PDA

View Full Version : White Smoke

denverdale
09-22-2003, 10:31
I have a 2002 ext cab, short bed, d/a and it is completely stock. Truck has 1600 miles on it. Today as I pulled into the garage, it spewed out a LARGE cloud of white smoke. It had never done that before. I have noticed a loud taping noise recently after I drive it for a while. Also I feel that the power is down a little bit. After the white smoke covered the neighborhood, all at once my radio volume came up. I also noticed this morning while the truck was still cool and I was stopped at a stop light, the engine would sort of surge. I also notied lately that if you are stopped at a stop light and apply just enough throttle pressure to move off of idle, the engine runs real rough.
All of that being said, does it sound like I may have a bad set of injectors? I don't recall seeing a SES light when all of this happened. The engine does sound noisyer than it did in the past.
I will take it to the dealer in the morning. Hope it isn't anything serious.

Thanks for any replies on this subject.

Denver Dale

Applecore
09-22-2003, 14:19
We had the white smoke this summer at Livingston MT. Was a bad injector. Replaced under warranty. It is an all day job. Good Luck!
I would be interested to know if that is what you have found out.

dmaxalliTech
09-22-2003, 17:36
Sounds like the telltale signs of failure of one or more injectors :(

denverdale
09-23-2003, 09:33
Took the truck in today and the dealer confirmed that I had one bad injector ( #1 cyl.). I'll post again when I get the truck back and see the work order detail.

DenverDale

zip
09-23-2003, 10:40
Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember some previous threads about late 01/early 02 models having injector failures. Hope you come out ok on it.

zip

denverdale
09-24-2003, 08:51
Got the truck back this morning. Here is what the work order said.
"16238 Cylinder #1 fuel injector misfire checked fuel rail vacuum 2.5 in. hg. checked codes with tech2 code p0301 found, road tested for 4 miles checked operation of fuel injector, fuel injector 1 at 15mm at idel in drive and nutral spec is +/- 3mm nec to replace fuel injector number 1 left side of engine, check for pi's and bullitens on idel surge pcm programing higher than pi indicater and surge of 100 rpm normal for operaton of duramax, striped head on one hex bolt on lower valve cover nec to replace hex bolt clear codes degrease engine and road test for 4 more miles"

N/C

Truck seemed to run fine now. Do have a strong diesel smell but don't see any leaks. Suspect the smell will burn off soon.

DenverDale