PDA

View Full Version : Duramax Dex Cool

TooMuchMuscle
06-24-2003, 11:09
Whats wrong with the pink stuff. I hear lots of people talking about how bad it is and how not to use it...

"dont mix it with the green stuff, it will gell."
is this true... Please help

Aggie '91
06-24-2003, 22:48
Yes, Please do tell. I have heard numerous statments refering to Dex Cool contributing to head gasket failures & I would like to know what the consensus is myself? :confused:

Also, I assume the the reference to "the green" is a refernce to Prestone anti-freeze? Would it be advisable to flush the coolant in the D-Max and replace with another coolant? :confused:

mackin
06-25-2003, 04:34
I be search'in Boss .... tongue.gif

=>Dex-cool (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005883#000000)

Mac :D :D :D

george morrison
06-25-2003, 07:15
As previously mentioned, there is a class action lawsuit that has been filed against GM/Dexcool, and damages caused with certain GM vehicles (predominantly Blazer, Jimmy and Bravada).
Additionally, I have been through more large over the road truck engine teardowns caused by ELC than I care to think about.. Cummins would not honor engine warranty for trucks using Texaco Long Life (or rebranded variants, which is all Long Life) for several years. The Acid technology caused silicon seals to deteriorate, causing anti-freeze contamination of the engine oil, etc..
George

More Power
06-25-2003, 15:34
GM made the switch to the new orange colored organic acid based coolant (Texaco/Havoline Dex-Cool) in the late 1995 model year due to it's longer service cycle, longer water pump seal life, and a higher coefficient of heat transfer. This new coolant came with a 100,000 mile service cycle when originally introduced. Shortly thereafter, GM upped the cycle to 150,000 miles because coolant degradation and loss of additives were not a problem. Texaco/Havoline begun recommending the average cycle life of this new orange coolant be increased to 250,000 miles and beyond in certain situations. For all practical purposes, properly installing an organic acid based coolant is a "lifetime" service procedure, and won't require a routine flush for as long as you own your GM diesel. Longer seal life could also mean your water pump could last for as long as you own your GM diesel.

GM does not recommend installing an organic acid based coolant in systems with a copper/brass radiator because of a possible problem with lead corrosion. However, Prestone says their tests (and our own long-term tests with Texaco/Havoline Dex-Cool and copper/brass radiators) have shown no problem with lead corrosion, and recommends the use of their organic acid based coolant in either copper/brass or aluminum systems. Our own tests with Texaco/Havoline Dex-Cool and copper brass radiators have shown no internal cooling system deterioration in nearly 120,000 miles (6.5TD).

Switching to an organic acid based coolant (orange dye) requires a thorough system flush to remove all traces of the original silicated ethylene glycol coolant (yellow/green dye). These two coolants are somewhat compatible, in that you won't damage your engine or cooling system with a mix, but a mix will shorten the service cycle to that of silicated ethylene glycol.

As mentioned in an earlier forum thread, an air/coolant interface could begin a corrosion problem in certain situations. Not coincidentally, GM incorporated an air-bleed screw in the 6.5L & Duramax 6600 thermostat housing. This provides a means to vent air from the cooling system. And, the coolant surge tank system is also designed to remove air from the system. So, unless there is some sort of engine or cooling system failure, there should never be an air/coolant interface in your 6.5 or Duramax cooling system.

Texaco/Havoline Dex-Cool has been highly successful in the various GM products. Just as some here have become overly concerned about fuel filtration, air in fuel, and other issues, this coolant issue is not something most of us will ever need to be concerned about.

MP

TooMuchMuscle
06-25-2003, 17:41
MP... thanks for the response... but will it hurt if I switch over to the green stuff... greens been working in all my trucks since day one... Thanks again