PDA

View Full Version : Going to track, any advice??

kevin21
09-23-2003, 10:30
I'm heading to the dragway this weekend with a friend (to run his car). I thought I might run a few times just for fun. I've got hot juice and aFe stage 2, and a hi-flow muffler.

I've seen some guys here say they "launch" with 10lbs of boost. I guess this is by pressing the brakes and gas to get the turbo on, right? THere's no other way to do it with and auto, oh, besides neutral drop, i mean, tranny drop (ouch!!!). But, brake torqing can't be good on the trans either...

Also, when launching in 4x4 hi do you switch it back to 2wd or leave it in the whole run??

And, should I remove the tailgate and spare for fun? Does it really matter?

Should I pick up some fuel additive? If so what kind?

Last question, what is the best level of fuel to run on? 1/4 tank? I think too much and its too heavy but too little and there's less traction advantage compared to the weight....

THANKS!!! With your help it should be a fun day!!

BassinRVer
09-23-2003, 11:26
Power brake it. Put in drive in 4X4 push hard on the brake and biuld 10 PSI of boost with the accelerator when the light turns green let off the brake and slam the accelerator and HOLD ON WITH TWO HANDS. Do not worry about trying to switch out of four wheel drive because it will not come out of four wheel drive until you slow down.

Tailgate is up to you.

You should already be using an additive. Total Power, JK sells it.

In four wheel drive you will have alot of traction. Some people go to the track with 1/4 of a tank but it is up to you. Remember you have to get to a DIESEL station afterwards.

Be prepared to get a front end alignment and/or even break/bend the tierods. 10 PSI is hard to try to mantain while your trying to anticipate the green light.

red sled
09-24-2003, 09:29
Someone needs to invent an electric motor to drive the turbo. Something like a starter motor that can engage, and then when the engine RPM comes to the level that will maintain the desired amount of boost the motor can disengage and the exhaust gasses can take over.