PDA

View Full Version : fuel system concerns

saywhat
06-22-2003, 06:27
Changed out first filter at 10,000 miles and found no water when draining so did not cut open for further inspection.Reason for change was engine noise got louder after 8,000 miles but did not change after replaceing filter.At 15,000 miles checked drain for water,found none and started useing FPPF Total power.Changed second filter at 20,000 miles,found no water in drain but did cut open and found lower third discolored in black but no grime or rust colored residue present.I do not believe the water seperator holds the water back, thats why I went to FPPF to emulsify the water.Is the black discoloration caused by water and if so could the system have micro-organism contamination?Other concerns with the system are air and temperature.My truck has noticeable more power when the temp is around 175,normal warmed up temp is 195.A while back I started the truck up for a 100 mile trip,after 15 miles the engine clatter got much louder and stayed that way for rest of trip.It was not as loud as the pre-injection cutting out.Truck starts and runs good with fuel mileage where it belongs.Just wondering if the fuel gets a bit too warm in the hotter weather.

More Power
06-22-2003, 14:40
Most people who have owned a diesel light-truck through an entire year know that fuel quality (cetane variations), winter fuel blending (to reduce gelling), ambient temperature, elevation and a host of other variables can all cause a diesel engine to sound a little different. In general, slight variations in diesel combustion (and subsequent noise) are normal.

Microorganisms can collect on a fuel filter, and may make it look blacker. However, asphaltines (black particles making it through the refining process) is the most likely cause of a black fuel filter. DSG's fuel treatment is advertised as being designed (in part) to deal with asphaltines (keep the particles in suspension - dissolved).

MP

jbplock
06-23-2003, 03:35
MP,

Thanks for pointing out the 4plus additive’s feature of holding asphaltenes in suspension. Interesting… Do other premium additives (Full Power, Primrose, Stanadyne ect) have this feature as well? Also the BIG question … is 4Plus a water emulsifier or de-mulsifier? The 4Plus brochure (http://www.farmersdiesel.com/dsg/4plus.html) says "Advanced Water Control Technology" (?)...
smile.gif