PDA

View Full Version : Blown Powersmoke

Quarter Horse
09-30-2003, 12:09
An acquaintance of mine recently hired someone to deliver some horses to :confused: Florida using his F__d truck and trailer. This thing allegedly had a chip in it, and the story is that the drivers blew the turbocharger somewhere in Georgia. When this happened, the failure code tipped off the dealer that the truck was running a chip, so they wouldn't warranty it. My question is this: Does this sound correct? If I chip my DuraMax and have a problem, am I screwed? What would have failed on the turbo other than the bearings or impeller, anyway, and why could they have failed?

gene smith
09-30-2003, 15:07
if you use the correct programmer and something like this happens to you all you have to do is de program it and the dealer can't tell, get your repair work done reprogram it and go on down the road.

Geno ;)

ratlover
10-01-2003, 05:21
Or if you run the juice you can just yank the box off.

Yes you can be denied waranty for using a chip.

ratlover
10-01-2003, 05:29
2 reasons come to mind btw.

1 The new 6.0 Fords kinda tend to eat turbos as well as all kinds of other fun parts, but oddly enough they run like scalded dogs when not hooked up to the back of a wrecker :rolleyes: Fords fault.

2 He was running a chip and somebody was hauling something not paying attention the the EGT guage or he dosnt have one and he nuked it. His fault/fault of driver.

drgracr
10-02-2003, 15:32
I find this hard to believe without a throttle plate but anything is possible, whats your thoughts :confused:
"Just wanted to pass on some info about Turbo surge that I just came across. This surge occurs at high manifold pressure levels when under heavy throttle and load conditions. Suddenly the throttle is cut, causing the turbo exhaust energy to be drastically reduced. At this point the compressor side has lost the turbine driving force, this then causes the wheels to stall and almost stop due to the high manifold charge pressure reversing direction. Turbocharger surge can result in the damage of the full floating bearings as well as the thrust bearings. Typically this damage results in catastrophic failure of the turbo either by compressor wheel contacting the housing, snapped turbine shafts or oil loss. Of course this is greatly increased if a chip is introduced into the picture. "

Also I've read that a chipped6.0 will double its turbine speed to get the extra boost(4lbs), thus breaking the shaft, but wouldn't the waste gate bleed off pressure later. therefore turbine speed really wouldn't chage?