PDA

View Full Version : Why did you choose the diesel option?

More Power
12-23-2004, 15:09
Why did you choose the diesel option?

What do like best about the diesel, and what do you like least? If you had it to do over again, would you choose the diesel engine option?

MP

bluenote
12-23-2004, 16:27
I actually started out looking to move from an extended cab to a crew cab. Shortly after I started considering that, GM introduced the Duramax. I spent many months reading and researching, using this and other truck discussion forums. I bought my July built 01 in October, after the 02's were on the lots and have enjoyed every moment.

I really like the fuel economy and torque advantages the diesel gives me over my previous truck (with the vortec 7400). I can't think of anything I don't like with the diesel. As long as we own a decent sized 5er (current one is 32'9" with double slides and a loaded weight approaching 12K), I don't plan on towing with anything but a diesel ever again.

SDakDmax
12-23-2004, 17:04
power to pull with better milage than a gas..
better trade-in value..
like the least.. a little headache in very cold weather.. maint. costs..
would I do it again? yes, as long as I need the power

SLT556
12-23-2004, 17:35
I love the sound, the throttle response, and of course the low end power and torque. The fuel milage is an added plus.

Dewey Faircloth
12-23-2004, 18:08
Drove diesels over 21 years and just about no up keep on them.Them preform better for what I pull and get better mileage.Never concerned about trade value,not much on trading.
Owned several fords and put over 300,000 on a few but a 1992 sent me to GM and never looked back.

WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!!

dmaxalliTech
12-23-2004, 20:28
Wanted a CC truck after a couple ex cabs... had to go to a 2500 truck for that, picked my truck on the exterior color (Blue) and really didnt give to shakes about the engine... That was Aug of 02, then I found DieselPage and my addictions grew.. ;)

Phase 3
12-23-2004, 20:29
I'm wasn't much of a P/U truck guy untill I needed one and bought a used F150. Then I bought a medium sized enclosed for the bikes and found out soon after that the F150 couldn't get the job done. I was in the market for a new truck and I didn't consider a diesel because I thought they were smelly, slow and cost about ~$5K more for the diesel option. After doing the research and deciding that I keep certain vehicles longer than leasing makes sence, in this case, the diesel was the way to go, so I bought to own. I'm just hoping that I didn't make a mistake. I take fanatical care of my vehicles and am looking forward to 200K+ (trouble free/engine) miles without being hijacked for(major)repairs (injectors???) that I might not have otherwise experienced with a gasser over the life time of the vehicle.

Otherwise, this thing is COOL!

Steve Rapp
12-25-2004, 14:47
After towing with many gas powered trucks I never felt that I had enough power or enough gears. Really no need to mention how horrible MPG are with a gasser. My Dad was truck driver and the sound and smell of the "Diesel" always appealed to me. I still trying to figure out what I don't like about them! smile.gif Oh yeah, need that second OD gear to get the revs to 1500 unloaded/empty.

DarylB
12-25-2004, 19:36
Pros: Fuel Efficiency, Torqe for pulling.
Cons: Inital High Cost. Maintenance costs.

Previous Truck experiences:
I owned a 2000 Classic 2500 GMC 350 and a 4L80E. It did an OK job pulling my 11k camper, and then a 1987 Suburban 454.

Did a lot of research here on TDP and decided to go with a diesel. What really turned me on about the D-max was the design, amount of research done, and eventually the workings of the Allison (I wasn't totally sold on an automatic b/c of the 4L80E)

I wont own another HD pickup without a diesel engine or an allison tranny smile.gif

tanker
12-26-2004, 02:42
Worked and drove heavy and medium duty Diesels, but drove gas engine personel vehicles, but hated the low mpg's with the gas engine, which got worse when towing. Bought our first Diesel suburban in 95 to tow with and also for a daily driver. We saw about a 20%-25% increase in mpg with the 6.5TD.
Ten years later, we are updating to a new D-Max, but after 30 years of driving a suburban we opted for a crew cab K-3500. The longer WB, and increased HP/Torque will get us and our trailer over the mountains with ease.
Yes more frequent oil changes and more oil capacity, with a Diesel and I suppose a list of other items, the Diesel costs more, but is offset by better performance, and fuel economy.
Thats our reasoning for choosing a Diesel. ;)

carco
12-26-2004, 06:07
Mileage, to be different than most, like the diesel characteristics, always liked diesel from farm equipment, years ago to the cutting edge DMax. Dollar wise probably better off w/a gasser for my pickup driving needs but not near as fun!! bob........

