PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust brake - NO WARRANTY

Timstoy
03-14-2004, 07:17
A friend of mine was pulling his 5th wheel with his 2002 D/A (21K) in California a couple months ago when he broke a valve and ended up wrecking his engine. The GM garage (not the dealer he purchased the truck from) checked with GM service rep and because he had a Banks exhaust brake installed on his truck would not authorize warranty on the install of a new engine that was required.
The truck was not chipped, just a brake which was installed by an authorized Banks dealer. My friend elected to pay for the new engine ($19,000)so he could get the truck back on the road and then fight it out with Banks and GM on the warranty. GM wants the motor back (worth a $3500 core charge)and Banks wants the brake back before they can detemine further. His attorney advised him to keep everything while he acts on his behalf.
Has anyone had a similar engine failure either with or without a brake installed on their truck ? And did GM or the exhaust brake manufacturer pay the warranty claim ?

Kennedy
03-14-2004, 17:11
Yikes! That's half the truck cost!

Hope he gets some satisfaction...

mark45678
03-14-2004, 17:22
I thought I had read something from Gm that there MD dmax motor was certified for somthing like 56 lbs of packpressure....meaning exhaust brake! if he could find this info and get part number for a crate engine for MD and LT truck ...I would bet the long block is the same... I have heard ouf other dmax motors that went south because of droping valves in...with out Exhaust brakes

DmaxMaverick
03-14-2004, 19:28
I would have to call foul on that dealer! You can get an exhaust brake as an OEM option on the MD trucks. The engines are the same where it counts.

Valves happen. With or without an exhaust brake.

19 grand sure seems high. I would expect it much less, unless they are replacing it with a complete drop-in (lot more than a long block) and charging you by the hour for their slowest, least experienced tech.

Just don't let them break the starter. He'll have to eat that one, too!

Kennedy
03-15-2004, 05:44
The tough part may be proving that the brake was adjusted properly when installed, and that back psi did not exceed the prescribed limit.

Referencing the MD application of an OEM installed brake as mentioned above is a very good idea...

I'd also suggest your friend join the Diesel Page.

LA DMAX
03-16-2004, 21:09
Sorry about your buddy Timstoy. I second Kennedy, you can get alot of advice here at TDP, lots of knowledge on this board. This will be an interesting one to follow. $19,000 sure seems like alot of cash to lay down for a motor. I wonder if GM would void your warranty if you used the wrong windshield washer fluid?

LA DMAX

R Hood
10-07-2004, 15:09
This sounds all too familiar. What was the outcome?

As I posted earlier, I am in a very similar warranty dispute 4,000 miles from home.

Any updates would be much appreciated.

McRat
10-14-2004, 09:03
A version of the 6.6L engine comes from the FACTORY with an exhaust brake. You can option it on the 4500 trucks.

Dealer is full of do-do.