PDA

View Full Version : CT Duramax 6600 Dyno Day

GMCTRUCK
06-22-2003, 18:17
First of all thanks to Eric at Unlimited Motorsports and Gearhead for putting this together. Eric the shop owner is the nicest guy in the world and he couldn't have been more accomodating. Actually made us feel like his shop was our shop.(I think we even sold him on a Dmax). Overall great shop and a great time. Got to put some more members faces to names and even some non-member Duramaxers showed up. One 02 7.3 6 speed Ford was there and the owner was shocked at the #s we were putting down. He had run previously and with the 70HP Superchip program he ran 286HP. Anyhow, my truck ran a 263HP/472lb-ft stock, level 4 my TST: 423HP/766lb-ft and level 7: 443HP, 947lb-ft unstacked, #2 only, on a stock clutch'd 6 speed. Tried some level 8 and 9 runs but, ran through the dyno so fast the truck didn't have time to build enough boost for good #s. So instead of pushing my luck (clutch) we unstrapped it and made room for the next truck. Most Hot Juice trucks were in the 370-380HP range with torque in the mid 700s?. One tripple stacked truck made it to 435HP and high 700s for torque. Some of the Allisons seemed alittle more snug than others while some wouldn't put down much over 380HP no matter what combo was run. Just of blast of a day. Thanks guys. BTW :D

[ 06-23-2003, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: GMCTRUCK ]

mackin
06-22-2003, 19:30
You rule brother ,for now ..... http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

What a awesome day it was .......

Mac ;)

[ 06-24-2003, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: mackin ]

big dipper
06-22-2003, 19:51
I guess it is safe to say you didn't try the TST on an auto?

435 out of Hot OJ, propane (assuming), and a pressure VA or Predator?

Your tranny must be baked, I really expected better. In all honesty, I didn't make the drive because I thought I didn't have anything for ya....

George

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-22-2003, 19:57
Originally posted by mackin:
You rule brother ,for now ..... http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

What a assume day it was .......

Mac ;) What a day,

Eric is the best and can't say any more about Gearhead for setting us up. :D :D

Anyway, learned alot about stacking and pulling numbers on a dyno.......Mac has the know, just waiting to get the how thru his ALLISON :eek:

Put down some good numbers myself....

Stock baseline was 249HP/422 lb-ft.

HOT Juice yielded a solid 387HP/721lb-ft.

HOT JUICE stacked with Predator 40 Tow - 408HP/742 lb-ft.

HOT JUICE stacked with Predator 60HP Tune - 412HP/755lb-ft

HOT JUICE stacked with Predator 40 Tow with a borrowed BD reflashed VA box - 435HP/774lb-ft.

All runs on #2 ONLY smile.gif Wonder what was lost turning that Allison over ?????

EGT's never went over 1200 degrees thanks to DA BANK's.

AFE and other MODS are coming, gotta catch GMCTRUCKS Handshaker.

GMC ;)
PIC (http://community.webshots.com/photo/78047091/78048260ErNxEt)

[ 06-24-2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]

mackin
06-22-2003, 20:25
[QUOTE]Originally posted by big dipper:
I guess it is safe to say you didn't try the TST on an auto?

435 out of Hot OJ, propane (assuming), and a pressure VA or Predator?

Your tranny must be baked, I really expected better. In all honesty, I didn't make the drive because I thought I didn't have anything for ya....

George [/QUOT

There was a TST auto there ... His choice to report his numbers .....
Trannys well used showed up on the dyno ,no doubt ......There was two of us ..... ;) Would you replace something in perfect order,running condition ?? Don't dam the test pilots .....If it weren't for us ,you'd have to do it .....

Mac
;)

king D
06-22-2003, 20:29
hey mack you ready for that tranny

mackin
06-22-2003, 20:37
Originally posted by king D:
hey mack you ready for that tranny If I had one today I'd be at the roman numerical "D",or very close to it, I truely believe ...... I have NO complaints with the Allison,very soild auto stock competitor in HP wars ...... Truly a winner ..... Not a rubberband out there would take this abuse ....

Mac
;)

[ 06-22-2003, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: mackin ]

heartbeatcanada
06-22-2003, 20:45
GMC2002DMAX

Howd ya like the black smoke when stacked :eek: :eek: What dyno did you guys run on. Those were the #s i was looking for Friday night. Oh well at least i know there was somethin up with the machine i ran on :mad: Good showing by all so far. Later smile.gif

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-22-2003, 20:50
Originally posted by heartbeatcanada:
GMC2002DMAX

Howd ya like the black smoke when stacked :eek: :eek: What dyno did you guys run on. Those were the #s i was looking for Friday night. Oh well at least i know there was somethin up with the machine i ran on :mad: Good showing by all so far. Later smile.gif If you want to see smoke click on the link for Duramax PICS

DYNO WAS A DYNOJET - WinPEP

Brandy NEW, Sweeeeeet!!!!

