PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about oil quality with Amsoil bypass filter

TPIJeep
06-26-2003, 20:25
I have been running an Amsoil bypass filter since 1000 miles.. this batch of oil has right at 3000 miles on it with a total of 4k on the truck, and it has a pretty good black tint to it.. I am going to run a sample on it next week to see whats up but I am not impressed.. There is no noticable diesel smell, check out the picture and let me know if this is normal.

Thanks,
http://www.tpijeep.com/P6260326.JPG

Captain Mal
06-26-2003, 20:32
That looks like all the oil I have drained out of my Duramax for the last 140,000 miles. I think it's 'normal' for the mileage. Mine stays clear for about 2,000 miles and then changes to what you show. At around 5,000 miles it still looks the same.

TPIJeep
06-26-2003, 20:34
Mal,

Are you running a bypass oil filter?

Thanks

jbplock
06-27-2003, 02:49
Check out this ongoing Filter Test. (http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000513;p=5) The guys at BobIsTheOilGuy recently tested the Dual Remote Filter along with a number of other full flow filters.

FWIW this is a picture of oil on the dipstick (http://community.webshots.com/photo/65003591/74166883ZQtfsc) at 3kmiles with the OilGuard. The dip stick still looked the same when I changed it recently at 4400 miles. When drained the oil had a slight black tint, but not as much as the picture shown above. However, the miles on this oil were with unloaded highway driving.
smile.gif

[ 06-27-2003, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: jbplock ]

TPIJeep
06-27-2003, 06:16
jb,

That is the color I expected the oil to be but I was shocked when I pulled that sample. I haven't had a trailer behind the truck yet so most of that is unloaded highway with some city driving.. I run a single Amsoil bypass filter with the OEM full flow still in place..

Could the color be caused by blowby because the engine is not fully broken in?

Here is my filter setup..

http://www.tpijeep.com/P5150188.JPG

The rest of the install pictures are at this page.. (http://www.tpijeep.com/dmax.htm)

OC_DMAX
06-27-2003, 06:27
I would think your pictures show normal diesel soot suspended in the oil. If I remember correctly, the majority of soot is sub-micron in size, so a bypass filter will not remove too much of it.

DalDMax
06-27-2003, 06:44
Don't think I've ever seen used (3000-5000 mile) diesel oil that's been anywhere near as clean or clear as when it went in. You should see what happens to the oil on a older Ford Diesel in a very short time. :eek:

KenZ
06-27-2003, 08:10
TPIJeep,

Looking at your pictures, I couldn't quite tell where you mounted your bypass filter. Where did you get it to fit.

Looks like you had an older bypass setup? I don't think they use the black filters anymore and the new setup has the connections where the full flow filter screws on. Maybe the newer filters do a little better job. You did a nice job on the installation.

I would think you could take the oil cap off and see how much oil is flowing through the bypass and what it looks like. After reading the other thread from bobistheoilguy I would be interested in knowing what flow you were getting and what it looked like when returning to the oil. Once it is mixed I would think it would be black, but coming right out of the bypass, maybe its cleaner looking.

Thanks,

Ken

TPIJeep
06-27-2003, 09:01
KenZ,

I did not want to run the dual remote Amsoil setup so I just got the filter boss and the BE100 filter, it is a 1/2 micron setup and is only a month old. The filter is mounted on the frame rail near the factory oil filter just above the torsion bar.

I pulled my sample from the oil cap with the engine running, I would guess to say it pumped 4 oz in say 7-10 seconds, didn't time it but it was a nice little stream flowing..

