PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Air Separation System

20050528|8|000731|000000|205.188.117.71
09-27-2003, 05:32
I was sent some information from Diesel Performance Products (not the same as the exhaust people Diesel Performance Parts) about their high performance diesel fuel delivery system. I have been reading some of the other posts regarding the extensive filter debate going on, and I wondered if anyone has tried one of these units?

They claim that the unit removes particulates and air/fuel vapor from the fuel then pressurizes the fuel before the fuel is presented to the engine pump or in some applications it eliminates the engine

Kennedy
09-27-2003, 06:45
I'm thinking that this is targeted at the non lift pump med/large trucks like my Iveco where the lift/transfer pump is engine or IP mounted. This is similar to the Dmax arrangement.

Aside from the extra filtering, it likely has little/no affect on air above and beyond putting pressure on the fuel in the lines.

Not sure what the result of allowing and "scooping" vapors then purging to tank really is, but I would think that the more vaporization that occurs and is purged, the less that is left to burn, kinda like gasoline evaporating...

09-29-2003, 10:10
I called Brad Ekstam the developer of this system, and he told me that he has tried these systems on the 03 Dodge trucks with great success. Brad said that this system replaces the factory lift pump and filter. The fuel first gets drawn thru a Fleetguard filter / water separator then into a second filter that separates the air from the fuel. The clean fuel minus the air goes to the high pressure system. The fuel and air that gets separated in the second filter gets returned back to the tank.

Brad

10-02-2003, 06:26
Originally posted by kennedy:
Those who have been paying attention read no further.

The outgassing seems to be occurring in the lines and/or EDU as the fuel crosses the engine and is heated. It then goes to the filters where it passes through. I've seen this in my clear line testing.

While the filter media of an added filter MAY have an affect on this outgassing by imposing increased restriction, the ones with the rear mounted filters would then have the largest volume of fuel subjected to the maximum pressure drop.

The reason my filter catches so much air is the head design as abear stated. The air/gas simply will rise to the top. The reason some have stalls at startup is loss of prime due to volume of air in the filter, location of the filter, and likely mechanical conditions of the fuel system. JK, I realize that you have lots invested in your filter system, and may not care to approve or disapprove of others. After reading this post in another thread, it jogged my memory about the air filtration system. I am just trying to toss in an idea that may be beneficial to everyone. The air filter might be a hoax. I was hoping that you would be able to independently review the product, and if it is worthy come up with a system that uses both your superior dirt filtration plus the air removal system.

I realize that you cannot test every gizmo that gets brought up here. Thanks for all your advice in any case!

Mark

Kennedy
10-02-2003, 07:12
We'll see. I'm in the middle of a shop construction/dyno project, and haven't even had time to finish my own lift pump project.

I can't help but think that this seperator is causing the free vapor that it is catching. After adding a lift pump, I have observed an absolute zero gas collection in my filter head. I'll admit, that the thought has crossed my mind to mount my lift pump right ay my Mega filter inlet so the vapors would continue to free up then purge back to tank via an orificed line from my bleeder. Then a guy wonders why we would let it vaporize in the first place, as this would be like letting the lighter part of the fuel evaporate correct? :confused:

Once again, I get a notion that this device was developed to add fuel lift to trucks running an engine or IP mounted transfer pump...

[ 10-02-2003, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: kennedy ]

10-02-2003, 11:12
Your orifice return line idea sounds a lot like what this guy is doing. I have not heard of a fuel / air filter before. Separation of lighter parts of the fuel, and what affect that would have on the fuel quality, cetane etc. is beyond me. I hope you have time to run down here Saturday for the 1/4 mile races in Union Grove. It should be a fun time. A little cold, but that will be good for power!

Thanks,

Mark

Kennedy
10-02-2003, 11:29
With any luck, I'll be laying out floor heat tubes Saturday so the guys can pour on Monday.