PDA

View Full Version : Clamp-style pyro probe pre-turbo?

SparkyTX
06-19-2003, 20:31
Is it possible (reasonable) to install the clamp-style pyro probe pre-turbo? If so, where?

I went to DIS today, and they said they have mostly been installing the clamp-style due to risk of manifold damage from drilling/tapping. He said to install it in the "crossover". I am new to this rig, but I know gassers. Per the exhaust routing in the service manual and my experience, I do not see any crossover, nor any easy access for a clamp style mounting pre-turbo.

I am thinking of going back tomorrow and exchanging it for a screw-in type. Should I or should I not?

Kennedy
06-19-2003, 20:47
I have no problems with either style.

I WOULD suggest going to a plug in style end, but everyone seems to be into cheap these days and uses the ring eye/heat shrink type.

SparkyTX
06-19-2003, 20:50
Where, pre-turbo, would install the clamp style?

Silver Bullet
06-20-2003, 07:42
DIS installed BassinRver's...I think his is a clamp style. It is in the exhaust pipe just past the manifold...Robert is this correct???

I am hopefully ordering my gauges today from JK...I am going into the manifold with mine.

hoot
06-20-2003, 07:47
In this pic of my cracked bracket, you can install the clamped style on the outlet pipe on the above right. The tube that turns up 90 deg. coming out of the cast ex manifold.

image (http://www.uscom.com/%7Ehoot/cars/duramax/gmc/downpipe_break/DSCN3050.jpg)

J/K I believe they are talking about pyro installation with a hose clamp style.

Kennedy
06-20-2003, 07:55
I use the clamp in style for post turbo installations. I cannot see welding a bung to an aluminized or coated pipe.

I use the thread in style for casting installations, but it should work fairly well on a manifold.

Bassin has been having problems with his, and the first thing I suggested was to go to a weatherpack plug in style probe/leadwire as they make R&R/testing SO much easier...

BassinRVer
06-20-2003, 08:50
Yes I have the clamp on style probe. It is located just below the ring expanding circles. I would not recommend this application. Go back to DIS and get the screw in probe. I am still having trouble with my Pyro acting up and I think that a screw in probe would be one less problem area. When I took my probe off when trouble shooting I noticed that the probe fits very SLOPPY in the drilled downpipe and I was not impressed with DIS drilling too large a hole that the probe just flops around in. What ever you do use the weather tight fitting that JK is referring too. DIS even used butt end connectors after they replaced the probe for the second time. I have more splices in my system because they do not know what they are doing. Make sure DIS gave you LEAD wire for the probe and not ordinanry cheap speaker wire. I thought my pyro was fixed before the trip to Montana but no, I have too many loose connections on my system that work their way loose and all thanks to DIS. My advice would be to purchase your equipment from JK who is more sensitive to our needs (and more knowledgeable on trouble free equipment) than someplace that just sells equipment because they can make a few bucks for the corporation.

WhiteDuramax
06-20-2003, 15:13
I also have some trouble sometimes with my Isspro pryo acting up. It will starting jumping around dropping to around 150 then up to 300 and it just goes crazy. Mine is installed post turbo in the exhaust-clamp in style, I would have went with a pre-turbo but the only pryo gauge they had left was a colored post turbo gauge. My lead wire is one with eyelets that bolts together. JK- could I just get a screw in type probe for the manifold and hook it up to my gauge, and I would just have to know that color codings on the gauge is wrong? Or I could just order a pre-turbo gauge and everything and get a 3 pillar gauge pod, but that will cost about as much as putting my gauges in to start with.

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-20-2003, 15:30
I ran the autometer EGT post turbo for a year w/o a problem. When I decided to push the limit and the mods on my '02 I definately needed to be pre-turbo,

Seeing how easy it was to do, why I ever went post turbo ................. :confused:

I can see the benefit of watching the coolodown though.

GMC ;)

Kennedy
06-20-2003, 16:05
Technically, the EV series from ISSPRO does not need a lead wire, and could be connected with speaker wire. That said, I still prefer to use the lead wire kits w/plug in style ends. This way you have a double insulated wire, and an easily serviceable connection.

The pyro does not know/care where you have the probe so yes, you would just have to swap probe types and "compute" the differences in the color scale. Have fun with the heat shrink...