PDA

View Full Version : UNI Foam Air Filter

jbplock
06-26-2003, 05:06
Anyone using these ?

Uni High Performance Air Filters (http://www.Unifilter.com/performance-facts.htm)

Uni Filter for Duramax (http://www.Unifilter.com/truck_applications.htm)

Looks similar to the Amsoil Foam Filter.

Kennedy
06-26-2003, 07:53
Hmmm, I've been hoping something like this would come along...

c5dura
06-26-2003, 08:10
I see that there are references to Fram part numbers (CA8038 for the Duramax). Does this mean I can go to my local autoparts store and pick up one of these?

Btw, I didn't see a way to order these directly from the web site listed.

kraemerf
06-26-2003, 10:41
UNI has been making filters in the dirt bike industry for a long time.

ibelyea
06-26-2003, 10:56
To order go to home page and select the icon with the young lady and jacket. Select Chevy and it is a walk thru.

c5dura
06-26-2003, 12:23
I went ahead and called them up and ordered one along w/ the oiling/cleaning kit (since it wasn't available online). I also pointed out that they should change the years listed for the Duramax filter from 2000 to 2001-2003. She said it would be 2 weeks before they start shipping the UAA-111's and that she would tell their webmaster about the typo on the web page.

If anyone wants a K&N Aircharger with a muddy filter element, let me know. ;)

http://www.cstone.net/~dk/K&N%20Filter%20Outside.jpg

http://www.cstone.net/~dk/K&N%20Filter%20Inside.jpg

[ 06-26-2003, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: c5dura ]

56Nomad
06-26-2003, 12:49
c5dura,

I've never seen so much stuff...... inside
a filter. How long did you have it on your
truck before changing :eek:

BMDMAX
06-26-2003, 13:15
It was on "only" a few hours in a ditch full of muddy water...... :rolleyes:

c5dura
06-26-2003, 13:17
BMDMAX is correct, I slid into a ditch w/ a couple of feet of mud/water in the bottom of it. I tried to reverse back out to no avail (I gave up after "only" 1 hour). Also keep in mind the truck was sitting at a 45 degree angle. Needles to say, I went back to the stock housing/filter after than episode. Under normal circumstances, I don't think a K&N would get that dirtly, but its kinda scary to think what can happen if you get stuck.

Fortunately I don't believe the mud ever made it into the engine, although it did make it through the turbo and partially into the intercooler as you can see from these couple of pics:

http://www.cstone.net/~dk/K&N%20Tube%20Filter%20End.jpg

http://www.cstone.net/~dk/K&N%20Tube%20Turbo%20End.jpg

[ 06-26-2003, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: c5dura ]

mackin
06-26-2003, 13:39
Should of had a Outer Wrap on it..... They repell water .... tongue.gif

Mac :D :D :D

LanduytG
06-26-2003, 14:20
Should of had a Outer Wrap on it..... They repell water Right they repell water. I suggest you try it and see what happens. I did a lot of testing last summer and foam does NOT repell water. The best air filter for protection against short burst of water is the paper filter. But once it get soaked it fulls righ on through just like the foam. And foam tested was all types and yes even the Amsoil filter, and they all pass water.

Greg

mackin
06-26-2003, 14:37
Originally posted by LanduytG:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Should of had a Outer Wrap on it..... They repell water Right they repell water. I suggest you try it and see what happens. I did a lot of testing last summer and foam does NOT repell water. The best air filter for protection against short burst of water is the paper filter. But once it get soaked it fulls righ on through just like the foam. And foam tested was all types and yes even the Amsoil filter, and they all pass water.

Greg </font>[/QUOTE]Guess I should have been more specific .....That would be a NYLON wrap..... I have hit mine with a hose ...Rolls off like water on a ducks back .... I'll bet the oily Couch Cushion if dropped into a bucket of water would near suck it dry,super absorbent .... tongue.gif

Hey I like the Stage II Oily Couch Cushion .... We can be realistic and assume almost all might fail under submersion into water for over an hour ...Just a tad over what it is designed for ,ya think ?? Even swamp buggies have air stacks....

Mac :D :D :D

[ 06-26-2003, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: mackin ]

Kennedy
06-27-2003, 10:22
Originally posted by ibelyea:
To order go to home page and select the icon with the young lady and jacket. Select Chevy and it is a walk thru. Except for the fact that they likely have the wrong part number listed...

WhiteDuramax
06-29-2003, 17:24
c5dura, Send me an email about the K&N if you want to get rid of it. chevrolet942500@hotmail.com

c5dura
07-14-2003, 07:42
Originally posted by kennedy:
Except for the fact that they likely have the wrong part number listed...Kennedy, you hit the nail on the head. Got my filter today and its a big round one as opposed to a flat rectangular one. No way this one will fit in the stock airbox.

It does say UAA-111 2000 Dura Max on the package, but obviously this filter is not for a Duramax.

I'll give them a call when they wake up over there on the left coast to see what's up.

WhiteDuramax, I'll likely hold on to the K&N for the time being until I'm done playing with various intake options but will keep you in mind if I decide to get rid of it.

Kennedy
07-14-2003, 08:08
I got my samples last week, and they are NICE!

Working up an order as we speak so as soon as my account is set up...

george morrison
07-14-2003, 08:37
C5Dura. I would highly suggest you change your engine oil as soon as possible and while doing so capture an oil sample for analysis. If the dirt got to the turbo, some level may well have found its way into the engine/oil. You need to "know" if it did or not; irrespective, an oil change, immediately...
George

mackin
07-14-2003, 11:26
Originally posted by kennedy:
I got my samples last week, and they are NICE!

Working up an order as we speak so as soon as my account is set up... Any open face elements or all enclosure ?? Just thought I'd ask .... Would be nice to see a Foam Open Element ....

Mac http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

Kennedy
07-14-2003, 12:28
There are SOME open cone type, I just haven't looked that close to see the sizes.

These filters are VERY well built and look like a complete part rather than a combination of 4 pieces glued together. The metal screen is very open , the molded surround is excellent, but not excessive so as to block air flow, and the first stage completely covers the second stage.

c5dura
07-14-2003, 12:36
George, I did take an oil sample as soon as I got the truck back when I changed the oil. Never got around to sending it in though, but I'll go ahead and do that this week. I think I got the kit from you. My sample doesn't 'go bad' from sitting in the shiping jar for too long, does it?

Kennedy, can you confirm that the proper element for the Duramax is UAA-103 (same one used on the 5.3 and 6.0 gasser)? That's what Tom just told me when I spoke to him, but I wanted to make sure before sending my current one back.

C5dura

Kennedy
07-14-2003, 18:33
Yes, I sent him an email to that effect this AM.

ibelyea
07-14-2003, 19:14
My filter arrived the other day and I concur that it will not work on a duramax. I am also sending them a n email that the product is not a valid duramax replacement filter.

george morrison
07-14-2003, 20:04
No, the sample will not 'go bad' just sitting in the bottle. I am soooo glad you captured a sample! I look forward to reviewing the results with you... Hopefully all is well and the dirt/mud/contaminants did not make it past the turbo..
The oil analysis will give you 'the rest of the story'.
George

ibelyea
07-15-2003, 21:17
Got very quick response from Uni-Filter and they do have the rectangular filter in stock (UAA-103). Requested that I ship the cannister unit back and they will replace it along with a free filter cleaning kit. I'll let you know when I get the new filter.

pinehill
07-15-2003, 23:54
Does the Uni element appear to be "better" in any way than the Amsoil?