GMC :D

[ 06-22-2003, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]

heartbeatcanada
06-22-2003, 20:57
Ya thats what i'm talkin about. Wonder why the coolers are on the other side of the door :confused: Later :D

big dipper
06-22-2003, 21:03
"If it weren't for us ,you'd have to do it ....."

Been there already, now it is someone else's turn..

mackin
06-22-2003, 21:23
Originally posted by big dipper:
"If it weren't for us ,you'd have to do it ....."

Been there already, now it is someone else's turn.. I know a mear jester a lil poke ... ;) Did you ever opt for stage 2 ??

Mac

big dipper
06-22-2003, 21:30
Not yet....jury is still out.

No harm done.

Options are a little differnt for me as I am already in the hole.....if you know what I mean. I can't exactly have mixed matched components in the box and expect someone to pony up if it takes a dive.

George

big dipper
06-22-2003, 21:32
Toddster is probably watching this and laughing......

I can't wait any longer, 4:30 comes early. Thanks for making tomorrow a long day! ;)

mackin
06-23-2003, 04:34
[QUOTE]Originally posted by big dipper:
Toddster is probably watching this and laughing......

I can't wait any longer, 4:30 comes early. Thanks for making tomorrow a long day! ;) [/QUOT

Yup he's watching ..... Oh Cupcake where are you,where foroutho is Cupcake ????
Were in the same boat .... We got it just can't do nothing with it,yet .....Plus we drive our Allisons like real men everyday ..... ;)

Mac
:eek: :eek: :eek:

GMCTRUCK
06-23-2003, 07:36
Hey guys, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts....you know the rest. Don't forget this Cat was unstacked and no drugs. I could have been brave enough to get back on and let Eric use more of the dyno's brake (than we had tried earlier) to build some more boost in level 9 or borrowed someone else's pressure box (but that don't count)but since the next closest truck for HP was 8hp shy and the closest truck for torque was 147lb-ft shy I figured why bother. tongue.gif Just for experiment sake we made 2 runs with the same truck 1 with stock airbox and 1 with the AFE Stage 2 and gained nothing with the AFE. If anything the AFE might help on the street but, no combinations of stock or modified airboxes and filters or aftermarket intakes made any difference on the dyno.

[ 06-23-2003, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: GMCTRUCK ]

mackin
06-23-2003, 09:28
Hey I rung only what I brung too ....Easily duplicated today ... Nothing borrowed,nothing old ....
You get the drill....We know where the TST numbers and Allison stand ....
Mac tongue.gif

Kennedy
06-23-2003, 10:05
[/qb][/QUOTE]What a day,

Put down some good numbers myself....

Stock baseline was 249HP/422 lb-ft.

HOT Juice yielded a solid 387HP/721lb-ft.

HOT JUICE stacked with Predator 40 Tow - 408HP/742 lb-ft.

HOT JUICE stacked with Predator 60HP Tune - 412HP/755lb-ft

HOT JUICE stacked with Predator 40 Tow with a borrowed BD reflashed VA box - 435HP/774lb-ft.

All runs on #2 ONLY smile.gif Wonder what was lost turning that Allison over ?????

EGT's never went over 1200 degrees thanks to DA BANK's.

AFE and other MODS are coming, gotta catch GMCTRUCKS Handshaker.

GMC ;)

PIC (http://community.webshots.com/photo/78047091/78048260ErNxEt) [/QB][/QUOTE]

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-23-2003, 11:17
JK,

Thanks for the advise. I found that my truck with the Predator 40HP tow tune and the HOT Juice makes a nice stacker combo.

A little did go alog way IMHO.

Jesse's GMC put down some serious torque and HP numbers. I am curious how you are topping a Handshaker for HP and why your torque isn't listed in your SIG.

How about letting me know what you are running, or is it a well guarded secret ???

GMC ;)

big dipper
06-23-2003, 15:05
"if ifs and buts were candy and nuts" ....what the

No doubt the hand shaker will put down good numbers, but let me see you yank that stick faster than my A and B Trim solenoids can fire. See ya in the rear-view....

Still waiting on the auto with TST...

Sounds like it was a blast, won't miss the next one. Besides, Mackin owes me 12.

George

mackin
06-23-2003, 15:27
Hey guys, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts....Cupcake wish he had some guts ???

Tony is a putts??

We're really all a bunch of Mutts ??

The GM IF's get stuck in rutts ??

I give up ....

