PDA

View Full Version : DMax Remote Oil Filter options by Perma-Cool

TraceF
03-12-2003, 13:11
Has anyone relocated the oil filter?

I tore one apart last night removing it (the angle is nightmarish) and I have located a spin on plate and single or double filter head pretty economically through a company called Perma-Cool.

All I would need to do is have quality hoses made up and I would use the Baldwin Duramax filter.

Has the forum addressed problems with this idea?

jbplock
03-12-2003, 13:26
I looked into remote adapters when searching for a bypass filter solution. My main concern with them was that the small size of the oil passages would limit oil flow. I was also concerned that the gasket would not standup to the high Duramax oil pressure.
I haven't had trouble getting the filters off (much easier to get to than my 98 4WD). What kind of oil filter wrench are you using? I have KD metal strap wrench that works well. I also use a little Teflon lube on the gasket.
smile.gif

TraceF
03-12-2003, 13:47
I am using a NAPA 2" wide nylon strap wrench. It grips great. The problem is that the 1 and 1/4 turns past contact makes the damm thing as tight as the factory fill filter. Last night I torqued on the filter until it crushed, literally.

The Perma-Cool head uses a 1/2" NPT fitting. I figure I would have less than 3 feet of hose going to and back.

mdrag
03-12-2003, 14:06
TraceF,

I would back off to 1 turn after gasket contact when installing a new oil filter. I checked with a torque wrench and the factory torque spec agreed with one turn (on my truck).

IIRC, my Bladwin B1441 oil filter shows 1 turn on the little pictures on the filter case...I haven't seen any leaks either with 1 turn.

IMHO, I would try the '1 turn' first before relocating.

TraceF
03-12-2003, 14:14
Thanks- I'll try. I was worried about the pressure so was going the distance.

johnpugh
03-12-2003, 14:15
I really hate the self-tightening DMax filter.

I talked to my very knowledgable service person and is response is that it is not the inital tightening of the filter that causes the problem, its the 'swell' of the filter as it is exposed to the DMax oil pressures. Kinda sounds crazy to me, but this guy is good.

Later

jbplock
03-12-2003, 14:28
Trace,

What mdrag said ... 1 turn gets the filter tight. You might also try a different filter wrench. I have a nylon strap wrench that has a heavy square tube with a 1/2inch drive that tends to dent the filter. It's ok for removing a filter but I wouldn't use it to tighten a new one. I think the best filter wrench is one with a metal band and a socket drive.

JMPDMax,
What your service guy said makes sense. The last time I changed my filter I noticed the gasket was swollen where it overlaps the sealing surface on the filter adapter.
smile.gif

[ 03-12-2003: Message edited by: jbplock ]</p>

drgracr
03-12-2003, 19:53
I use the seatbelt style strap wrench on mine aswell as those big ugly filters on the psd
works great for removal and installing the filters with no damage,
Not sure if this is what is being referred to as a nylon strap or not?
As for the remote filter, I'm going to have to get into the book and look. Putting one on the race car. Oil filter wrapped up inside of the headers, make a big mess :mad: :mad: :mad:
Just a though for the oil pressure lines for higher pressure, what about the aeroquip steel braided hose with the fancy fittings. We use them on a blown 572

Jelisfc
03-13-2003, 09:30
I don't see all the fuss over oil pressure. My 454 had a high volume high pressure pump. 110 psi at idle, I ran standard AC filters, and only hand tightened them. I will say if you remote mount be safe and use good quality hydraulic hose.

a bear
03-13-2003, 10:24
Why install a remote full flow filter? Can't get a much better location than where it's at now. If it's so hard to loosen don't put it so tight. :eek:

NWDmax
03-13-2003, 10:51
I crank the filter on as tight as I can get it by hand.Thats about 1 turn after gasket touchs and no oil leaks.I'm using Delo 15w-40 and no problems at all.I use a regular channel lock style filter wrench for removal and no sweat.
Blake smile.gif

FirstDiesel
03-13-2003, 17:19
Wait and you'll see. I removed my factory filter and thought everyone was nuts, it came right off. The next oil change the filter I installed came right off and the same the next time. The last time!!!!! Took me an hourt of pulling on the thing to get it off. Same filter, same install proceedure by the same person, ME! The things have a m ind of their own!!

Jelisfc
03-14-2003, 08:25
FirstDiesel, With the filter parallel to the crank I can see how vibration/harmonics in the engine could over time tighten the filter. If you compare the engine rotation to the rotation of tighening the filter it's like two gears meshed. Continuous vibration in the same direction would tighten the filter. I've seen stranger things happen. At least it's righty tighty not lefty loosey smile.gif smile.gif