 6k, not a bad fix unless you count the eight days I had to wait for the new engine front cover that they cracked during the water pump r&r. Make sure they know the three bolts are different lengths and need to be marked so they go back into the holes in the same position. That and don't pry on anything. The front cover is aluminum and is a direct from Isuzu part which takes awhile to get.