Mac :rolleyes:

GMCTRUCK
06-23-2003, 15:39
....it'd be a Merry Christmas. I can't be the only one that's heard that one.

chuntag95
06-23-2003, 15:44
I thought it was "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, it would be Christmas everyday." My mother would tack on "and rotten teeth." :rolleyes:

GMCTRUCK
06-23-2003, 16:01
Originally posted by chuntag95:
I thought it was "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, it would be Christmas everyday." My mother would tack on "and rotten teeth." :rolleyes: That works too. Oooo man I feel like I'm wearing a bullseye on my back now. Glad I didn't clear my table and left something for next time. ;) Although that last tripple stacked run almost forced me to get back on the dyno. Almost.

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-23-2003, 17:58
Originally posted by GMCTRUCK:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by chuntag95:
I thought it was "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, it would be Christmas everyday." My mother would tack on "and rotten teeth." :rolleyes: That works too. Oooo man I feel like I'm wearing a bullseye on my back now. Glad I didn't clear my table and left something for next time. ;) Although that last tripple stacked run almost forced me to get back on the dyno. Almost. </font>[/QUOTE]All I needed was Cupcakes VA box and some drugs(Liquid grilling Fuel) and maybe the handshaker would have to take a second ride on the wheels. :eek: :eek: .,

I may be using a few thousand more miles on my 3yr/36K warranty, Suncoast is 452 miles from the inlaws or outlaws depending on you, maybe I'll put 5 roundtrip Tic's towards a little Holding Power for the ALLI.

See what happens, maybe I need a little LP for my craving tongue.gif tongue.gif :eek:

GMC :D

mackin
06-23-2003, 19:28
Need a list of Diesel Page Members Names and screen names and truck discription that attended .....
Thanks, for Joe (Geerrhead Tech II operator) ..... I was suppose to do it Sunday ,OOPS ....You can Email me if you would like ....

Mac

sdaver
06-24-2003, 07:13
I would welcome a stopover at my house for a break for any of you east coast guys. Im 4.5 hrs from suncoast......dave

Kennedy
06-24-2003, 10:12
Originally posted by GMC-2002-Dmax:
JK,

Thanks for the advise. I found that my truck with the Predator 40HP tow tune and the HOT Juice makes a nice stacker combo.

A little did go alog way IMHO.

Jesse's GMC put down some serious torque and HP numbers. I am curious how you are topping a Handshaker for HP and why your torque isn't listed in your SIG.

How about letting me know what you are running, or is it a well guarded secret ???

GMC ;) Dunno how you guys measured TQ. When we ran the dyno shootout, it showed 1200+, but that is bogus. 840's is more like it.

Best I could get the TST comp to run is 418HP and 842 lb/ft. This is on L 6 and TE 3. This setting is actually BEYOND anything that can be reliably run without misfire issues. It simply will not run above that for me. Farts, bangs, cuts out etc. Some revisions are in the future, and I believe that Greg has a very good handle on this.

Edge did 406HP and 818lb/ft, BUT there's no saying that this was all it was capable of. The transmission sensing fuel derate may have been a factor here.

I use a pressure box on top of the Edge to get the numbers that I do. Even then, I only get 844lb/ft. The Dyno Jet numbers posted seem a bit high. That could be air, calibration, correction factor, load rating etc. Unless trucks are run on the same dyno, same day/conditions, it is really tough to compare beyond a rough idea. I would say that a stocker would run 230ish with my dyno setup as mine does about 239HP w/o any boxes.

In summary, ask Sdaver which box he keeps coming back to when all is said/done...

GMCTRUCK
06-24-2003, 12:20
Actually John, quite a few Allison trucks with boxes off did put down in the 230s for HP. Some in the 240s and 1 or 2 at about 250. As far as torque #s an optic sensor was used. As far as the dyno readings being high your #s on the Hot Juice alone blow away even the best Hot Juice run we saw, both hp and torque. I think Tony ran the strongest Hot Juice run and he was at 387/721. For comparison the owner said a bone stock Z06 405HP Corvette will put down about 360HP on his dyno. I asked about accuracy of his dyno and being only a month and half old and just calibrated it's about as accurate as can be.