Stage1
12-26-2004, 20:12
Reason- power to tow heavy trailer w/lower fuel cost.
Like best - quite engine, transmission is best thing about the truck, it is outstanding!!
Like least - the seat belts totally S...!! the dealer can not/won't fix them. Now we just do not use them. They choke you to death for $49K!

No will not buy another GM truck if it has these seat belts. Do not like Fords but if the seat belts work you can ride safely.

Jorday
12-27-2004, 20:03
I got it because I wanted the power the Duramax has to offer. The only real negative thing is the initial cost, but I think it's worth the money. I would buy another one in a second.

Seattle Steve
12-28-2004, 15:25
Opted diesel for excellent power with much better economy than any gas engine option. Con is initial cost premium and potential clutch problems (even with the upgraded flywheel, it doesn't feel quite right).

I would make the same choice again for a reliable diesel that can last long enough to pay back the cost premium. I can pull my trailer with another HD truck on it and still get better mileage (14)than most gas powered pickups without a load.

The wealth of knowledge and personable folks on this site won me over when I last made the choice. Thanks!

Tough Guy
12-29-2004, 19:55
Diesels are the optimum mode of transportation of all things including: Travel trailers, Boats, Utility trailers, ATV's, Horses, People and all neccesary gear for the above mentioned.

*Better fuel mileage=longer intervals between stops.
*More power=less stress while pulling in the mountains.
*Resale=Diesels are a hot commodity on new or used markets.

Would I do it again? Well I've owned three Diesel powered trucks and I keep coming back for more! So Yeah!

Cheers

joe hatfield
12-30-2004, 13:32
I didn't really choose, its kind of a habit. I have owned more diesels than I can recall, starting in the 1960's. I like the low end power and pulling power of a diesel and the fuel mileage dosn't hurt so bad. I really like the quietness of the new engines, I spent way to many years listening to unmuffled log trucks, dump trucks, and heavy equipment to enjoy the noise anymore. I still own 6 diesels of one form or another and will never buy another gas powered rig(except for my wifes car). Of course if my new Dodge lasts as long as my 93 GMC 6.5 I'll be dead and gone before i have another chance to buy anyway.

jackrabbit
01-25-2005, 15:45
My last purchase , before getting the Dmax, was a 94 1500 extended cab with the 5 speed. I ended up with the 4.3 V6 because I wanted the heavy duty manual at the time and they would not give me the small V8 with the heavy duty option. I still wanted to get some decent MPG so I got the V6 instead of the 5.4l V8.

Now 11 years later, I still like to shift for myself and Chevy does not offer the extended cab with a manual transmision in the 1/2 ton class (Why they don't do this is a mystery to me). I want the extra room that the EXT cab has, and in order to get the manual you have to go to the 2500HD series where the smallest engine is the 6.0L V8. I still want to get respectable MPG and I know that the Diesel option would do that espically with this big of truck. I hadn't heard that the Dmax had that many problems since its release so I bought one. I also own a 85 6.2l diesel STD cab, so I was already familar with diesels and how to maintain them.

chris duncan
01-26-2005, 06:26
I bought my dad's 99 chevy 4x4 2500 ext cab 6.0L gas pickup truck to tow my jeep wrangler around with. It was a good truck towed great, but in the hills it had to work to make it up. I put like like 36,000 miles on it the 2 1/2 years I had it. The reason i went with the Duramax was because of the power & fuel economy it offers. I got a 2005 Chevy Ext Cab 4x4 2500HD fully loaded and i love it. I can climb hills with ease while towing my jeep. I have a jeep grand cherokee for the times when i need a small vechile to get around with.

BozDMAX
01-26-2005, 07:57
1) Why did you choose the diesel option?
Power, mileage, longevity.

2) Like best? Power to spare. Never feel like I cannot trust it to pull.

3) Like least? Price of diesel fuel. What's with that, anyway?

4) Buy it again? In a heartbeat.

Breakeven point on the diesel option for me was about 48K miles. I almost drove that just last year.

crafty
01-26-2005, 08:30
When I was eight or nine and living on the farm we had a 3 cyd gas tractor that would stall when it was damp. One day it left me sitting at the corner half a mile from home and would not start. I swore from then on that I would have nothing to do with gas engines. I like the power and the reliability of a diesel not to mention the low maintenance requirements. I have driven diesel trucks since 1979 and I currently own the Dmax and a 3 cyd perkins diesel in my tractor. Neither one has left me at the corner. :D :D :D