PDA

View Full Version : Don't Need No Juice

APR2000
05-25-2002, 20:34
Sorry, but I can't relate to the current "Juice" fad. I like my Duramax engine fine the way it is stock. I wanted an all around work/farm truck. Not interested in a hot rod. It accelerates faster than I had expected when it came off the dealers lot on 12/8/00. I've had it now 1 1/2 years and love it. These add on boxes come at a cost, more than the purchase price. So, for $700 I can get more power, more torque, and more girls with no ill effects on the longevity of the engine. Maybe it's a generation gap thing, but compared to all the trucks I've owned in my life, this one was never thought possible. I choose to be satisfied with what I've got. Also, I haven't had any software upgrades yet either. Hope you guys enjoy your Juice. I just have "No Use for Juice".

csimo
05-25-2002, 21:19
Despite all the messages here you are in the majority! The stock Duramax will tow up to its full rating better than any truck on the road. I can't imagine anyone buying a diesel to make it fast.

The first generation performance boxes that raise fuel pressure are dangerous and I feel sorry for those that have them. The Juice says they don't do that, and I hope their telling the truth. There are down sides to all of them. We know the stock Allison can't take all the power the Juice offers, and early transmission failures are bound to occur.

I like it stock too, and we are the majority despite all the message to the contrary.

PEANUTGRWR
05-25-2002, 21:59
SOME LIKE IT HOT AND SOME DONT!!!!! I LIKE POWER AND WANT MORE OF IT. JUICE, PROPANE IT DOESNT MATTER JUST GIVE ME MORE OF IT smile.gif :D :D

Big O
05-25-2002, 22:04
APR2000
I am pretty well on the same page with you. Sure, I could still enjoy even more power--but like you, I have all I need to work or play. And I know that all that extra hp HAS to shorten the longevity of the engine. This is the first NEW vehicle that I have bought since '76, and I just flat can't afford to tear it up and get another every couple of years.

imported_
05-25-2002, 22:12
OK... i agree with stock being a good thing... in fact it may be the best thing for reliability; however for those of us who do tow heavy on a regular basis... it is nice to not downshift at the first sign of an incline or have a reserve of power to enable us to get by a vehicle going slower than the posted limit.... think about one thing.... our trucks have large brakes for superior cooling and thermal resistance to fade... that is a safety margin.. same goes for power..... we do not use it every time ...but it is nice to have a reserve to tap in to when the occasion demands.... especially on 2 lane roads here in bc..... where every passing zone seems to be going uphill

mackin
05-26-2002, 05:10
What PEANUTGRWR said ........

Not to mention all tho some what the same ... GM will tweak the software for the next ,who knows how many years to stay with the competition ....... There is always room for a few up-man-ships .......Without reinventing the wheel, so to speak ...... We got it all at once , and then some ...... Everything comes at a risk ....... But it's a hell of a playground ......... The chose is yours .....
MAC :D

NutNbutGMC
05-26-2002, 07:18
^....What Mack Daddy said..... But they all are still stuck on a maximum 97 MPH... Fast? I think NOT !!! Mini-Vans rule... :D

04 / 2000 - You should consider a software upgrade. You're missing out on some great stock performance.

Have a great weekend, all.

Breck
05-26-2002, 13:28
I guess TX farmers need to be faster than VA farmers?

;)

LarryM
05-27-2002, 08:29
You can put me in the "don't need more power" category. My '93 K2500 5.7L 5sp towed everything I needed, everyplace I wanted, as fast as I cared to drive. I bought this diesel so that I didn't have to listen to an engine screaming at 3000 RPM going up hills.

The Duramax, in it's stock form, has more power than I can use under normal conditions. Unfortunately, GM wants it to scream just like a gasser. I have had all the software updates and am not pleased at all with the constant downshifting while crusing.

If it can be proven, without a doubt, that an aftermarket mod of some kind will stop the downshifting without killing the MPG and shortening the life of the drivetraine components, then I will have it.

mackin
05-27-2002, 09:43
LarryM,

Well, I'll tell you a shot of "JUICE" will cure your downshift ill's...... Just ask around ....... As far as drivetrain strain ...... I truly believe it's up to you and your right foot ....... If you can keep it off the mat or close to it why would it beat up on drivetrain? I can (although I lose control often) can drive around as I did before the mod..... What you should do is hook up with someone who has one, give it a spin, and judge from that.There is a few from AZ here, if your interested..... I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised .......If you were to HOTROD around every day in a stock vehicle drivetrain components will be strained also ...... Just an opinion ....

MAC :D :D

[ 05-27-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

stretch
05-27-2002, 18:18
All it gets down to is different strokes for different folks. I respect those who want to retain the stock form and I'm sure it will add to longevity. Others, like myself, have an insatiable appetite for power and getting the most of what you have, within reason. I guess that is why the aftermarket thrives. On a side note : What do you think is worse, pushing a motor to its limit stock or enhancing the performance so you don't have to push it ? Just food for thought. :confused:

PEANUTGRWR
05-27-2002, 19:49
STRETCH YOUR LAST SENTENCE SAID IT ALL. JUST THINK ABOUT IT GUYS. AND YES I SUPPOSE THAT TX FARMERS HAVE A NEED TO BE FASTER THAN VA FARMERS, EVERYONE I KNOW HERE THAT HAS A DMAX HAS IT BOMBED JUST NOT BOMBED AS MUCH AS MINE :cool: AINT NUTTIN LIKE STACKING!!!!!!

motovet
05-27-2002, 23:55
I too liked the stock power the Duramax produced. BUT... now I like it MORE!!! One thing I didn't like was the downshift at every bump while towing our 10,000# trailer. NO MORE! The Juice IS the answer. I towed for the first time this weekend with the Juice (level 2 with tow/haul), WOW! The downshift is a thing of the past. Hills that used to require 4th I now pull in 5th , even the steepest grade (I don't know how steep), pulled in 4th. I was even able to pull Snoqualmie pass in O.D.! I also managed 11.5 mpg (mostly mountains) wich matches the best I have seen towing. Am I happy... Oh yeah.

AzKevin
05-29-2002, 12:57
By definition a fad is something that is here today and gone tomorrow. In contrast, diesel pickup aftermarket performance mods have been around for years and are only gaining in popularity.

I respect the conservative view that stock Dmax power levels are adequate, afterall that's one of the main reasons we bought Dmax's. ;)

On the otherhand, even the '03 Ford and Dodge power levels are climbing. So is that to say that conservative diesel pickup owners will never step up to the plate and buy higher powered diesels? I doubt it, rather higher power levels sell trucks. In addition, some folks buy diesel pickups because aftermarket performance upgrades are available.!

Who would have ever thought the words Better Off Modified Baby (BOMB) would ring true even in GM land? :D :D

hoot
05-29-2002, 15:05
Nothing like More Power at the flip of a switch.

dmaxstu
05-29-2002, 15:38
Hoot you are in VA and you heard the Texans they are entitled and your not so you better switch it off. Stu