PDA

View Full Version : Jerking in 5th gear with the Edge Juice

Mark A
05-21-2002, 20:48
I got the edge box "Damn it is cool" but when pulling up hills, no load, in any stage when the converter is locked in 5th, the truck will jerk like it is cutting out. I am just wondering if this is the box cutting out power, or the transmission slipping? And I have heard some rumors on how to teach the trans, but I am kinda questionable on it. They said to hold it to the floor until 50MPH then throw it in 1st gear and let the trans, stop the truck. thanks By the way I like this web site

CntrlCalDmax
05-21-2002, 20:55
The jerking is called fishbite. In very simple terms, it's a problem when transitioning from the stock fuel schedule to the juiced schedule during certain throttle positions and power settings. Edge is aware of it and if you call Aaron I'm sure he can help.

Kennedy
05-21-2002, 23:00
This seems to happen only in certain vehicles, and I am back to the "individualistic" thing again.

I have experienced this first hand, and have a second Juice on my truck that largely eliminates this.

I should note that the offending box worked just fine on yet another truck...

MaxNouT
05-21-2002, 23:14
kennedy,
Were you using the Juice box with the retarted timing when you had the fishbite experience?
You also state that the "new" box is a night and day difference in performance.What difference(s) did you find with the boxes?Off the line,low end grunt,top end power, etc. etc.

:confused:

Kennedy
05-21-2002, 23:27
The first box I received was "retarded less than stock timing" as I am told. It ran OK, but lackluster. This one had the fishbite problem as did the second one. The second one really screamed, and was a good 1/2 second faster in the 1/4 mile. It seems as though most of this happens early on in the power curve (0-60)

The Third one has markedly reduced fishbite although not altogether cured. I am quite confident this is just a simple "teething" problem...

Plasticfantastic
05-22-2002, 06:49
JK, obviously Aaron has really stood behind the product for you. Is this covered under the product warranty when you have "anomalies" like the fishbite or each truck's individualiistic tendencies?
I know these products take a lot of real world R&D to perfect. Have they said if we would be able to get programming upgrades done? any cost mentioned?

Kennedy
05-22-2002, 09:43
Yes, he has been VERY good about it. I am hopeful that eventually, the hardware/software will be released to allow updates in house vs sending the units back in. This will be a great time saver!

Buck
05-22-2002, 10:59
Has anyone had these conditions with the EZ AMP? Isn't the EZ AMP basically the same box?

bobgj
05-23-2002, 16:02
for those still interested in this thread, i have the duramaximizer in my 01', it will do this fish bite thing during excelleration with the mizer turned all the way up, and also during downshift while passing. i haven't talked to the manufacturerer yet.