PDA

View Full Version : Air Box Advice

DrL30047
10-01-2003, 02:32
I have a '01 D/A CC, and the warranty will soon expire. I have the original air box configuration and I have not experienced any problems that I know of. I installed an Amsoil Ait Filter at 10,000 miles. There are 21,000 miles on my truck now. I occasionally pull a 10,000 pound TT, but plan to pull it much more often in the next few years.

I have read the posts on the air box controversy, and the advice on drilling holes in the old style. Is there a final verdict on this? Should I ask my dealer for the new air box before my warranty runs out? Drill holes in this one? Leave it alone?

Thanks for the input. As an ignorant D/A owner, I value the information you folks post

DmaxMaverick
10-01-2003, 02:53
Definately drill the holes and lose the snorkel.

I would suggest (first) that you go to the dealer and have the updated box installed. Most of the dealers are not too bad about handling campaigns and may let you keep the old box. Then you will have one to keep stock, and one to drill into.

I drilled mine before the campaign, so asking for a new one wouldn't really be right (with me, anyway). I have about 60K on the drilled box and won't go back. Some suggest that the hole in the fender be blocked off, but I couldn't see the reason for it. There is enough space between the box and fender that the air draw is very minimal. I have the Amsoil filter in mine and have not found signs of water since the drillin'. It was getting wet before the change.

Heartbeat Hauler
10-01-2003, 10:44
Ditto for me. I did the same thing with the same setup and no water yet.
JP

DinoMax
10-01-2003, 13:08
DrL30047, I too swiss cheesed my airbox. No trouble to date. I have an '02, so I already had the updated box (w/out snorkel). I had the metal tape covering up the hole in fenderwell where snorkel used to live, and I also removed that. Didn't really notice a seat of the pants difference in power, but the turbo seems to spool up quicker and whine more than stock, so I know it is getting better airflow. As far as dirt or water getting in, it has not been an issue. I live on a dirt road, and give it a pretty good test on a daily basis ;) So far, so good. DinoMax :D :D

Kennedy
10-01-2003, 15:17
One common thing that I see is on 2001 trucks, many do not have the air box update performed. This is covered under bulletin # 01-06-04-050. This bulletin ALSO includes programming updates that relate to the setting of false codes. Many do not get these updates, and then when codes set as a result of a power module, the module gets blamed (ever wonder why there are refurb Juice boxes?) unfairly...

maxdout
10-03-2003, 05:59
Hy Guys, I think this is my first post.

Doest anyone have any pics of their airbox, or can ya'll tell me where to put the holes and how big of holes to drill. I have holesaws and was thinking a few 1" or 1-1/2" would work nice.

Thanks,

David Walker

DmaxMaverick
10-04-2003, 09:53
maxdout

I drilled a 3/8" (IIRC) hole in each of the squares in the "waffled" bottom of the box. Probably overkill (my middle name). Just a guess, I think there were about 50 holes (I didn't actually count them). No chance of water collecting there. With the snorkle removed, the size of the hole(s) is not really relevent. The purpose was to prevent water from puddling in the box. I suggest 3/16" minimum. Having water get into the box is not a real issue, but too much will allow it to reach the filter element. There will be water reaching the box no matter what you do, the key is to minimize the volume and collection.

I would not recommend drilling holes in the bottom of the box that crosses the web of the molding (larger than about 1/2"). This would probably weaken the structure and cause cracks over time. In other words, smaller is better (in this case). Drilling between the webs didn't seem to weaken it at all that I could tell.

56Nomad
10-04-2003, 19:16
Here is my swiss cheese......
http://members.cruzio.com/~quailman/SwissCheese.jpg

maxdout
10-05-2003, 21:22
Thanks for the help guys. I just put in the UNI-filter on Friday. I'm anxious to see if it helps MPG or anything else. I'm bone-stock otherwise and still trying to decide on my first mod.

maxdout