PDA

View Full Version : New Oem Filter Made for Duramax's

smartfix
09-27-2003, 19:01
Hello all

Guys would you like to check this web site out.. Is this a true donaldson filter.. its on the web site for sale for our Duramax's buy a case of 12 ..

Feed back anyone Looks real

Web site is

https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/WebStore/search/item_detail.html?item=201622

From steve :confused:

Spoolin'It
09-27-2003, 19:15
Since the OE filter is patented, all the fuel filters are made by Racor until the patent runs out in 10 years. All the others you see are rebranded ( they paid Racor to paint their name on the side). All the filter manufacturers sell between each other in a situation where patents are involved.

gene smith
09-28-2003, 09:18
SpoolinIt
So what you are saying is no mater what name is on the filter it is made by racor and same as OEM filter, no offince but I would like to know where you got your info, in case i run brand x and I have trouble I will have something to stand on. thanks for your help
Geno
smartfix
that web is for dealers only
Geno

[ 09-28-2003, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: gene smith ]

Spoolin'It
09-28-2003, 10:33
Gene,

I used to work in engineering for a OE filter manufacturer in the area (not Racor). Based on that experience I know it is common practice for all the manufacturers to rebrand for each other until patents expire in newly designed elements such as the one on the Duramax. Some try to cheat the system, Baldwin learned the hard way a few years ago when they copied a patented Racor design and lost a lawsuit to Racor and ended up paying a penalty for every element sold(iirc).
How to prove it to the dealer, thats the part thats tricky. We all know now that Racor is the supplier, getting GM to admit it could be difficult. I've been using Racor branded elements because I figure GM cannot argue a warranty claim if the part has their suppliers name on it.
Not to mention under Magnuson Moss it is up to GM to prove the "aftermarket" part caused the damage.
If you are that worried about it pay the price and run the GM filters, otherwise I think that you are safe with the Racor branded. All others (Fram, carquest, etc...), based on Racor actively persuing patent infringement it is safe to say they are from Racor but proving it isn't easy.

smartfix
09-29-2003, 13:15
Hello all

VERY BAD NEWS... Spoke to steve ottson .. Support team

He was Shock what we told him about the oem filter.. Guess
what Guys.. Same Filter again just Rebox and painted with there name on them.. <Can't Win this Box Game >[:Cry:]

This is unreal i learned a lot today from this guy

From steve
:(