PDA

View Full Version : Question for dmaxalliTech, Maverick

JERMCK
06-26-2003, 15:37
Spoke with the service dept rep today and he stated GM has the Tech putting dye in the truck to figure out which head gasket is blown. Is there any way I can get them to replace both gaskets. Seems to me there is a good chance I could have the same issue on both sides.

Maverick
06-26-2003, 16:42
My dealer put dye in mine also. Used the black light to check for external leaks. My passenger side was leaking (very small) down the front of the block.

If the leak is internal like my driver side was, like Alli-max, and a few others here, there is no way of telling which gasket has the leak. Maybe Dmaxallitech has a way but it seems impossible.

My dealer made the mistake of not changing both at the same time the first time. They found the external leak on the passenger side and replaced this gasket and put it together. The dealer should have figured out if it was external the cooling system wouldn't have pressurized. My system did pressurize and so they should have pulled both sides anyway.

Thats what the end result was.

[ 06-26-2003, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Maverick ]

JERMCK
06-26-2003, 17:39
Thanks for the info Maverick. I've never said it before but it is just awesome being a member of this board and having all of you guys for backup. Thanks

dmaxalliTech
06-26-2003, 20:29
I am with Maverick on this one, The dye will help see external leaks, but I dont know how you could see internal leaks. As far as getting them to do both, Gm dont want to pay to fix what isnt broke most of the time. I would politly encourage the dealer to do both because your concerned smile.gif As far as determining which side is bad,, depending on where it failed, you could remove the glow plugs and pressurize the cyls one at a time and see if and when you get bubbles in recovery tank.

JERMCK
06-27-2003, 22:41
dmaxalliTech,

I went to the dealership today and spoke with the tech. He had dye in the truck. Was not showing anything. He stated GM was requiring him to pull the glow plugs and pressurize the cyl as you talked about. He stated he was replacing both head gaskets regardless. Right now he is just jumping through GM's hoops. He stated he was going to repair the truck as if it belonged to him. Made me feel alot better anyway.

dmaxalliTech
06-28-2003, 07:10
Jer, sometimes you have to play the politics game, Its good to see you have a tech on your side. GM dont like to do anything thay dont have too.