PDA

View Full Version : white smoke and loss of power

biker Wayne
10-01-2003, 09:41
I've been watching this forum for over 2 years now. I had an incident last weekend that I think has not been discussed.
While towing a 9500# trailer thru a construction zone at 55 mph under manual speed control (ie no cruise), it felt like I lost power. I floored it and the engine produced a loud clattering like when the pilot injection does not work and there was NO power. I let off the throttle a few seconds and floored it again. Again the load clattering and NO power. I noticed in the right side mirrow a large cloud of grayish-white smoke, not just a puff but a large cloud. Let off the throttle again and waited a few seconds. Floored it a third time and now I have power, no clattering and no cloud. Had no more problems on the trip or on the way back.
Took it to the dealer Tuesday and the computer told them that 250 miles ago at 55 mph it set a code for a camshaft position sensor problem. Apparently the sensor malfunction caused the ECM to go to idle.
I had several "interesting" thoughts while pulling a 32 foot trailer thru a construction zone with no where to pull off and a total loss of power. :eek: