PDA

View Full Version : picking up new truck

Roy-C
03-25-2004, 07:16
I will be picking up my new GMC, D/A, 4wd, LB, ExtCab in a few days.

A couple of questions:

I have been advised to check the engine, trans, diff, fluid levels before leaving the lot. I don't know if the service dept will do this on the spot if I ask them. If I need to do it myself can anyone tell me the exact procedure and tools I will neeed to check the trans and diff fluid levels?

I plan to change the engine oil as soon as I get home (10 mi). Is there some kind of special oil that is used during break-in (non-detergent?)or do I use one of the regular 10-40 oils commonly used in these engines? I regularly do my own oil changes on current vehicles so I don't expect any difficulty with the truck but does anyone have any tips. Any special tools needed? I don't know if my current oil drain pan will hold 16 quarts. Do they have special huge oil drain pans at auto parts stores for dieseles?

(I am a diesel newbie. Hope these questions aren't too dumb :confused: )

Roy-C
03-26-2004, 08:44
Well, I got the call from the dealer yesterday afternoon. Didn't have the answers to my questions yet - maybe they WERE too dumb - plus it was raining and I wouldn't be crawling under the truck to check the differential fluid anyway, so I made a mad dash to the dealer for the delivery of my new baby. The owners manual is surprisingly complete and describes the process for checking all of the fluids. It was difficult to leave it in the driveway and drive my old Toyota to work this morning but I did it. It's not supposed to rain tomorrow so I will crawl underneath and check everything out. Loving it so far - 35 miles on the odometer.

mark45678
03-26-2004, 18:16
roy I would leave the oil in the motor for a little longer maybe 500~1000 mile its 10-30 fill from the factory this should help with getting the break in on all the parts , I can understand wanting to change it but give it so time to run in! think about the rearend and transfer case around 1K also!

mark45678
03-26-2004, 18:19
roy I would leave the oil in the motor for a little longer maybe 500~1000 mile its 10-30 fill from the factory this should help with getting the break in on all the parts , I can understand wanting to change it but give it so time to run in! think about the rearend and transfer case around 1K also!

Roy-C
03-27-2004, 07:43
Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. I called the servce dept at the dealer to ask about the oil and the advisor said that the factory reccommends to leave the original oil in for 5K mi - "everything will seat in better"?? Hard to know what is best!