PDA

View Full Version : Help - need good dealer in Michigan

D Dog
09-26-2003, 08:01
Help, my dealer sucks. I think my truck was one of two they have sold. They can not even answer the most basic questions. They have told me their new Duramax tech is in training. Does anyone know of a good dealer in the Oakland or Lapeer county area of Michigan?

blowinsmoke
09-26-2003, 08:56
Ask - dmaxallitech, he's in Grand Rapids and is certified - he works for GM.. tqauto@aol.com

dmaxalliTech
09-26-2003, 09:59
Yo!! Good, nope, BEST dealer here!!

D Dog
09-26-2003, 10:29
Thanks guys, If I need any major work done I would definitely go to dmaxalliTech's dealership. It is quite a long ways away for minor work. Can anyone suggest someone closer?

I only have two complaints on my Duramax:

1. When in tow mode and slowing down to a stop. It downshifts normally until almost stopped. Then it surges ahead. It feels like someone pushed in the clutch. (this is an Allison) I did talk to another owner that had this condition. He thought it was very dangerous when hauling a heavy load. I have not hauled heavy yet.

2. I have the tick at idle, and the 1800-2200 rpm rattle that sound like spark knock in a gas engine.

I am most concerned about the tow mode condition. The tick does not worry me, but the spark knock like rattle does. Does anyone have any advice?

Man I sure love this truck. It far exceeds my expectations. The Diesel Page and it's members are really great too. Thanks for the advice.
:cool:

dmaxalliTech
09-26-2003, 10:41
D Dog,

1: This is completely normal charecteristic for the allison. Its more noticable on a slow decel then it is on a rapid decel. Its all about shift feel. There is nothing really wrong with it nor any way to make it better, by the time your 2-1 downshift takes place, your brakes should stop you.

2: the tick at idle is something to get used too, no fix, no reason to fix. Its caused be oil pressure and its relation to the pistons, and rotating assembly. The rattle you are getting may be the pilot injection shutting off, usually its noticable in the higher rpm range. If thats the case, its completely normal as well.

Eric

Michigana_Joe
09-26-2003, 11:36
D Dog: I need to find a good Chevrolet dealer in the same area -- tough isn't it!

Anyone?

D Dog
09-26-2003, 12:53
smile.gif
DmaxalliTech,
Thanks for the advise! This is exactly what I hoped you would tell me. Now I can enjoy these noises instead of worrying about them. The 2-1 downshift will just take some getting used to. It was probably exaggerated by a light payload, and light or no use of the brakes. I will be towing for the first time this weekend, so maybee I'll find out then. If you ever want an airboat tour or duck hunt on Saginaw Bay let me know. :cool:

Michigana Joe,
My truck was delivered with no power steering fluid on the stick, 20 psi of air in one front tire, and 30 psi in the other. They screwed up my plate transfer, and I had to go and get a temp until the mess got fixed. :mad: The service manager tells me that their new Duramax tech is in training, and not to come in for a couple weeks. The assistant service manager has another story. He says their already experienced Duramax tech is off sick, and they are not scheduling any work for him. No offense to the good (and best)techs out there, but I would not even trust this GMC dealer to do a chassis lube. Do yourself a favor and learn do the normal maintance yourself, it really is not that hard. You can buy the filters for half of the dealer price at truck parts stores, or online. With any luck, maybee we won't need the dealer for anything. If I ever have any Duramax or Allison related problems, hopefully the truck can make it to Grand Rapids.

Thanks again to DmaxalliTech
:D

Brandenburg
09-26-2003, 14:24
Thanks again to DmaxalliTech I'll ditto that. I'm sorry again that I just showed up like that, they told me yesterday you'd be in and I wouldn't need an appointment but I should of called first this morning. Anyway, thanks for what you did. I hope I gave you enough :confused: , if not let me know and I will send more because I sure do appreciate it! :D :cool:

dmaxalliTech
09-27-2003, 06:46
D Dog, where do you go out on Sag Bay? I used to live in Bay City and the folks still live over there, go out a couple times a summer snaggin walleye. I might take you up on the offer though ;)

Brandenberg--no problem, sorry about the confusion with me being gone. They are not always on the ball up front! Is your truck shifting better? Hope so.. Let me know if I can do anything else, We are squared up.

Hey all you Michigan folks, dont forget the trip to Grand Rapids In Oct for Dyno/Diesel day... More info here Diesel Day (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=000111)

D Dog
09-27-2003, 08:14
I have a place at Bayport. We use the airboat to get out around the islands and marsh there to hunt and fish. The water is less than one foot deep in that whole area. My airboat has enough power to run on dry land to cross the sandbars. Airboating is fun! :D :D Walleye fishing is good in the deeper area they call the "slot" outside of Hiesterman Island in July. I'm leaving to go up there now. :cool:

Let me know whenever you want to go: markm00@sbcglobal.net

What a bummer, Dyno/diesel Day is also opening day of duck season. :(

bluenote
09-27-2003, 08:17
I bought my truck at Prestige Chevy in Flushing (a little drive from Lapeer, but certainly do-able), and have had all my service done there. I haven't had any major mechanical things, just a couple re-flashes and a couple other minor issues which were handled well. The service manager is a buddy of mine, and they have a few guys who have experience with the Duramax/Allison combo, including their shop foreman who is pretty good at diagnostic work based on what I've seen.

Good Luck!

D Dog
09-27-2003, 08:23
Thanks Bluenote smile.gif

D Dog
09-27-2003, 08:27
Does anyone know anything about the Chevy dealer in Lapeer?
Will most Chevy dealers do warranty work on my GMC? :rolleyes:

tysmith
09-27-2003, 18:28
I was told warranty work can only be done by your brand dealer, while routine service work can be done anywhere. I guess if you're buying, you call the shots. Just what I was told by a local Chevy dealer with a great reputation for their service work...

Ty