I contacted the company who is doing my sample and I should know whats up in a few days!

chuntag95
06-27-2003, 10:11
That was too much reading Bill. Most of it was confounded. They need to fix the pressure or fix the volume of flow. The bypass elements are much larger than the one they are using in the filter test alone. The pressure drop from the dual bypass is because you have a parallel path and a larger filter area. That's it and nothing more assuming the bypass in the filter itself is not opening. You can reduce the restriction by pulling the spring and ball, but it will still be lower than just a full flow and you reduce the filtering efficiency, but not to the point of just a full flow alone. I can show the flow formulas if you would like. The references to a paralell resistive circuit we dead on. Okay, off the box. :rolleyes:

TPI Jeep,
I run a dual bypass and have the same color oil as you. After my last change, it seemed like my oil discolored faster than normal, but I think I didn't get the last dirty quart out. The Fumoto raises the level at which it stops draining. I will run a clean quart through next time and change both filters. I only changed the full flow everytime and the bypass every other. I can say that when I put the dual remote on the wife's gasser that the oil got visibly cleaner. :D I didn't change the oil, just added the bypass. All of my samples have tested good on both vehicles.

Now, the interesting thing would be how many of the bypass elements would you have to put in parallel to get the restriction down to what a full flow element give you. I have 3 fuel filters all in a row with each one getting larger in size and filtering to a smaller size. Same would go for the oil. Hmmmmmmm now where could I put that contraption. Go into a full flow to get the chunky stuff and then in series go into a bank of 3 or 4 bypass filters in paralell. John, I got an idea for a new product. :D

Joe.G
06-27-2003, 17:04
Even on a gas truck it won't make it clear and pretty but it will pass an oil purity test. Been there and done that.

chuntag95
06-27-2003, 17:40
Hey Joe,
Are you saying you have good experiences with analysis of a bypass system or did you have a problem the analysis did not catch. Just want to be sure I understand since it depends on how my mind reads it on if it's a positive or negative statement.
Chris

a bear
06-27-2003, 18:22
Motor oils contain dispersant to keep soot particles separated and suspended. A bypass filter will not catch these particles unless they agglomerate or reside in the 1/2 to 1 micron range. Although diesel engine oil tends to discolor due to the sub-micron soot particles which get by filters, these small particles cause very little wear due to the smallest engine clearances of about 5-10 microns. By keeping your oil filtered to the 1/2 to 1 micron range you are greatly extending the life of your engine reguardless of oil color. The bypass filters also free up additives to allow the oil to do its job better.
If anyone is interested I have before and after oil analysis results that shows a definite additive pack improvement after the bypass filter install using the same oil at the same interval.

Joe.G
06-28-2003, 15:39
a bear is right, the synthetic oils will last over 100,000 miles if not contaminated by antifreeze or silicon (dirt), color doesn't mean anything. As a matter of fact if the oil doesn't get dark it's not keeping the engine clean.

2001 2500HD Dmax/Alli w/92000 carefree miles
on Juice and Banks
2003 Silverado SS (TOY)Dmax will smoke this baby, but it sure is pretty.

Kennedy
06-30-2003, 08:30
Soot is particularly hard to catch as it can "agglomerate" into larger sizes, but then dispers when you try to catch it. Kinda like oil on a bucket of water and trying to skim it with a minnow dipper.

The trick is to actually ABSORB this soot, which most filters cannot do.

Here again, the oil will always darken, especially if you work it hard, but the key is in the analysis. Keep in mind though, that conventional analysis will only show the SMALL particles, and not the large clumps...

hoot
06-30-2003, 09:25
Isn't soot "carbon" and isn't carbon a lubricant?

chuntag95
07-01-2003, 08:27
Okay Hoot, I'll step out on the limb here. It has been over 10 years since I studied this, so here is what I remember. Yes, soot is carbon, however, so is a diamond. There are several different forms of carbon and the lubricant is called colloidial (SP?) graphite. I do not know what form soot is, but I will bet it's not the one you would want knowing Mr. Murphy. Particle size, is it crystaline or amorphus, etc. all play a roll.

Now, for anyone with more info or a better memory, please speak up. I will bet no money on this answer, but think I am at least in the ballpark.

Kennedy
07-01-2003, 12:43
Abrasive...

hoot
07-01-2003, 14:02
I wasn't sure guys. It's amazing how the same element can be a lubricant or an abrasive depending on it's form.