TST Tech
06-24-2003, 12:59
We are looking into putting a lift pump on our Duramax to run the comp box on the higher levels. Clint @ ATS has one on his truck and hasn't had any problems at this point. The comp box appears to require more fuel than the bosch pump can pull from the tank on the higher levels. Hopefully a lift pump will cure this problem, and we can get to that 500 h.p. mark at the rear wheels with #2. ;) More info as it comes. Have a great day , Greg

Kennedy
06-24-2003, 13:20
Greg,

The lift pump may be a factor, BUT based upon my experience I think there will be a significant difference between stationary on a dyno and running on the street. Lemme know when you are ready, and I'll send my Comp units in for updates..

sdaver
06-24-2003, 13:55
useable torque (trany stock).........juice
useable torque (tranny modified).....juice

when I get above 3 and 9 comp version I get the misfire and burst situation........the juice on hot.XXX and juice hot 4.61 have more of the two stroke power on feel in fifth gear.......around 70 as it accelerates the juice is stronger than the tst. Wit the Tst Im still reaching for the same pull or feel by adding more pedal and throttle position causes the tranny to shift down. I have made one run with the Tst comp on 9 and 6 with no bursting or misfires 0 to 60 5.3 13.7 quarter @106mph but have not been able to repeat. I think the lift pump is the way to go for filteration and supply.......jk hurry up with a kit you know how patient I am. :D dave

RWTD
06-24-2003, 14:47
Originally posted by GMCTRUCK:
For comparison the owner said a bone stock Z06 405HP Corvette will put down about 360HP on his dyno. I asked about accuracy of his dyno and being only a month and half old and just calibrated it's about as accurate as can be. Yep, that's about right for Z06's. I normally see between 355 and 365 on bone stock Z06's (2002-2003 models, the 2001's I see around 335 to 345), before tuning, on a Dynojet.

As we all know, Dynojet's do not properly load a vehicle, especially one that weighs more such as a heavy Duramax. The drums weigh around 3300 #'s, so on a Vette they are a pretty fair weight range. Having the vehicle weigh more than the drums will actually cause the readings to show higher, on average. This is all old news, though.

Sincerely...

GMCTRUCK
06-24-2003, 16:10
Originally posted by sdaver:
useable torque (trany stock).........juice
useable torque (tranny modified).....juice

when I get above 3 and 9 comp version I get the misfire and burst situation........the juice on hot.XXX and juice hot 4.61 have more of the two stroke power on feel in fifth gear.......around 70 as it accelerates the juice is stronger than the tst. Wit the Tst Im still reaching for the same pull or feel by adding more pedal and throttle position causes the tranny to shift down. I have made one run with the Tst comp on 9 and 6 with no bursting or misfires 0 to 60 5.3 13.7 quarter @106mph but have not been able to repeat. I think the lift pump is the way to go for filteration and supply.......jk hurry up with a kit you know how patient I am. :D dave My previous TST comp. had some of the burst issues but the TST I'm running now I ran 4 runs on the dyno at level 7 and higher (TE 9) with no fuel loss problems. Of course being strapped to a dyno without the fuel fighting the inertia acceleration it should be easier to keep up with demands but, even on the street where I make alot more boost than on the dyno I leave in level 9 TE all the time and can run right up to power level 9 on the street without the burst problems listed above. For some reason the same box makes alot more smoke in the auto trucks so it could very well be that on the auto more fuel is dumped initially making a lift pump neccessary. That said one auto did dyno the TST comp turned all the way up on Sunday and had no "burst farts" either. His tranny was screaming though.

Geerrhead
06-24-2003, 22:13
Hello,

I want to thank everyone that showed up! It was great to finally meet in person. Eric has welcomed us back, anytime we want. This area is heavily populated by bombed Cummin's. It was an awesome sight to see so many Duramax's. I think the word is spreading, these are the greatest trucks built to date. I learned a lot of valuable information, by testing with my fellow peer's. smile.gif
I hope we do it again soon.

mackin
06-25-2003, 04:27
Originally posted by Geerrhead:
Hello,

I want to thank everyone that showed up! It was great to finally meet in person. Eric has welcomed us back, anytime we want. This area is heavily populated by bombed Cummin's. It was an awesome sight to see so many Duramax's. I think the word is spreading, these are the greatest trucks built to date. I learned a lot of valuable information, by testing with my fellow peer's. smile.gif
I hope we do it again soon. The Thanks goes to You and Eric ..... Was a blast forsure ,you can count on a return .... He opened up his shop on a Sunday to accomidate ,the best ....
It was cool to see those Pony's hootin and hollering over 250 Hp (?) too ..... The brand'ie new Cobra (7k) was sweet too ....Must be nice to have money,that dudes was a young'in .... Was that his sister with him ??? LOL :eek:

I'm surprised Eric will let us back after Jesse left his soda bottles every where .....
:D

Great time ,thanks again ..... Do you have a T/C holding strap part #j21366 amongst other things ??? Someday soon I hope,Joe .... ;)

Mac

GMCTRUCK
06-25-2003, 08:48
Ummm, the "soda" I brought was in cans. As a matter of fact every "soda" I drank went home as an empty in my cooler. If memory serves me right some guy named Al was the one that brought "soda" in bottles. So tongue.gif .

[ 06-25-2003, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: GMCTRUCK ]